SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thoughts on CZ Scorpion vs. MP5 clone
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on CZ Scorpion vs. MP5 clone Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Just a reminder that the OP did claim that he could build a MP5 for about $1K, which is about what a Scorpion costs, plus he said he already had a dozen MP5 mags. So, assuming that the price of the guns were about the same, and that the cost of mags isn’t an issue, would people still recommend the Scorpion definitively over an MP5?

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
That's a tough call Dwill ...

Two points, the Scorpion is much easier to clean and its also easier to mount optic's on (which is why on my SD and K have the optic rail welded on, but the rail height is such that cheek weld off a bit, at least for me.

I've got a the MP5, MP5SD and MP5K (all clones) but I still really like my Scorpion.
The regular MP5 is probably my least favorite ... but I've also had it MUCH longer that the SD and K

Still, if I take an MP out my Scorpion usually tags along for the ride ... especially since I got the binary trigger for it.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First if you want to build something have at it. In almost every instance (including this one) building it is a cost saver assuming you never count your time or tools or debugging. But building an MP5 is not like an AR.
So you can buy a CZ have it run out of the box or you can become your own mfg with all that entails. If you like that go for it. and if you were to buy a real MP5 clone its way more than the CZ.
Me at the same price point I would pick the CZ every day. Gun is inexpensive, mags are cheap, the aftermarket is robust and cheap, I don't want anything without an optic anymore, it has a warranty.
I love the MP5, its history and design. But unless I had a trigger pack I can't imagine buying/building one versus the CZ>
just me though.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I have a mp5 sbr and really like it, original hk mags are expensive though. it runs 99 percent still have a jam now and then. that being said I'm going to be getting a cz after holding one last week a customer brought in to have a red dot put on it fit's me perfect, also going to put the folder brace and tall hook on it, and a few more upgrades.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the insight and feedback provided. I'm thinking a Scorpion is in my future.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1073 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am betting you will be very happy with the cz.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

I've been pretty happy with every CZ I own ...

I can't seem to take a decent picture of my Shadow2, so I stole this off GunBroker ...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

I've been pretty happy with every CZ I own ...

I can't seem to take a decent picture of my Shadow2, so I stole this off GunBroker ...

The simple fact is that you almost have to try to buy a stinker of a gun anymore. Most of them run, do so efficiently, have great intervals between cleanings, support is good for most newer and many older models not in production. We truly live in a golden age of firearms. we could be in the 1960's where the go to PCC was a re-aresonaled m1 carbine. Today it comes down to personal desires, fit and finish tastes, ammo cost and any other minutia one can dream up.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
For cool factor, the MP5 wins any day. I rented PTR's clone and had an abject blast...until I tried to run drills with it like I run my MPX.

For any serious purpose, I would pick the MPX (I own two), or the Scorpion. I have no experience with other PCCs or faux submachine guns, so I can't comment there.

FWIW unless you're super OCD and married to the AR manual of arms (me), I believe the benefits of the MPX over the Scorpion do not justify the premium you pay, unless you want to pay it. 80/20 rule in action.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Until you train with the MP5 and develop the muscle memory that you have with the AR/MPX it's not a fair contest ... However the BHO alone is a huge advantage, possibly the only signifant advantage. The ease of mounting Optic's is just the cherry on top Smile

posted Hide Post
My CZ Scorpion is one of my favorite "fun guns" to take to the range, especially when letting friends shoot it. Everyone who has shot mine has loved it. And I think it's one of the best values (quality/capability/fun vs. cost) out of all the guns I've owned.

[/QUOTE]

Hate to be a lurker but where did you get that sling loop attachment for your Vickers sling Rogue?

Posts: 220 | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's a Blue Force Gear ULoop.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/uloop

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
It's a Blue Force Gear ULoop.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/uloop

Man, those are slick...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
CZ scorpion upgrades identified so far;
1 trigger spring 2 right safety delete 3 Duckbill mag release 4 Charging handle 5 Grip 6 Trigger 7 U loop.
Kinda like a Ruger 10/22. Plenty of upgrades.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
CZ scorpion upgrades identified so far;
1 trigger spring 2 right safety delete 3 Duckbill mag release 4 Charging handle 5 Grip 6 Trigger 7 U loop.
Kinda like a Ruger 10/22. Plenty of upgrades.

Here's a thread from 2017 that runs through the upgrades I put on mine. The initial post has a discussion on some of the initial upgrades I tried, and there's another post about 2/3 the way down the 1st page with details on the final configuration.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5110054824

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
everybody is different. But I am totally happy with nothing more than the right side safety delete and the HBI trigger spring.
Grip, charging handle etc. etc. simply not meaningful to me.
Don't overthink the thing till you shoot the snot out of it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
everybody is different. But I am totally happy with nothing more than the right side safety delete and the HBI trigger spring.

I agree, that is all I did to mine save the 922r parts when I got my stamp. I do want a binary trigger just because however.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
You guys convinced me--I'm in for the Scorpion.
I have enough MP5 clones--as I continue to follow Kimberkid

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

Yep. I actually mention that in my extensive writeup I linked to in the post above yours.

While I ended up putting about $250 worth of upgrades in mine, I think the only truly "necessary" upgrades are the right side safety and trigger spring. Those will run you only about $40, or even less if you simply chop the right side safety yourself.

Third most "necessary" would probably be the grip, especially if you're using a brace, since having a more vertical grip helps with a more comfortable wrist angle with that short length of pull. That'll run you another $30-$50 for most aftermarket grips, but Magpul just last week released a Scorpion grip that's cheaper than the other aftermarket grips: https://www.magpul.com/product...ip-cz-scorpion-evo-3

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
And Rogue