SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 62
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Looks like the dot edged out the irons in time and hits.

Very nicely done!

If the outdoor range officers will allow, I'd like to try it with a revolver and a semi-auto with red-dot-or-not, too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I should have brought a holster for the Smith as it would have made for a better comparison, but I wasn't really thinking about it when I left for the range. I like revolvers, but I'm definitely not as fast with one as I am with a semi-auto.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
As expected, the shot timer isn't useful on an indoor range if people are firing in the lanes next to you.

Edited, Sunday:

Packed up my favorite Steel challenge revolver/ammo/hoster/belt and a semi-auto with red dot/holster/belt and headed to the range.

Range officer said Ok for drawing from holster but no speed shooting, meaning one shot per second max, unless shooting a formally club sanctioned competition like steel challenge, IDPA, bowling pins etc.

So I said, 'fine', went into a snit like a little girl, packed up my gear and went home to
resume clearing vines, Brazilian pepper and scrub fom property.

I clean and lube my pruners, hedge trimmers and Kuhkri machete with WD40 as I go. What do you guys use on chain saw blades?

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well that sucks. I'm not sure how folks are supposed to get in meaningful practice when ranges won't let you shoot at speed. I get the liability aspect and that there are idiots out there, but designing policies to the lowest common denominator hurts those who are putting in the time and effort to get better.

I'm not a chainsaw expert...more just a recreational user who breaks it out a few times a year when limbs come down in a storm or the like. I imagine Fritz is going to be able to offer more wisdom in this area. I just keep the auto-oiler in my crappy Poulon Pro topped off and let it do it's job...it seems to work ok. I try to keep the chains out of the dirt and typically just treat them as disposable. At the amount of cutting I do, they usually last me a few years. I've considered getting a sharpener, but not sure it would be worth the expense and effort.

I did give the saw a good workout last week over at the in-law's when they paid a tree guy to drop a few trunks and trim some other limbs off. They got it all on the ground and left them for me to do the cleanup...saved a bunch of money that way and I got some wood for evening campfires. The chainsaw is an amazing tool...the yard looked like a warzone when I started, and with the kids helping haul brush to the burn pile and load the good stuff in the truck, we had it all cleaned up in less than 2 hours. 2 tanks of gas, 2 tanks of bar oil, a brush pile half the size of the house, and 2 full truckloads of firewood hauled home and stacked. Not a bad evening's work.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I clean and lube my pruners, hedge trimmers and Kuhkri machete with WD40 as I go. What do you guys use on chain saw blades?

Akin to cleaning firearms, there are many ways to maintain saw chains.

I'm still cleaning up old, dirty, and rotten wood -- a few the trees have been on the ground for decades. So I'm using my old Stihl and old chains for this. After a day at the ranch, I need a trip to the car wash to hose down the undercarriage of my 4Runner -- cow poop and all. The chainsaw gets a quick shot from the car wash wand, both soap and rinse water. That gets rid of the oily dirt and sawdust.

I keep my oiler at maximum output. With Stihl saws, this means I consume about 90% of the oil reservoir for each tank of gas. In reality, this is about all most people need to do. And of course, keep their chains sharp.

When a chain gets super dirty from dirt, I let it soak in a tub with mineral spirits. Turpentine works a little better -- if you're OK with the smell. Then I hose the chain down at the car wash with soap and water. Understand that if a chain is this gunked up with dirt, the bar probably needs cleaning. Dirt in the bar wears it prematurely.

I sharpen my chains with a Timberline tool. It's OK. Harder than I expected to set up properly, and get balanced sharpening of teeth on both sides of the chain. I have one chain that's been in dirt and hit a few rocks. I just can't seem to make it cut straight, so it's going to my local Stihl guy to have it sharpened on a grinder.

Posts: 7844 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, I think it's time for a new one, but I'm not even sure how to score this one. Considering none of us managed a clean run, I'd say Richard takes the trophy for getting 3 on target in under 4 seconds...that's pretty blazing fast!

So Richard, what are we doing next?

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I win because I missed faster? Big Grin

I demand a recount! lol.

OK, I'll think of something.

Edit: There may be a slight delay in service, due to technical difficulties.

I am now the proud owner of a cute little Ryobi battery powered chain saw. And of course it came with did not come with lubricating oil in the box.
So I stopped in at ACE and bought a bottle. How is this oil different than 30W motor oil?

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Our outdoor range is closed due to Hurricane Nicole damage, so I'll propose a repeat
rimfire bullseye match, but with two hand-ed grip.

https://www.silvercitygunclub.com/Img_Web/p50rf.jpg
https://www.silvercitygunclub.com/Img_Web/p50sf.jpg

Any .22 RF pistol. any sights, two handed!
50 feet.

1) slow fire, 10 shots in ten minutes or less, on the B-2 Slowfire Pistol Target
2) timed fire, 2 - five shot strings, 20 seconds each
3) rapid fire, 2-five shot strings, 10 seconds.

Both timed and rapid fire on the B-3 Pistol Target.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
two handed!

Now you're talking! Big Grin. We'll give it a go.

Sucks about your range...how bad is it? My wife and daughter drove down to Orlando yesterday with her brother from Ft. Walton to go to Universal...she said it rained quite a bit on the drive but wasn't too bad. They had fun at the park today. I had to work so Noah and I stayed home in Indiana where there are no hurricanes!

As to 30W motor oil vs bar and chain oil, I'm not sure. I know the stuff I bought for my saw is much thicker.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I am now the proud owner of a cute little Ryobi battery powered chain saw. And of course it came with did not come with lubricating oil in the box.
So I stopped in at ACE and bought a bottle. How is this oil different than 30W motor oil?

quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
As to 30W motor oil vs bar and chain oil, I'm not sure. I know the stuff I bought for my saw is much thicker.

Chainsaw bar oil is thicker than regular motor oil. I've heard that the thickeners can be types of grease, such as lithium grease. If the bar oil isn't thick enough, it tends to get spun out of the chain & the groove in the bar when the chain zings around the bar's nose.

Bars are wear parts -- akin to a gun's barrel. Bars can last a pretty long time, but eventually they become toast. I tend to keep my chains tighter on the bar than my Stihl dealer recommends, and unfortunately this practice increases bar wear. But I cut at so many angles, in funky wood, across branches -- I regularly throw chains (i.e. they come off the bar) if they aren't fairly tight.

The ACE-brand bar oil in the black plastic jugs is good stuff. ACE sells it in both quart and gallon jugs around here.

Posts: 7844 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Slow fire B-2 70
Timed&Rapid Fire B-3, 20 seconds limit 89-1X
Timed&Rapid Fire, B-3 10 seconds limit 68-1X

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice work Richard!

My wife and the younger kids were in Florida for the week, and my brother came out from Ohio. The original plan was for him, Noah, and I to go backpack camp the Manistee River Trail in Michigan, but the weather forecast was crappy, calling for snow and sleet, so we opted to go south instead to a different trail in Indiana.

The forecast was good until the day before, when they started calling for snow. We figured it would be flurries, and it had just started when we arrived at the trailhead. By the time we were two miles in, it was building, until ultimately it was about 6" deep. It was also opening day of gun season for deer (which I'd completely forgotten about), and we were walking through public land deer woods, which wasn't the brightest of moves. After hiking 11 miles in the snow, being wet and miserable, and gunfire cracking all around us, we decided to call it a day and drove back to our house.

All was not lost, though, as it gave us a chance to go shoot the postal match!

We each shot it twice...once with the new MkIV and once with my old MkII. The MkII has better sights (although the hold is a bit off between the two), and a MUCH better trigger.

Me with the MkIV: 70 + 75 + 60 = 205 with 0X

Me with the MkII: 70 + 88 + 77 = 235 with 2X

Noah with the MkIV: 57 + 55 + 56 = 168 with 1X

Noah with the MkII: 71 + 76 + 82 = 229 with 0x

Once again, I was glad I didn't trade my MkII on that MkIV....

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Very nice shooting!

Sucks about the camping trip

posted Hide Post
Nice.

A bit different type of shooting for me this past week. Was in Myrtle Beach, SC for a convention, and attached vacation days on both ends. Played golf at 2 great courses. I "shot" poorly on the first day, then improved to just OK on the second.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice Fritz...it's good to take a break every now and then and indulge some of the other hobbies. SC sounds like it would be warm, too...

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Nice change of pace, fritz

posted Hide Post
A opportunity to get some trigger time with the trusty long barrel S&W 41. This pistol is so pleasurable to shoot. First time up, and for score -- 73 + 87 + 83 = 243 total.

A little chilly in the gully where I shot, but the air was dead calm due to the surrounding trees. Glad I didn't shoot in an open pasture, as breezes were variable and cold.

posted Hide Post
I then played with a new 22lr AR15 upper, and had a blast. I was shooting well, so I returned to the pistol targets for another go. I'm glad I did. I don't have records of my scores for when I regularly practiced this game at an indoor range years ago, but I think I was pretty close to my personal best.

83 + 92 + 90 = 265 total. yee-haw

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Excellent targets, fritz!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shootin' Fritz! Looks like that sets you up to pick the next one...what have you got for us?