quote:
This data doesn't support your premise.
https://www.buckeyefirearms.or...ndgun-stopping-power

22 (short, long and long rifle)

# of people shot - 154
# of hits - 213
% of hits that were fatal - 34%
% actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 60%

That's it. I'm switching to .22 short/long/long rifle.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
For those of you who do carry it, what do you feed it?

When I carried mine I loaded it with Hornady XTP.

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tcfiero:
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
For those of you who do carry it, what do you feed it?

Thank you.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ammo Quest's YT channel from about 7-8 years ago said many glowing things about the XTP bullet in .380. According to him, pretty much any company that used the Hornady XTP hollow point for their defensive .380 load had chosen the best hollow point to complement the power of the .380 caliber. That was of course a few years ago, so there may be better projectiles available today.

Frankly if I were to put faith in the .380 caliber, the P232 (or P230) would not be my personal choice of firearm. I dislike the relatively harsh recoil of both of those blowback SIGs; they compromise my ability for quick and accurate follow-up shots, something I ironically have relatively little problem with with the nasty ol' .40 in my EDC G23. However the soft shooting P238, Shield EZ .380 and G42...any of those (or better yet a P365 .380) would be my choice in a .380 only world. Give me a JMB-inspired locking lug any day.

The relative ineffectiveness of 9mm in that study data in the link was a bit surprising, at least until I read some of the data parameters the author used in filtering his case data. The study author did say that he look at actual battle data as well as criminal-based shootings. So I guess insurgents amped up on methamphetamines and screaming "ALLAH ACKBAR" at the top of their lungs does indeed make them more difficult to eliminate off the battlefield.

-MG

Posts: 1932 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Monoblok is right, I took my P230 that I carry when walking the dog to my gun range last week just to make sure it still would do its job. I was surprised at the recoil. That blow back system is a little tough... P239 in 9mm is actually easier to shoot.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's clear the designers of those blowback guns never envisioned the amount of shooting some people do with their handguns today.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The other thread on finding a beautiful PPK/S brought this back up to me. My parents gifted me a beautiful stainless PPK/S back in 1992. I will never give that gun away unless its to one of my kids. That being said, it's kind of a shitty gun using any metric other than sentiment. The DA pull makes a 22 revolver pull seem light. It is atrocious. It also isn't the most reliable gun. It also kicks way more than the caliber and weight would suggest.

These guns are much better as 32's. That is why I bought a 32 barrel for my Beretta 85.

Posts: 7350 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
The other thread on finding a beautiful PPK/S brought this back up to me. My parents gifted me a beautiful stainless PPK/S back in 1992. I will never give that gun away unless its to one of my kids. That being said, it's kind of a shitty gun using any metric other than sentiment. The DA pull makes a 22 revolver pull seem light. It is atrocious. It also isn't the most reliable gun. It also kicks way more than the caliber and weight would suggest.

These guns are much better as 32's. That is why I bought a 32 barrel for my Beretta 85.

A retired and grizzled Chicago Police Instructor who was doing some work for S&W told me when I asked him about the PPK...he said...." ahhhh....the PPK...the gun that everybody owns but nobody shoots. Get yourself a J Frame kid."

That was a long time ago but the guy was way more right than wrong.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:
But 9mm is much more effective than .380, so the P232 was replaced by an LC9s.

Oh, man, beauty and the beast!

No offense meant. The LC9s is a very capable pistol, but the one thing it ain't is pretty. (JMO, YMMV, etc.)

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brand new member to the Forum. First post.

The P232 is actually my preferred carry piece, utilizing “The Original Brave Response Holster”. When combined, the slim design of the P232 (with Hogue’s slip resistant overmolded rubber grip) and the aforementioned durable yet secure fabric holster are a beautifully comfortable setup even when using the extra two magazine slots on your offhand side during a three-hour movie at the theater or ten-hour drive. Also, I shoot left handed. All features on the P232 can be operated left handed (obviously except for the mag release), if your hands are the right size.

I have always carried chambered (and decocked (love the decocking function)) even with the soft, pliable fabric holster. Due to its DA/SA operation, it is designed to be a “discreet carry” piece, foregoing the need for a molded Kydex holster, such as with the Glocks to avoid easier accidental discharge in soft fabric or worn-leather holsters placing minimal pressure on the short trigger pull.
Here’s a quick read I found at the NRA Museum website from American Rifleman issue Nov-Dec 1998:

https://www.nramuseum.org/medi...172/Nov-Dec%2098.pdf

As for the little .380’s stopping power. . . train and hit what you’re supposed to. That little P232 has never failed to fire once. The only issue I have ever had is the widely-known Take Down Lever malfunction. . . WHICH, I actually plan to divot drill and weld the shaft and lever to eliminate the issue. If I remember to, and I’m successful, I’ll document the “repair” and post the results.

I love this little pistol and was disheartened when the Take Down Lever malfunction finally reared its ugly head and discovered the common occurrence, result in people giving up on it all together.

Product Links:
1. Brave Response Holster:
https://www.brshooting.com/product/braveholster/

2. Hogue Soft OverMolded Rubber Grip:
https://www.hogueinc.com/grips...finger-grooves-black

I’d love to hear any feedback. I’ll also share any results of my Take Down Lever “repair” on the appropriate thread.

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 66roadwarrior:

The P232 is actually my preferred carry piece, utilizing “The Original Brave Response Holster”. When combined, the slim design of the P232 (with Hogue’s slip resistant overmolded rubber grip) and the aforementioned durable yet secure fabric holster are a beautifully comfortable setup even when using the extra two magazine slots on your offhand side during a three-hour movie at the theater or ten-hour drive. Also, I shoot left handed. All features on the P232 can be operated left handed (obviously except for the mag release), if your hands are the right size.

I'd argue the that with it's 'Heel Release' design, the P232 is ambidextrous and doesn't discriminate based on the strong hand of the shooter in any way...But you DO need two hands! Wink

Welcome to SIGforum! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8788 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by 66roadwarrior:

I'd argue the that with it's 'Heel Release' design, the P232 is ambidextrous and doesn't discriminate based on the strong hand of the shooter in any way...But you DO need two hands! Wink

Welcome to SIGforum! Cool

Thanks for the welcome. Glad to be a member.
I completely agree. The mag release is the one downside that I wish they would change and start production again.

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
While I never did, one of my closest friends who wasn't much into guns bought a P232 Nightmare that was a GOTM back in the 2002-2005 period when that was a thing on the forum.

That's what his carry piece was up until maybe 2018 and he moved to Colorado he changed to a P220 (he lives in the western part where its rural).

But if he was in a city I'd bet he'd still go back to his P232 and unlike a lot of "gun people", regular people don't always pick the meta carry guns of the moment.

++ I'd wager the old adage my grandpa told me beware a guy with 1 gun because he might actually know how to use it.

Posts: 1467 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post