SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP Login/Join 
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oxcart13:
For those looking to fine tune their POI for their pistols, I removed the stock rear sight to replace them with Novak adjustable type. I did this on both my Compact and SubCompact. From Brownells, the part #is 625-000-009WB. Price is $69. I don't care for night sights, so this modification with standard sights suites me fine. The dovetail on the slide is 0.495 with 65 degree.

Be prepared to apply some heat to remove the stock rear sight. Those sets screws are loc-tited down. On one of my pistols, the Novak sight was a little looser than I liked, so I peened the sight a bit. Then applied loc-tite to the Novak set screw. This is a great mod to an already excellent pistol(s).

I shoot quite a bit of highpower using a 6 o'clock hold, so my sight picture with the pistol mimics 6 o'clock. This sight allows me to adjust elevation precisely.

I have pictures of both pistols with the Novak sights installed if anyone wants to see them. Just don't have a way to post them up.

On another note, like others here, my SubCompact is finicky when it comes ammo. For those who sent their pistol back to Kriss, does anyone know what they did to the chamber? Just polish? Or finish reamer? Hornady 147 XTP shoots really well in my Compact. I'd like to carry one round for both pistols, but the Hornady doesn't chamber well in the SubCompact.

Thanks.

Mark

Excellent info! I'm looking forward to seeing those sights installed.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thom - pics sent via email. Thx for posting.

MP - I removed both barrels from the pistols and dropped in the Hornady Ammo vertically. The SubCompact would not allow the XTP to drop in like the Compact, so there is a chamber difference. Will probably just give it a polish, but wanted to hear from others first.

Thx.

Posts: 6 | Registered: September 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post

From oxcart13

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple more tidbits on the sights. 2000+ rounds on the Compact with that sight to include a Mike Pannone class. He is a huge fan of these pistols. He has one with a fiber optic rod added to the front sight by Cajun Gun Works.

Posts: 6 | Registered: September 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a fiber optic front sight available for the Sub compact? Does the Compact and Sub-compact use the same front sight? I am not interested in night sights unless they are similar to the orange ringed TFO's.

Thank you,
Chris

Posts: 16 | Registered: December 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oxcart13:
A couple more tidbits on the sights. 2000+ rounds on the Compact with that sight to include a Mike Pannone class. He is a huge fan of these pistols. He has one with a fiber optic rod added to the front sight by Cajun Gun Works.

I really appreciate the info and pictures. I really didn't want to send my Subcompact in to get the sights fixed. I will probably go this route. Great post and contribution!

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
10X I can get a contact for you at Sphinx. I would let Kriss deal with it first.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
10X I can get a contact for you at Sphinx. I would let Kriss deal with it first.

Sure, that would be great. I was just not looking forward to sending it out. I love the pistol so I'll be going through withdrawal. A contact would be great.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Sent.

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I decided to order a Compact Duotone from Donna. The Sub Compact is fantastic to the point I have sold off my USP9C and will probably sell off my PPQ M1 and M2. I hope Donna puts a Sphinx Alpha Standard Black under my Christmas tree this year.
Chris

Posts: 16 | Registered: December 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Sent.

Thank you. I ended up getting a person I dealt with before with family from my town. It didn't help. She didn't want to help with shipping which has sort of turned me off of the idea of sending it in, being without it for 6 or so weeks, and possibly getting a pistol back that requires the new combat/reflex/screw up POA that Sig has switched to... I think I'm going to try the Novaks and hold off on shipping to Kriss. The contact with the them hasn't exactly inspired confidence. I DID talk to a trusted dealer about 30 or so miles away that has become a dealer for Kriss/Sphinx and says they'll assist in dealing with Kriss if I decide to go that route (now that's the kind of CS I was hoping to get in the first place from Kriss). That's good to know and I may yet fall to that if the Novak sights end up not fixing the problem.
Just to clarify, my intention is not to bash Sphinx, Kriss, or the thread. This is still one of the coolest handguns I've seen/handled in a while and I've waited a long time to get a Sphinx. The pistol is totally accurate as all hell and built like I'd expect a Swiss pistol to be built. It's just some goober messed up when it came to the sights. They must not be sighting them in upon completion or they would have caught this. To be honest, I was hoping that when I posted about this problem someone would be able to say "you forgot to do ________!" and I'd feel like an idiot, fix the stupid mistake, and be shooting pretty. It's just a sight issue, repairable and not the end of the world. Can't wait to order the Novaks. Prefontaine, thanks for the contact. I'm going to file it away for future use should I change my mind. Still glad you, MusProd, and the other recommended Sphinx. Despite the sights, if my Sig P229 is like a Porsche 911, the Sphinx SDP Subcompact is like a Porsche 968 or GT.

To give credit where it's due, I heard back from Kriss and they said they'd ship it back and repair my Subcompact with the sight issue, probably largely due to Prefontaine (thank you). When I get the shipping label I'll send it in and give them a chance to correct the issue. If it doesn't work out, I'll definitely go the Novak route. I may still get the sights as a back up part. I have four more mags on the way for Donna, yay! I hope they get the Subcompact right for me and send it back with sights that have a POI with the POA exactly where the top of the blade is. Obviously, I'll share the results when I get it back. The few QC issues we are seeing should be easily fixed with some QC improvements. At least CS is working to take care of them until they get QC ramped up a little more. Fortunately, I've not had any feed problems or anything other than the sights. Still, amazing pistols. I hope they make some of the other models without a rail in the future. That's one of the main reasons I went with the Sub. I hope Sphinx is here to stay.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10X-Shooter,

Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
Despite the sights, if my Sig P229 is like a Porsche 911, the Sphinx SDP Subcompact is like a Porsche 968 or GT.

No! No! No!

The 968 was a 3 liter inline 4 and basically just a hopped up 944. Now maybe a 911 GT3 would be closer to the Sphinx

MP

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: October 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MusProd:
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
Despite the sights, if my Sig P229 is like a Porsche 911, the Sphinx SDP Subcompact is like a Porsche 968 or GT.

No! No! No!

The 968 was a 3 liter inline 4 and basically just a hopped up 944. Now maybe a 911 GT3 would be closer to the Sphinx

MP

Sorry, I couldn't resist! Once upon a time I had a sweet 924. I love stirring the pot with 911 owners. Thanks for the respinse, I am laughing so hard my side hurts. I was waiting for so,done to chime in on that.

Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
Now the 924 was a beautiful, lithe car, and one of my favorite Porsches.

I raced 928's in Porsche Club racing for 10 seasons. I had so much fun beating the air-cooled rear engine traditionalists who barely recognized my car as a Porsche.

BTW, the 3.0 liter 968 engine was basically a bored out half of the 928's V-8.

MP

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: October 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
That was you!

Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
Laughing!!!!

Very close. That 928 is from 1978-1981. The "phone dial" wheels date it. My initial car was a 928 S with the 4.7 liter, compared to 4.5 liter V-8, and it had the disk wheels.

I then had a 1990 928 S4 with the engine increased to 5.0 liters.

In 1986 Al Holbert driving a 1987 model S4, set a world speed record of 171 mph making the S4 the fastest non-turbo/super charged production car in the world. Same model car I had and was available off a dealer's showroom.

Tremendous car!!!!!

MP

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Big Grin. Sorry for the thread drift, I just had to have a little laugh. I tried to look remarkably like Tom Cruise back then and pulled it off fairly well. If you squinted, half drunk, and had just seen that picture you might think we looked alike! I had a 1984 924 rebuilt engine with tan interior and a burgundy color. Mine looked just like this:

Not my photo. Wish I still had it. It was a fun car to drive for a four banger. It beat the hell out of my first car, a '76 Vega.

Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
My last car post.

My 1991 928 S4

My current ride. BMW Z4M Coupe'

MP

Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
I have a tracking number showing my DuoTone is due at my FFL in 2 days. This being Thursday, Saturday should be a fun day.

MP

Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
I was curious as to what Donna thought now that she handled the duotone.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post