SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which revolver backup for pig hunting?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which revolver backup for pig hunting? Login/Join 
posted
If you were pig hunting with a rifle, but wanted a sidearm revolver, what would you choose? Interested in something with manageable recoil where any follow up shots could be fast and reasonably accurate.

Pig size would typically be 300 lbs. max., normally under 200 lbs.
If new, probably something in stainless. But if used, a blued steel revolver would be satisfactory.

-c1steve

Posts: 4038 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
If you were pig hunting with a rifle, but wanted a sidearm revolver, what would you choose? Interested in something with manageable recoil where any follow up shots could be fast and reasonably accurate.

Pig size would typically be 300 lbs. max., normally under 200 lbs.
If new, probably something in stainless. But if used, a blued steel revolver would be satisfactory.

Lots of good possibilities but it hard to beat a Smith 686. Light enough to carry but heavy enough to be manageable with heavy 357 magnum loads.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
A three inch K-frame in .357 magnum.

Posts: 6659 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
.357 and .44 Magnum work well, and are common for hog hunting sidearms (or even long guns).

I've also seen several hogs killed at close range with .45 ACP pistol shots.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
A Gen 4 Glock 40 MOS.

Posts: 9103 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
A .357 magnum with hard cast bullets should be sufficient.

Smith K or L frame guns would be on my list.

I have a K frame Model 65 with 3" barrel but for your task I'd probably prefer a 4" barrel gun....

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
A Gen 4 Glock 40 MOS.

I was planning on using my Glock 20, but feel like being a tradionalist this time.
-----
I note there are no votes for Ruger, which I suspect is due to the rougher trigger, etc.

-c1steve

Posts: 4038 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I’d likely go with one of these two: a S&W 27-2 .357 Magnum with either a 3-1/2” or 5” barrel.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Ruger GP100 .357 or a Redhawk in .41mag.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34068 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How is the recoil, for follow up shots, in .41 and .44 magnum?

And for the Smiths, are older guns as good as newer ones? What vintage/years are best?

-c1steve

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:

And for the Smiths, are older guns as good as newer ones? What vintage/years are best?

I’ll admit, I’m severely biased toward the pinned-and-recessed era of S&W revolvers, more out of tradition / history than anything else. That said, I’ve owned some of the newer breed of their guns and they were perfectly capable.

I chuckle a bit at myself here: for all my talk of “older” Smiths, the revolver that rides in a pocket holster with me daily is a 642 Airweight with the dreaded on-board lock haha. It has also been an exemplary gun.

As far as years go, I think the pinned barrels / recessed chambers were phased out by the early ‘80s or so. The two 27-2s that I posted above date to the early- to mid- 1970s, IIRC.

Edited to add one more caveat with yet another self-deprecating chuckle: I’m not a hunter haha! Given your scenario, though, and if I was headed afield as such, I’d still pick one of these 27s as a sidearm. I’d likely go with a 158-grain hollow point (assuming such ammo is “allowed” for hunting) or a jacketed soft-point in the same weight.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheFrontRange,

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it was me , I would just take my Smith & Wesson 2 3/4 inch model 69. But I reload and otherwise, if I didn't reload, I would try several factory loads to find the load that worked best for me. I think the 69 makes a good all around woods / hunting back-up for bow hunting too

Posts: 58 | Registered: October 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Magnum Research BFR in .30-30. Was with a guy who put 5 rounds from a 44 mag and the pig only went down after I gave him my AR.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
If the handgun is a backup for inclose shooting a Glock 29SF (10mm) would work loaded with Underwood 200gr. Gun is small enough to be out of the way until you needed. Bonus when you pull the trigger it always goes bang.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1520 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd just do a 10mm S&W 610. perfect for this.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10965 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Ruger Alaskan. For me it points instinctively well. Underwood hard cast ammo. Your choice of caliber. 454 Casull hard to shoot. 480 Ruger easier to shoot. N.B. I have never been hunting for this game with the Alaskan, but have owned both calibers. I would look very carefully at the entirety of any Ruger revolver for machining quality.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For pigs? If it must be a revolver, 686 with appropriate ammo (not self defense ammo). For your back up, it’s better to ask what handgun would you hunt a pig with. In my case these are: 7.5 FK BRNO with F9 ammo, G40 10mm with CEB or Lehigh penetrators, G40 9x25 with same bullets as the 10.

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
My 3in SP101 is always with me when in the woods. And yes, I do have larger frame revolvers too, just like size and weight for carrying.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm by no means an expert... but I lean toward the 357 or 44 with a solid bullet such as full metal jacket. I suspect the skull of those critters is hard and you want something that will punch through. Then again even penetrating the brain on a lot of primitive animals does not kill them immediately... I once had to put 5 rounds of 9mm in the head of a possum before it stopped moving.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
Since you have a Glock 20, why not a 10MM wheel gun? Both Smith and Ruger have fine options.

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post