SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P239 in 40s&w?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P239 in 40s&w? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Does anyone remember who was selling those mag floor plates (I have one in that photo) that allowed one more round? I got a few of them, maybe from Top Gun Supply, about 10 yrs. ago. Anyone still making them?

Yeah, I got mine from TGS in March 2013:
SKU "SIG239+1KIT"
WL "HS J2"
PRODUCT "Sig Sauer Magazine P239 .40/.357 Magazine Plus 1 Kit"

I believe they were a Sig OEM part, but not totally certain. The plastic bags mine came in show the PRODUCT (above) but have no Sig Part Number. I bought a bunch of them ($12.95 ea). While they were billed as +1 for the P239 .40/.357 Sig mags, mine worked just fine with my P239 9mm mags as well. Were/are totally reliable in both calibers.

Not aware whether they are still offered by anybody (Added - see below). Tough slog, since the pistol was discontinued years ago. Good luck.

P.S. Just found this:
https://www.topgunsupply.com/s...zine-plus-1-kit.html

Added - just found this from Galloway. Either 9mm or .40:
https://gallowayprecision.com/...for-sig-p239-pistols
https://www.sigtalk.com/thread...arket-1-kits.263274/

My 2017 post:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...540014624#4540014624

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nipper,

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. I grabbed the P239 today. I was planning on grabbing the MK25, but it turned out be a CA-compliant gun with a loaded chamber indicator and 10 rd mags. No thanks. I'll run some rounds through the P239 tomorrow and start rounding up other caliber barrels, extra mags and am considering refinishing options. I took the grips off and the frame is a little more haggard than I had noticed the other day.

Are these frames aluminum or alloy? I can't remember which can't easily be refinished.

Posts: 3549 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Aluminum. CCR does a great job of coating them. My Duty weapon is dinged to hell from my wedding ring. Once I retire and it's mine I'll probably get them to recoat it for me.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
How did Robar deal with aluminum frames? I've had them do a few for me and the NP3 looked exactly the same on the aluminum frame as on the carbon steel slide. I have a P220 and P228 with aluminum frames CCR refinished for me and the frames, while very well done, look like they're painted

Posts: 3549 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Cslinger above is right...

and yes, with a 357/40 one all you have to do is drop in a 9mm barrel and you can shoot the lesser costly ammo in it... keep the 357/40 recoil spring and magazine the same even though I prefer to use 9mm mags when doing this. Actually did it on Tuesday with my latest P239.

standard factory 357/40 mags are 7 round capacity but I have some that are 8 which is the same as the standard 9mm ones.

Don't know why sig did it but the magazines specifically marked 357sig have a side groove to line up the necked down rounds better I guess and so standard 40 cal will not go in... but 40 cal mag work fine with the 357 ammo.

I use a 9mm recoil spring and a 9mm barrel when I shoot 9mm rounds out of my .357 Sig OEM P239. Using .357 Sig or .40 S&W rounds with the same recoil spring, and .40 S&W magazines with either works well. The .357 Sig magazines are reserved for those rounds exclusively. All in all, it's a pretty versatile pistol, though I've done the same thing (multiple barrels, mags, and springs) with my P229R and have even gone the extra step of using a SAO frame when the urge hits me.

FWIW: The 9mm set up in my P239 is the most accurate of the three calibers I can use.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10208 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried one for about 8 months a year, my other gun was a p229 in the winter until I switched to pocket carry.

Mine has three barrels, 9mm, .40, and .357sig.

I would guess I carried the .40 most of the time.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I have a 239 that stays set up as 357, and a 229 that stays as a 40

Some years back I was routinely swopping both of them back and forth between 357 and 40, but it got confusing and I decided to keep each of them at a fixed caliber

Posts: 19602 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I think two of my P239's in 357 sig came also with a 40 cal. barrel and so last year I broke down and bought a box of 40s.... just to see.... Its okay but at least in a P239... I'll stick with the 357 Sig.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I had, and sold, two P239s (a 9mm and a .357SIG SAS) at different times. The ergonomics just didn't grow on me.

Until.

Third time's the charm: Tried out a .40, switched out the factory grip panels for Hogue checkered G10s, and found it an absolute game-changer now that I could actually establish and maintain a proper grip.

It gets a bunch of carry-time now. If I could find a factory 357 barrel, the experience would be complete. Better chance of finding a straight male in a Starbucks than one of those right now, it seems.

Posts: 2469 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
I didn't care for mine until I replaced the grips.

quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
The ergonomics just didn't grow on me.

Until.

Third time's the charm: Tried out a .40, switched out the factory grip panels for Hogue checkered G10s, and found it an absolute game-changer now that I could actually establish and maintain a proper grip.

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Very comfortable to shoot with Hogue finger groove grips.

quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Lots of love for the P239 .40.

Forgot to mention my grip change. Stock grips & front strap don't secure well. Several other good options. Mine is the Hogue G10's. Back strap has some grip to it. Combine that with skateboard tape on the front strap and the gun locks in nicely under recoil.

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
It's not my favorite Sig but it is a sexy little pistol especially with Nill's on it.

And then there's the pics of owner's P239's w/ non-factory grips in this thread too.

I think changing the grips on this gun is the best upgrade that can be made.

Posts: 7372 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Wanted to revive this one. I've had a really good few mos. at work and have money burning a hole in my pocket (grabbed another P365XL two weeks ago). I dug around my old emails and found the exchange with the guy who bought my NP3'ed P239 three years ago and he's willing to sell it back to me. Oh man. I so don't want to get back into .40, but I love that gun. If we can work out the right deal, I may get it back in the next few days.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
It should not be too hard to find a 9mm barrel for it and from my experience that's all you will need to shoot 9mm. Now as for finding a 357 sig barrel... that will probably take some time.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I already have a P239 in .357SIG. Can I use that barrel or do I need a conversion barrel? Wouldn't Barsto sell those?

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
.357 SIG and .40 caliber barrels are factory interchangeable (in a .40/.357SIG P239). IIRC .40 mags will run .357 SIG but .357 SIG mags will not run .40. This is unique to the P239.

I can’t speak to dropping in a 9mm barrel of any kind in a .40/.357 gun.

I know I’ve said it before but I really like .40 out of the P229/239. They are pussycats with this caliber. .357 SIG in general terms isn’t my bag. Too much flash/bang/concussion for my liking. Very little recoil but that little sucker roars. I like .357 mag but I think the difference is I see .357 Mag as more of an enjoyment/fun round where I tend to equate the .357 SIG purely as a defensive round and as good as it is (and it is very good in this regard) I just don’t want all the “pomp and circumstance” that comes with it.

Take care, shoot safe
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7691 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I already have a P239 in .357SIG. Can I use that barrel or do I need a conversion barrel? Wouldn't Barsto sell those?

All you need is another Sig 40sw cal barrel and a 40sw cal mag.
357sig will work in 40sw cal mag but not the other way around.

Posts: 22940 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can confirm that a 9mm barrel will function fine in a 357/40 slide. In my experience, finding one though is harder than finding a 357 barrel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nontypical,

Posts: 160 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: December 19, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure can’t go wrong at that price, and as others have mentioned the 239 is a dream setup for 357 sig. I have a sas 9mm Mrs. 94hokie has claimed but the two in 357 are for my range use. Great, under appreciated guns IMO.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P239 design seems to mitigate the felt recoil of the 40SW. Overall it’s a very nice weapon. Mine was made in US and quality seems equal to the German Sigs. One thing you should be aware of is that the slide on 40SW is taller, creating holster fit issues, especially with kydex. I mention this not to discourage the purchase, but rather so you can discuss with holster maker when ordering.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
the 40/357 magazine issue in the P239's is one of those things that we will never be able to figure out what Sig was thinking... the 357 mags have an indention on the sides to keep the necked down 10mm cartridges in line... but the reality is since it is a single stack magazine they can't get out of line anyway... that is why the 40 cal mags work both ways... but because of this indention 40's won't go in the 357 mags. Seems they should have just made one mag. that was marked both 40 & 357. the cool thing is 9mm works fine in both.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

posted Hide Post
One other point that hasn’t been mentioned is a 357/40 is capable of accepting 9mm mags as well. Unfortunately the mag well on the 9mm will only accept 9mm mags.

Posts: 160 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: December 19, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post