SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thinking about picking up a P239
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about picking up a P239 Login/Join 
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Great gun, you should buy one (or more). Big Grin

Mine wears Nill grips. Because I'm worth it.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P239 with Hogue checkered G10 grips is one of my favorites and I shoot better than any other pistol, until I got a P225-A1. The extra 1/2 inch or so in the grip fits my hand perfectly. I definitely like the single stack pistols over the double stacks. I recently gave the P239 to my son in law and now I Have 3 P225s.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P239 is a more elegant weapon from a more civilized time. I really love the feel of it; they became a retirement present for a classmate of mine in federal service and she loves hers. I highly recommend owning one if you like the P22x platform.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
It sure looks to me like someone in the development dept. of Sig looked at their P230/232 pistol and designed the P239 around that look and of course the workings. Obviously those folks are now gone ... example P226zev.

I find the double stack sigs factory grips too big but the P239 factory grips too thin.... mine all have Crimson Trace Laser grips on them... mainly because these are all home defense weapons and I like consistency.

I like that; "a more elegant weapon for a more civilized time."

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
I would definitely check out P239's, P225s/P6s and see if you like those any better than a P229.

I always felt like P6/P225's felt great in my hand.

I don't have any experience with the P225A1 but its basically a changed P239 or something so it should be slim.

In my experience P239's have felt almost like P229's.

I got a chance to shoot a P239 a long time ago and the recoil was also as nice as a P229.

I got left with the feeling that it had all the weight but not the rounds of the P229.

Magazines will be expensive for P225s/P6.

I'm seeing P225A1 magazines for $45 + tax/ship.

I saw recently P239 magazines for about $32 + tax/ship but they sold out.

P6/P225 magazines sell for ....whatever you can get them for at this point. $60+?

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You mention two issues:

1) P226 & P229 double stack grips don't fit your hand due to the large size. I have small hands, but solved the problem. Hogue G10 grips and the GrayGuns Intermediate length trigger. Both place the trigger finger closer to the trigger face. Also skateboard tape on front strap secures grip better.

2) Want something more concealable. Yes, my P239 is definitely more concealable than my double stacks. However, an IWB Kydex holster (thin) with a P229 can help. With IWB Kydex, I find concealment/comfort of my P229 is about the same as Sparks leather IWB with my P239.

Some P239 info:

1) Hogue G10's are an improvement over factory, even though they are slightly smaller. The G10 back strap inhibits slippage, unlike the slippery factory. Add some skateboard tape to the front strap and the gun locks in nicely.

2) Just by buying a factory 9mm barrel (not a conversion), the P239 .40/.357 will handle nines. I use it on the range with the .40 mags and the .40 recoil spring. Functions very well. Other forum members have done the same thing. Only Sig classic that will do this.

SUMMARY (based on your two considerations):

1) Keep P229. Install G10 grips and Gray Guns Intermediate trigger. Should solve fat grip problem.

2) Carry mode - IWB or IWB? If IWB, see above comments. If OWB, no doubt the P239 will conceal better and carry better.

3) Subjectively, I have never liked the flat front strap on the P239. However, it makes NO DIFFERENCE in how the gun shoots (for me). The P239 shoots as well as the larger Sigs.

Welcome to the forum.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Little off the original subject but in line with some of what Nipper said above... my first sig was a P230 with Hogue combat grips and it fit my hand perfectly... a few years ago I took the plunge and bought a P226 and it came with the E2 snap on grips and felt pretty good then a short time later I decided I wanted a M25/P226.... picked it up and held it while driving home and realized something was not right... factory grips... fat as all get out.... I ordered some Hogue G10's and fixed the problem. So the suggestion of changing the grips on your P229 is a good one... but to fall back... you really need a P239.... in 40/357.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I picked up a P239 about the time I retired from a police department that mandated their active or retired officers only carry pistols which utilized the approved calibers of 9mm and .40 S&W. The P239 I found was in .357 Sig, so I bought a replacement barrel in .40 S&W and some .40 S&W magazines.

The .40 S&W worked fine, but I later wanted to convert it to 9mm due to availability and lower costs associated with that caliber. I only needed a 9mm barrel and replacement recoil spring. While I did purchase a couple 9mm magazines, I discovered that my conversion functioned perfectly using 9mm ammo in my .357 Sig or .40 S&W magazines too! Strangely enough, the 9mm set up is my most accurate of the three options. I too am a big fan of the G10 "Extreme" replacement grips offered by Hogue.

Although I usually carry other pistols as my CCW, I'll certainly keep the P239 system I own as it's plenty accurate, reliable in function, and provides a system in the event I need to travel to a jurisdiction where carrying standard capacity magazines (more than 8 or 10 rounds) is an issue.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Full disclosure: I can't imagine not owning and loving the P239. Mine is the two tone SAS in 357Sig. I have a 40S&W barrel and magazines but have yet to use them. I should probably get the 9mm barrel and spring to make it a Trifecta.

Mine has the Hogue finger grips, a Lasermax and rides beautifully in a Diamond D Customs OWB holster.

IMHO, the single stack Sigs like the P239 and the P220 are simply perfectly balanced, easy to carry and easy to shoot well.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 232 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cpuny
posted Hide Post
Wow great to see you so much love for the P239. I have to agree it’s an amazing shooter I have multiple choices that I can CCW but the P239 in 357 SIG is amazingly accurate, smooth and recoil is not an issue. Hogue grips definitely make it even better. I am usually told by those who try mine that it handles great and the 357 round is very accurate too. Only complaint I get is how loud it is, lol I look at that as a plus also, scare the crap out of anybody else that shouldn’t be in the area.

Best of luck if you get one!

Posts: 240 | Registered: October 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago came into a large amount of .40 so i wanted a .40. Glocks holds no charm for me, and i wanted a hammer, so first it was a 226,then a 229, and finally a 239, which is now my edc,you cant go wrong

Posts: 95 | Registered: October 21, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
As has been mentioned, one of the interesting things about the P239 in 40 cal is all you need Is a 357 barrel to convert it. (I think the p226 and p229 are the same and possible even the p320).

but here is the other advantage, at least in the one p239 I tried it on: install a 9mm barrel, just the barrel and it will function, at least with the basic ammo I used. I would not trust this for carry or personal defense but as for range practice it sure is cheaper.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I love my P239 in .40 with the Hogue grips. It was my primary carry piece for quite awhile till I started carrying my P938 in 9mm. The holster is a Nightingale.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK fine today I'll carry the P239 9mm and leave the P365 in the safe. It deserves a carry day. It's very accurate and has never jammed and yes it's easy to carry. I wouldn't worry about breakage in my case I do shoot it but not enough to wear it out in my lifetime. Good choice get one while you can.

Posts: 460 | Registered: January 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Wingsfan,

A question is if you want to stay with DA/SA? If yes, and you don't want to deal with traditional double stack grip width, the 239 could work. But it's big, heavy, and low capacity, compared to newer guns.

If you can carry something P239 sized, but want more capacity, with the same or less grip width, there are at least two guns I'd wrap your mitts around before making a decision. One is the SIG P365XL. This has been around a while now, and is a known quantity. It's thinner than the P239 and holds 12+1 stock. See comparison below.

https://www.handgunhero.com/co...xl-vs-sig-sauer-p239

There's another option, and this gun, or at least this model of this gun new. It's the Springfield Hellcat Pro. Basically this gun is a Glock 19 on a diet. Holds the same 15 rounds, but is smaller in every dimension and lighter. Compared to the P239, it's slightly thinner and slightly less tall in the grip.

https://www.handgunhero.com/co...ro-vs-sig-sauer-p239

I would give at least these two guns a feel, before committing to the P239

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was able to get one of the all German P239s. They are a timeless carry pistol.

Posts: 270 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
wingsfan started this discussion last week and has not returned.... hopefully 'they' have been monitoring it.

I did note that wingsfan had three post when this thread started and that has not changed and those three post were done on the same day within a few minutes of each other....

I hope I did not over step, but I just sent wingsfan an email asking they come back and look at the discussion they started.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bnz42:
I was able to get one of the all German P239s. They are a timeless carry pistol.

Same here. This one has been my daily carry pistol since 2009:

I've owned and carried several Sig P-series models over the years, and a few H&Ks as well, but nothing fits my hand better or is easier to shoot than the P239.

Posts: 432 | Registered: July 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow thanks for all the suggestions and to Blume9mm for inviting me back. I've read them all and appreciate the input. I'm tracking one now and hope to have it in the safe soon.

Posts: 21 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Loving all the 40 love in this thread. Im a 40 fan, but saying so nowadays is like saying you actually liked “The Phantom Menace” and Jar-Jar is your favorite character.

My 239 is a 40. I like how it has a flat slide profile vs the 9mm version.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post