SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thinking about picking up a P239
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about picking up a P239 Login/Join 
posted
I'm thinking about picking up a P239 for carrying. I am a retired federal agent and I carried several Sigs through out my career. Started out with a P226 as a real cop, then a P228 when I went to the federal government. Finally retired carrying a P229 in .357 Sig. All great guns, reliable and accurate. My issue is the grips don't fit my hand very well. The double stack is too wide for a comfortable grip. Now that I don't have to carry one for a living, I'd like something familiar, but easier to conceal and handle. Any thoughts? I like single stack mags, I don't really care for striker fired guns, and I like metal with a little weight to dampen the recoil. Any thoughts or other guns I'm missing?

Posts: 20 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The drawback would be, since the P239 is no longer in production, aftermarket support will be a little hard to come by.

Q

Posts: 26179 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Could find a Kahr K9.

Posts: 11345 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any thoughts or other guns I'm missing?

Check out the P225. Also discontinued, and also single-stack, but the grip fits my hand better than the P239, which is just a hair too small. I want to love the P239 as I really like the form factor, but it just doesn't work for me. I'd try them both as YMMV.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my 239! Maybe because it was my first Sig but I always enjoy shooting it. I use a VM2 for inside waist band and a Kramer for outside. I've got a Crimson Trace on it and the grips are perfect for my hands, better than the factory grips.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can't find a P239, the P225A1 is a good substitute. The 239 is a little small for me, the 225/225A1 is just right. I used a P225 as a demo gun during trainings for a number of years, and notice no difference between the 225 and the 225A1. After retiring and not having access to a 225 I still use the 225A1 as a teaching gun.

...all this assumes that you can't find a P239 to your liking. There are a ton of variants for the hunting.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 239 in 357sig is a sweet shooter. Extra mags carry nice, since they are single stack.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sold my M11-A1 and picked up a lightly used P239 SAS. Mine has Hogue grips that fit my hand perfectly. The eight round mags do not bother me in fact I prefer them to double stack. Thus far I have purchased new magazines and a new recoil spring without paying an exorbitant price. There are a lot of parts/magazines available online.

I managed to find one at a gun show and one at a gun-shop to handle. I liked the feel of P239 and found mine on GunBroker for what I considered a good price $650.00.

Best Of Luck

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P239 in .357 sig is a awesome little gun! I love mine! Shoot’s way better then it should being such a thin grip. Easy to conceal inside the waist and I have a dual iwb mag pouch both made by TT Gun Leather that even in the dead of summer with semi tight T-shirt and shorts no one can spot it!

Posts: 116 | Location: Locust Grove, Virginia | Registered: November 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
The P239 was made for the 357SIG cartridge, with a P225 you have to settle for 9MM

If you were comfortable with the P229's recoil with 357SIG, the P239 will be no problem for you

Plenty of aftermarket grip choices are available. I am fond of the Hogue wood grips, they round out the feel of the grip a little bit over the plastic factory supplied grips.

Many years ago, one of the Agencies that issued the P239 in 357 SIG had SIG provide some +1 magazines. These had a little extension for the pinky but were phosphate coated for resistance to the environment, We got them in a big bulk box with the mags sealed in little plastic bags.

I swapped out all of mine and love the change. Some folks object to the extended magazine for concealed carry. When that happens I recommend that their reload mag be the longer one.

SIG over produced the magazine bodies and the +1 bases so you can find blued magazine bodies with the extra witness hole assembled as standard capacity magazines, the +1 base and spring were also sold off separately

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a .40 P239. The .40 is often cited as having a "snappy" recoil. The 239 handles the recoil very well and is a great shooter. I put Talon Grips on mine. If you go with a 239, probably a good idea to scoop up magazines whenever you get the chance!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The firearm that you are describing in your original post sounds exactly like a P 239.

For all that mentioned grip size vs their hand. Many different grips are available and even putting a short reach trigger will help with smaller hands, but you know all this since you have been down the road of fit before.

It is nice to have a 3 cal choice as long as you have a Sa4 frame.

I put Karl Nill grips on my P239's because I like the slight palm swell and the grip characteristics of the Rhomalas pattern.

good luck {BTW parts are around and new mags cost around 27.00 and seem to be available about once a month}

This message has been edited. Last edited by: roym,

Posts: 58 | Registered: October 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
If you are really interested in a P239 you have stepped through the right door. Full disclosure I Love them. As for the one negative comment about support... I'm still waiting to hear of one breaking... and there are parts out there for sure and when ever this is discussed having had a father that was a machinist.... I don't understand.... any thing metal can be repaired or replaced....

Your one problem is finding a P239 in either 40 cal or 357 sig and then the corresponding barrel.... a few years back they were pretty available... but I think I bought most of them. These pistols shoot great in 9mm. Some find 357 sig a little bit much for them... I love it. The odd thing is at least from my experience a 40/357 one will shoot 9mm fine with just changing the barrel. Keep in mind the 40/357 frame has a slightly larger magazine well and so you can't convert a 9mm frame to 40/357 but you can go the other way... and 9mm magazines will wiggle a little in the larger mag well but function fine.

Simple answer to the 'future support' comment....just own more than one.

Oh, the one thing I don't like about the p239 is the factory grip.... but that is easy to correct.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that the Hogue grips are a welcome upgrade. Sold my P239 in 9mm, but just bought one in .357. Hogue grips will be going on this one as well.

-c1steve

Posts: 4038 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Good hunting and welcome. When came across my p239 it was absolutely filthy. The trigger would barely reset. It cleaned up nice. Yep, 3 calibers is a plus. In 9 there may be choices but in 357 sig, it's ideal.

Posts: 3478 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
go find yourself a P239 in .357sig, get a 40 barrel and you'll have two guns/calibers for ammo availability. Grab a 9mm barrel and magazines, you'll have a third. Grab any with threads and you can mount a can and be a spy.

One of the best pistols made, it likely won't break/wear out unless you're a lifetime Gunsite/Thunder Ranch student and even then, while discontinued, springs and stuff will be around. It's not a Colt Walker from mid 1800s.

If I had to pick just one, it may not be the one but, it'd be in the final 5 or so to decide from.

Posts: 818 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
The 357SIG P239 works very well with the Factory threaded 9MM barrel.

No spring change or magazine change is required. At 500+ rounds of suppressed subsonic Winchester Lawman the firearm has been running 100%

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CDNN has the SIG SAUER® P239 9MM THREADED 4.3" CIP BARREL

Posts: 362 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Midwest Gun Works has the Sig Sauer P239 .40 S&W 7 Round Magazine

Posts: 362 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 239 SAS in .40. It's an awesome gun. I haven't carried it in a while, but now I feel like I need to!

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post