SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Federal's new .30 Super Carry - What The Heck Is This Thing?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal's new .30 Super Carry - What The Heck Is This Thing? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Wouldn't a snub-nosed Ruger in .327 be more sensible?

Why? It would be close to the same thing.

Yep. But it's more established and available, the bugs have been worked out of the Ruger lineup, and the .327 can be loaded with heavier bullets - which would actually make sense in a snub-nosed revolver (if you have less velocity, you need more momentum, which can only come from more bullet weight).
quote:
A 6-shot equivalent to the M&P340 chambered in 30 Carry would be a seriously capable pocket gun.

That remains to be seen.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Wake me up when they make a 327 semi auto.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

There are very, very few semiautos ever made for rimmed revolver cartridges, for good reasons... Long, rimmed cartridges don't play well with semiauto pistol operating mechanisms and magazines.

And of the small handful of models that were produced (like the Coonan Magnum or the LAR Grizzly), none could be described as being especially "successful" or "popular". So there's zero incentive for gun manufacturers to try and develop one.

You're going to be sleeping for a very long time, likely forever.

The closest you might get (and even that's a long shot) is something like a ".327 Sig" caliber, with a shorter round in a non-rimmed case that happens to closely approximate .327 Federal Magnum's ballistics.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:
quote:
Wouldn't a snub-nosed Ruger in .327 be more sensible?

Why? It would be close to the same thing.

Yep. But it's more established and available, the bugs have been worked out of the Ruger lineup, and the .327 can be loaded with heavier bullets - which would actually make sense in a snub-nosed revolver (if you have less velocity, you need more momentum, which can only come from more bullet weight).
quote:
A 6-shot equivalent to the M&P340 chambered in 30 Carry would be a seriously capable pocket gun.

That remains to be seen.

Are you talking about an SP101? They are great but are too heavy for a pocket.

They are belt guns as is the Kimber K6s.

The LCRs are nice but are bigger than the Smiths particularly in the frames Ruger uses for .327, .357 and 9mm.

The Smiths, particularly the airweight/scandium-framed models are the better guns for pocket or ankle carry.

The J frames have been chambered for .327 and .32h&r before. These revolvers have six shot cylinders. This would hardly be new ground for Smith.

Not much needs to be invented to make it work except a suitable moonclip.

I agree the .327 is the better cartridge for handloaders but not everyone handloads. I'd hazard to say very few of the new shooters out there do.

The .30 Carry, if you believe Federals ballistic gel results promises to be a very decent defensive round.

While I think the odds are against this cartridge catching on in a big way, I don't think Federal is fibbing about the performance they are achieving with the new round.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

You're going to be sleeping for a very long time, likely forever.

Yeah, I know.

Thinking it would be kinda cool if they were able to make a scaled down Desert Eagle some day.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
To me, it’s a pointless Boondoggle that’s also diverting primers from the supply chain for a new cartridge. Just seems like Federal doesn’t give a * about supporting those that have been buying from them for years. Those folks that can and want to shoot many many thousands of rounds, either of factory or reloads. Or even those that are just starting or trying to ramp up on a budget.

But, it’s their decision even if I think it’s a bad long term move.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
It’s probably the perfect self defense caliber for most civilians. And it will be $30 a box=dead in the water.

It’s a gamble. Federal better hope every gun and ammo manufacturer gets on board or it will be deader than 45GAP.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Then, for their sake, I hope they load it to be chambered in a wider range of pistols. The Nighthawk is, in its own little way, promising, but something more affordable and in broader-scale production would probably be more helpful. Depending on the compact pistol market, IMHO, wouldn't help.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of the round. That being said, I believe it's popularity will depend on the number & types of pistols it's chambered in.
There is no "shortage" of ammo right now. You can get pretty much whatever you need, albeit much more expensive than we are used to...but it's there. (primers are the achilles heel right now)
It appears to offer a little more capacity with lower recoil & better performance than the 380 or 9mm. Whether that's true or not or important to John Q Public remains to be seen.
I'm in for one in the EZ ( I really like my wife's 380). For me, I don't need one in a 1911 because I'm flush with 38 Supers but I can see the appeal.
Don't dismiss it's 32 caliber size. History has shown that "zillions" of folks have been put down with the 32. Either ACP or S&W long.
I may add one for the simple fact I like "Supers". I have 38 Supers, 45 Super. Why not include a 32 Super?

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Or the 7.65 used in Lugers and Broomhandles.

Exactly. A straight wall .30 Luger.

Might be a useful round, but it won't make it. People just won't use a bore size under 9mm/.38 for defense.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-3:
History has shown that "zillions" of folks have been put down with the 32.

Indeed. From around 1900 through about the 1940s, .32 ACP (aka 7.65 Browning) was the dominant police and military pistol cartridge in mainland Europe.

That includes WW1, and carries over into the WW2 era.

It then continued on in European military and police use on a smaller (but still widespread) scale well into the 1970s/1980s.

But .32 ACP still wouldn't be my first choice for a modern defensive caliber. Wink

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Well, yeah, but now they're all carrying 9x19 Lugers. I wouldn't want to get shot with anything from a .32 ACP to a Tokarev, but those who've tried them all seem to have moved on to something else.

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
Hard to beat the 7.62 x 25. Wish there was a modern handgun for that round.

China makes a p226 clone chambered in 7.62 Tokarev. Of course we can't get that here, you can get it in Soviet Canukistan, but not here.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
Hard to beat the 7.62 x 25. Wish there was a modern handgun for that round.

Get a 357 Sig.

My carry ammo (Underwood ammo) is doing 1475 FPS with a 124gr bullet from a compact Glock.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
One gun that might use it is the Seecamp. The owner is still making them altho Remington bought production to the design.

Son has one and its ok, I didn't like the long trigger pull necessary with no safety, etc. In .30 Super it might hold seven?

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:
One gun that might use it is the Seecamp. The owner is still making them altho Remington bought production to the design.

I believe you're confusing Seecamp with the similar line of tiny pocket pistols from Rohrbaugh.

Remington bought Rohrbaugh in 2014, and produced modified versions of the Rohrbaugh family of pistols under the Remington name until Remington's recent bankruptcy breakup.

Production of the Seecamp pistols was taken over by Whalley Precision in 2014, but they're still sold under the Seecamp name.

posted Hide Post
A little more velocity and it would be perfect for my imagined update of the PPSh.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
There are very, very few semiautos ever made for rimmed revolver cartridges, for good reasons... Long, rimmed cartridges don't play well with semiauto pistol operating mechanisms and magazines.

And of the small handful of models that were produced (like the Coonan Magnum or the LAR Grizzly), none could be described as being especially "successful" or "popular". So there's zero incentive for gun manufacturers to try and develop one.
I am going to drift the thread slightly to take exception with that first statement

The most accurate auto loader that Smith & Wesson ever produced fires long cartridges with a rim. That pistol dominated bullseye shooting for a while . . . of course I am talking about the Model 52

In that same time era Colt produced a 1911s that fired 38 Special, Clark converted ​1911s to fire 38 Special

Walther produced the GSP that fired a long rimmed cartridge,the 32 S&W

This was a exceptional firearm that was highly regarded for Olympic shooting

Along with the LAR Grizzly, the Desert Eagle, that were already mentioned, we also have countless millions upon millions of 22LR and 22WMR auto loading pistols, rifles and sub machine guns all shooting a long rimed cartridge

There is nothing, technologically based, that would prevent the building of a 327 Magnum auto loader

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What it is is a marketing activity to be not just another micro 9 and 9mm ammo.

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. More cartridge options. I've been moving in the opposite direction

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post