SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Federal's new .30 Super Carry - What The Heck Is This Thing?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal's new .30 Super Carry - What The Heck Is This Thing? Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Here is the first pistol chambered in it. Holds ten rounds of 30 Super vs eight rounds that the 9MM gun is able to fit in the magazine.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They should have called it the 8mm x 21. Close enough and gets the point across. Yeah, there's 8mm Mauser but that mistake would be noticed pretty quickly.

I like the idea. More rounds in micro 9 sized guns. Ballistically superior to the .380 and not too far off from the 9mm x 19.

It is interesting that the most popular pistol calibers are almost all 100+ years old. 9mm, .380, and .45ACP, and .38 Special are. And .357 Magnum is almost 90 years old. It would be nice if modern bullet and cartridge design would give us something "better" that could be accepted. For example .38 Special and .357 Magnum have a lot of wasted case volume since the .38 dates back to the black powder era. They could be shorter with a shorter cylinder and longer barrel for a given revolver size, but good luck with that.

.40 S&W was the only major pistol caliber to get any traction in the last 30 years, but it lacks the capacity and shootability of the 9mm or the nostalgia of the .45ACP. After taking over the LE market (mostly due to the FBI's change after the 10mm didn't work out) and being dominant for a couple decades, it died quickly when the FBI moved back to 9mm. .45GAP died because it was capacity limited in 9/40 frames and no one really asked for a shorter .45ACP. Glock wanted a "Glock" round after Sig created the ".357 Sig" and they thought it might appeal to older police chiefs that insisted on issuing a .45 but needed a smaller grip. I just felt some 10mm/.45 sized Glocks the other day and they are not that bad in Gen4. Even though the grip is bigger, the "corners" match up to my finger joints better and it feels pretty good to grip.

On the rifle side, .17 HMR, 6.5 CM, .300 Blackout became accepted pretty quickly because they offer significant advantages.

Rather than write this new pistol round off, I'll see how it plays out. I'm all for more options in a competitive market. And I think one thing about it is that you can get 10 rounds in a compact single stack (the magic number for commie states). If Sig can get 15 rounds into a 365XL mag then I think we all see the advantage.

But then I would like J-frame 640 size revolvers in .327 and 9mm and S&W isn't making them at the moment.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Can this cartridge be used in pistols chambered for 9mm ? Case rim diameter.
If so, it would be a good match for a Ruger LC9s with a conversion barrel.

I am not dismissive about new cartridges.

That would be more interesting to me if a barrel conversion and maybe a guide rod spring change would be possible in a current 9 mm .

Posts: 1231 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
But then I would like J-frame 640 size revolvers in .327 and 9mm and S&W isn't making them at the moment.

I'm right there with you. IMO S&W is missing the boat on this. Ruger has both options in both the LCR and the SP101. I'm a huge Ruger fan, but I don't care for the trigger reset or the goofy plastic frame on the LCR. The SP101, while an excellent revolver, is more of a belt gun. The J-Frame is a better pocket gun than either of those two, and it would be awesome to have a 6-shot option in .327. A scandium frame with a steel cylinder like my 360J would be sweet. A 9mm would be cool, too... especially if they offered it with a spring loaded built-in extractor like the old 547. I've already got 3 J-Frames...they just need to give me an excuse to make it 5!

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
What .327 Federal Magnum did for small revolvers (like the LCR, which I’m carrying right now), this is supposed to do for semi automatics.
Interesting numbers on this new cartridge.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
While enjoying a bowl of cigarettes and a nice cup of black death, I decided to watch videos from SHOT 2022 range day.

All the Youtube gun gurus were there and predictably 30 Super Carry is all the rage. What amused me was the comments - "Recoils just like 9mm" "I can't tell any difference between the recoil of this and a 9mm" "shoots the same in the EZ as the 9mm version".

So......50K PSI, ballistics not as good as 124 9mm but recoils the same and you get two extra rounds in the mag. Why not just carry a 9mm then? Or will the sales pitch become "30 Super Carry! Better than 380."

Move over 45 GAP. You are gonna have company. Wink Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
So it's a mini .30 carbine round?

that's exactly what I thought... .30 cal carbine short.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
All the Youtube gun gurus were there and predictably 30 Super Carry is all the rage. What amused me was the comments - "Recoils just like 9mm" "I can't tell any difference between the recoil of this and a 9mm" "shoots the same in the EZ as the 9mm version".

That's interesting. I just watched a video w/ the S&W rep who claimed 30SC definitely feels softer in recoil.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I have to wonder how small a gun can fire this round reliably. Could it replace .380 in the really small guns. It's a longer case, so that would stretch the length of the gun.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too bad it is not a revolver cartridge. 7 Shot J frame ? I don't see the point in a new caliber to gain a couple rounds. Power between .380 and 9mm. Just carry a spare mag. I would think the appeal would be limited

Posts: 1401 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
has anybody mentioned that the name they gave this round, ".30 Super Carry" is pretty stupid and lame and really sounds like something a total gun nerd would come up with?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If it ever takes off (not likely) it won’t last nearly as long as the 45 GAP. It’s a boutique round that will gain limited favor with a few interested parties, gasp, and expire. The vast owners of 9mm pistol owners are not going to bother investing hundreds of dollars in a new platform to do what their 9’s already do quite reliably. Then people that don’t reload will have pistols too expensive to feed gathering dust.

Here’s a thought- start ramping up current caliber production, reloading component production, and refining current existing caliber offerings instead of creating a new cartridge that is doomed to failure.

If the new ammo isn’t far cheaper than current prices of existing offerings, it will fail. Whether spectacularly or gasping for breath, it will fail.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here’s a thought- start ramping up current caliber production, reloading component production, and refining current existing caliber offerings instead of creating a new cartridge that is doomed to failure.

CRAZY TALK I TELLS YA!!!!!!! Smile

I totally understand this has likely been in development for many years but now is not the time to dilute the ammo pool further. That said the marketing guy in me is thinking they could be banking on trying to sell guns chambered in this to new ignorant(as in not yet educated about a subject) firearm buyers sort of sneaking in a base of sales.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7673 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Also I wonder how long it will be before some little .25 caliber something will be deemed fine because “more ammo on tap”. Why not a nice 50 shot .22LR with a center fire ignition system. Roll Eyes

Don’t get me wrong I am fairly caliber agnostic and don’t feel one needs a .45 Super or some such but I do feel like at some point you start giving up too much mass.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7673 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
I got the new issue of American Rifleman this week and the cartridge was reviewed.

The Rifleman has devolved into just another gun rag; an adjunct to promote whatever new product hits the market. When was the last time A.R. reviewed a cartridge, weapon, or accessory that they didn't like? Useful columns like the exploded firearms views are long gone.

I am a benefactor life member. I have just become tired of the way the magazine promotes stuff.

As for this cartridge, as others have stated - a solution to a non-existent problem.

Posts: 419 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
There doesn't seem to be a flood of new pistols chambered for it either.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Make A 46, 47, 48, 49 or a 50 and I will be interested.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've bitten on 3 of these "new" cartridges. The .32NAA, .357Sig, and the 5.7x28.

The .32NAA serves it's purpose being an all stainless gun with an atrocious trigger that will give a bad guy pause to think. But only 2 or 3 companies make ammo and very little of it. Right not there's none to be had. Just glad I bought plenty when I could.

The 5.7 is slightly different as it's now in the NATO arsenal list. But still only 3 (?) companies making the ammo it can be hard to find and pricey when it is found. Hopefully it's one that should gain some ground in the near future. The KelTec P50 is a ball to shoot but it's 50 bucks a mag full.

I had a .357 Sig P229. Great gun and a true tack driver. But again, ammo scarcity due to too few manufacturers. If everyone were to get on board making the new ammo it would have a chance. But any round depending on 2 or 3 companies to make it will likely perish or languish in obscurity.

Posts: 32 | Registered: May 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Malysh:
The Rifleman has devolved into just another gun rag; an adjunct to promote whatever new product hits the market.

If the NRA disappeared overnight along with all the benefits we gun owners currently have that were solely due to the organization’s constant efforts over the decades, I would still go on living for whatever my allotted years may turn out to be. Many of my activities would change—as well as the things I spend a lot of money on—but I wouldn’t be affected to the same extent as if, for example, uncontrolled COVID-19 among the antivax crowd mutates into something with a 20% fatality rate. I do, nevertheless, almost always find something of interest to read in the American Rifleman magazine, and that included the 30 Super Carry article in the most recent.

I am therefore curious why you evidently found it so worthless. Now note that I’m not asking why you believe the cartridge itself serves no useful purpose, but rather what you didn’t like about the article. Even if you’re right in that belief, it’s not as if the NRA was responsible for its development and can hardly be blamed for inflicting another cartridge choice on us poor confused firearms enthusiasts. What’s more I took the article to be one that I depend upon the magazine for: information about a new development. There was nothing in it that I recall that seemed to be intended to convince me to dump all my 9mm and 357 SIG and 40 S&W and 45 ACP ammunition and the guns I have that are chambered for them in the nearest lake and mortgage my house to afford to switch to the new round. Do you know anyone who was so tempted?

I can’t go back and reread the article myself because I’ve already discarded the magazine, but it seemed to be a good, in depth look at the round, including, IIRC, information about ballistics. I don’t recall any of the other gun magazines I used to read that went into such detail. At best we’d be treated to a picture of cartridge cases being ejected into the air and carefully circled in contrasting colors so we wouldn’t overlook them, or perhaps a photo of a five-shot group with no more than one or two “called” flyers. To this day the NRA effort is superior to all that.

As for the magazine in general, it regularly contains other articles that I find interesting and informative, and when I read the de rigueur complaints about the periodical I can only wonder if they refer to the same publication that I read every month or so, or just how the complainers would prefer it to be different. We shooters and gun owners are a disparate lot and no such publication could possibly bring joy and satisfaction to each of us every time, but other than the lack of exploded views that I seem to recall occupied a page or two when featured, any other ideas?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The idea of the .45 GAP .30 Carry is to provide a cartridge that would equal the power of the .45 ACP 9mm, have a stronger case head to reduce the possibility of case neck blowouts, and be shorter thinner to fit in a more compact handgun. This is a fantastic, novel idea that can't fail. [/snark]

The good news is that Massad Ayoob will be able to recycle most of this article:

https://americanhandgunner.com...-fall-of-the-45-gap/

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post