SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bought A 365 Today
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought A 365 Today Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
No doubt the early guns were released too early. It has been years though since these fixes have been in place. Bad on Sig for doing that, but they fixed them so there is that. My first 365 was fairly early but even mine was after that stuff and the striker stuff. Any idea when they fixed this stuff? It seems like 2019 they were gtg but I don't trust my memory on this.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola: Makershot is a plastic funnel with a molded bump out to push the follower down. It is an expensive version of the free loaders that come with most guns nowadays. And yes, they suck. Unless they imbue some magic dust in their plastic they suck the exact same as the free versions.

In other words, you have never used a Makershot magazine loader and you have NO experience with which to make a rational evaluation. I've been using a Makershot loader for over two years and it is very easy to use with no moving parts to fail, compact, lightweight, and inexpensive. What is not to love about that? If it were a pain in the behind to use I'd probably buy an Uplula. As easy as this loader is to use I'm not even curious about at Uplula, which appears to be a solution looking for a problem. If you want to take it to the extreme you could build a fully automatic magazine loader that loaded your magazines with a push of a button. And that might make sense if you were loading thousands of magazines every day. But it makes so sense for me to own one, or a bulky Uplula for that matter.

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola: Just fyi though, you can accomplish the same thing by just hand cycling a round in slowly. No dropping the slide on the chambered round nonsense.

Hand cycling? Do you mean chambering from the magazine by hand cycling the slide? That doesn't work if you have a failure to feed problem. And you still need to remove the magazine to top it off and then reinsert the magazine if you want to carry +1. If you had been reading I did not EVER suggest that you SHOULD drop the slide on a round. I said EASE the slide closed and then press the rear of the extractor inward. No bullet setback and no impact stress on the extractor.

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola: Your testing means absolutely dick.

I dropped the slide on a cartridge in the firing chamber 1,830 without any noticeable damage to the extractor. That's the equivalent of once per day for 5 years. THAT is significant.

Just what have YOU done to prove that dropping the slide onto a cartridge will damage the extractor within it's useable lifespan??? Seems to be just about ZERO. One test is worth 1,000 opinions. Do you you even have any anecdotal evidence from your brother-in-law that knew a guy whose friend knew a guy that broke a P365 extractor while manually chambering a round???

As the saying goes, put up or shut up.

FYI, I got paid to do performance testing, reliability testing, quality testing, and product safety testing for a living. I have worked in manufacturing since the middle 70's.

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola: You are quoting some pseudo army 1911 bullshit as fact, your logic is already flawed.

Fact. The military taught soldiers how to manually chamber a round in a 1911. Fact, you can manually chamber a around in a 1911 with a failure to feed malfunction. Where is the pseudo army 1911 bullshit in that?

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:I love the use of your term "military grade extractor". You do realize how idiotic that sounds right?

Mil-Spec parts more often than not must pass a higher quality standard than commercial grade parts. That is hardly idiotic.

Fact: Manually chambering a cartridge from a P365 magazine can in fact cause the bullet to set back and/or set forward. I measured 5 different cartridges for bullet setback after chambering from the magazine 20 times.

Sig Elite Performance 115 gr JHP and Speer LE Gold Dot Duty 115 gr JHP cartridges and after 20 chamberings from the magazine had no measurable setback.

Remington Range began to setback at the 3rd chambering and after 20 chamberings had setback 0.015".

Winchester Silvertip began to setback at the 5th chambering and setback a total of 0.007" after the 20th chambering.

Magtech 9A begin to SET FORWARD at the 11th chambering for a total of 0.003" after 20 chamberings.

You can argue about how much of a problem bullet setback is, but bullet setback can and does occur when chambering from the magazine of a P365, depending upon the quality of the ammunition.

Fact. Bullet setback does NOT occur when manually chambering a cartridge in a P365.

A P365 is a relatively inexpensive high volume assembly line product. It is NOT a finely crafted $5,000 handgun. Much of the difference between a $5,000 handgun and a P365 is lower finishing standards. Sig is cutting corners and expects YOU to polish the internal parts by firing thousands of rounds of expensive ammunition. I can't afford a $5,000 handgun, nor would I likely buy one if I could afford it. But I CAN easily polish the internal parts and make it operate more smoothly and reliably immediately before I even fire the first round, instead of just hoping that shooting the P365 will polish the parts as well as I can.

Posts: 34 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: August 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
1830 times? Why? Does that make it certified under some ISO standard?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
AllenBundy, you will kindly refrain from posting links to other SIG sites.

Posts: 107633 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
stripper rail

Is that like a stripper pole, but horizontal?

quote:
I dropped my slide 1830 times and it didn't hurt the extractor …

You've got way too much time on your hands.

I wonder how the OP, who just wanted to tell us about his new gun, feels about his thread being turned into a train wreck.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Since I have you on ignore and based on the subsequent posts I can only imagine you are posting more retarded posts from the other forum ...
Cool it with that stuff. If you're going to say that you are not reading someone's post, then that's the end of any squabble you have with them.

You can't have it both ways.
quote:
Sad that I am missing all this, maybe I was wrong to put you on ignore.
You don't want to play games like this. You know and I know that if you put someone on ignore, you can still view their posts with a single mouse click, and human nature dictates that you would still be looking at those posts.

Posts: 107633 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True, I will delete.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever you are considering for a belt holster, I can wholeheartedly endorse the Sticky pocket holster for this pistol. Rides well, doesn't print as a gun and very affordable.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles: 1830 times? Why? Does that make it certified under some ISO standard?

Because that is the equivalent of manually chambering your pistol once per day for 5 years, which is far more than most people would ever do within the lifespan of their pistol. I also stopped at that point because my fingers were starting to blister.

But some people don't want to accept even that as being a sufficient test. As soon as I finish breaking in my new P365XL that will become my carry pistol and my P365 will become my backup. I will reinstall the extractor under test into my P365 and I will continue the extractor test. I predict that the extractor will survive another 1,830 times of being slammed into the cartridge rim while manually chambering.

Sig has REFUSED to say whether or not they have done ANY testing whatsoever on manually chambering the P365 series, so it appears to be up to me to do so.

Keep in my that I do NOT recommend releasing the slide and allowing it to slam closed over the cartridge rim. I recommend inserting a cartridge into the firing chamber, easing the slide closed and pressing the rear of the extractor inward to manually chamber a round. But the point of this testing is to prove that if you accidentally released the slide onto a cartridge already inside the firing chamber that it would NOT damage the extractor.

Posts: 34 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: August 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
Any suggestions on break-in from you experienced 365 owners? I have both 115 and 125 grain ammunition on hand. What about lubrication? This is the first new Sig I have ever had. I got the others well broken in.

In my experience, the P365s don't require any special break-in, ammo, cleaning, or lubrication procedures. They run like the other modern striker-fired pistols I own. I use factory 124 or 115 grain ammo. I clean and very lightly lube them every once in a while. The P365 isn't my primary carry gun but it might be one day.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:

In my experience, the P365s don't require any special break-in, ammo, cleaning, or lubrication procedures. They run like the other modern striker-fired pistols I own. I use factory 124 or 115 grain ammo. I clean and very lightly lube them every once in a while. The P365 isn't my primary carry gun but it might be one day.

Pretty much what I've done, except I draw a distinction between "break in" and "qualifying" the gun. Some guns like certain models of 1911 actually benefit from a few hundred rounds to allow parts to wear in. Guns like most Sigs, Glocks, HK's etc. are designed to work out of the box (save a bit of clean up and lub) and don't need that break in to function properly.

If however if the gun is intended for critical duty like carry or home defense instead of a range fun gun, then I usually put around 200 rounds through it to make sure there's no malfunctions and I can actually hit what I'm aiming at. No malfunctions in those first rounds not accountable to me, and I feel pretty good about trusting it in critical situations.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:In my experience, the P365s don't require any special break-in, ammo, cleaning, or lubrication procedures.

That depends upon what you call special break-in and what you consider acceptable performance.

You should clean the preservative off and lubricate the P365 before use. That alone made the trigger operate more smoothly in my P365XL. But it still wasn't what I would call smooth. Simply using the P365 will make the trigger smoother. But still not as smooth as when you polish the trigger linkage bar where it contacts the sear and striker safety lever. For as much as many people whine about trigger feel, why would you NOT want to polish the trigger linkage to make the trigger operate as smoothly as possible???

The stripper rail on my P365 (manufactured mid 2020) was so rough that it was very difficult to retract the slide over a magazine loaded to capacity, even after the first 50 rounds were fired and I have dry fired and retracted the slide hundreds of times. So I polished the stripper rail and the problem was solved. The before and after polishing difference was OMG!

But I did NOT have this problem with my P365XL (manufactured mid 2022). Although polishing the stripper rail did measurably reduce the amount of force needed to overcome the friction of the cartridges against the stripper rail. The unpolished stripper rail required 22% more force to overcome the friction than the polished rail. The brass shell cases will eventually polish the stripper rail. But how many thousands of rounds being shot does that require?

The number of rounds that you may need to fire to fully break-in your P365 may vary considerably, as the quality of the P365 varies considerably. Your mileage may vary greatly.

Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
Yea, I don't do anything special to my P365s or other polymer combat handguns than shoot them. I've got over 2k through a P365XMacro since Sept 2022 and haven't had a single functional issue when using the gun as intended.

Inspecting a gun before taking transfer and cleaning the gun prior to shooting should be done for obvious reasons.

Break-in is a myth for a modern combat polymer handgun. Even my MR920, who shadow systems recommends a break-in have been functionally perfect. Of course I use Slip2000 lube, so there's that. I don't shoot steel cased crap in my firearms either. YMMV

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Jeez. Roll Eyes I'm getting tired of checking this thread. It's getting tedious.

Posts: 6622 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenBundy:
The unpolished stripper rail required 22% more force to overcome the friction than the polished rail.

22% How did you determine that number? That's pretty specific. Please enlighten us with your testing and measurement equipment to arrive at that number.

BIDEN SUCKS.

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles: How did you determine that number? That's pretty specific. Please enlighten us with your testing and measurement equipment to arrive at that number.

With the recoil spring, striker, and disconnector removed I used a calibrated mechanical force gauge, rated at 2% accuracy, to measure the force required to retract the slide with the magazine loaded to capacity, with only one cartridge left in the magazine, and with no cartridges in the magazine, with both new magazine springs, and also weaker magazine springs that have gone through accelerated life testing, with Sig mag springs, MagGuts Mag springs, and ISMI Mag springs, with both brass and nickel plated brass shellcases, before and after polishing th e stripper rail.

I've also measured the force required to:

Overcome the disconnector friction,

Chamber a cartridge when fully loaded and with one cartridge left in the magazine with both Sig magazine followers and MagGuts followers, before and after polishing the breechface, the left adjacent wall to the breechface, and underneath the extractor claw, with both brass and nickel plated brass cartridges,

Close the slide over a cartridge already in the firing chamber before and after polishing the beveled edge of the extractor,

Retract the striker,

Insert a magazine loaded to capacity, with one round left in the magazine, when new and also after 500 simulations of magazine loading, and also after the magazine was loaded to capacity for a year, with Sig, MagGuts, and ISMI magazine springs,

Release the sear with both the strongest and weakest sear and trigger return springs that I have in order to determine a typical range of required trigger force,

Retract the slide with only the recoil spring installed, with both Sig and ISMI recoil springs,

This not only gives me a baseline to judge to condition of the various springs and other parts as they age in my P365s, it also showed the effectiveness of polishing various parts.

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

BIDEN SUCKS.

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I got the gun apart today and I was surprised at how dry it appeared to be. I have lubed it and am looking forward to shooting it.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the original model as well...upwards of 2000 rounds through it...great gun.

The trigger's not great but will improve.
Magazines are difficult to load the last two rounds, but will loosen up with time.
Take down lever was stiff initially but loosened with time.
Accuracy is great right out of the box...~1" for 10-shots at 10 yds with 124 gr Am Eagle right out of the box.
Feeding has been 100%...can't remember a malfunction...FMJ's, HP's, and LSWC reloads.

Outstanding carry gun...fairly light, good capacity, outstanding accuracy & reliability, super sights.

YMMv, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 728 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
P365s don't require any special break-in, ammo, cleaning, or lubrication procedures.

Definitely this, but as you discovered they can be lacking in proper lube straight from the factory. They might be slathered in oil when taken right out of the plastic bag that SIG often ships them within, but somewhat annoyingly dry in the places and spots where any of that oil matters the most.

The P365 IMHBTBO is a great pistol design. I have three now, two of the originals, and most recently added the Macro/Mongo/Mongoloid with unfortunate modded 10 rounders. I get the compassion for the Mongoloid in free states that can have the 17 round mags, but here behind the evil WA iron curtain it's kinda a dumb gun unless one has mitts the size of Andre The Giant's, but since I don't have any problem shooting well with the much easier to carry and conceal originals. Even though I've sort of moved on to the Shield+ as my backup carry, I keep the P365s around just in case simply because I DO think that they're absolutely great pistols. I do noticeably better with them in drills than I can with my 'house brand' micro 9s (G43 and G43X), being that I often claim to be one of those 'Glock guys'. Really comes down the SIG's trigger; the factory Glock bang switch doesn't compare. Even with aftermarket mods it's still not quite there, compared to where my P365 originals currently are (bone stock, they are). As for the Mongo...well, I'm simply not sure about that one yet.

But otherwise, when it comes down to it the P365 is really an honest-to-goodness game changer if there ever was one.

-MG

Posts: 2001 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post