SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ever practice point shooting?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever practice point shooting? Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted
Wondering if anyone here makes it part of their training at all.

Question:
How much do you practice point shooting?

Choices:
Never have
Sometimes when I'm just plinking
I tried shooting from the hip at point blank range a few times
I've made hits past ten yards a few times
I buy aspirin just to shoot them out of the air

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I point my pistol at the target each and every time. I find I hit things better than pointing it away from the target.

(Thought I would get a wise assed comment in early, way before this thread catches fire and explodes/gets locked)

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I couldn't really vote since my answer is I used to a lot before they closed the local indoor handgun range, and my current outdoor range does not allow silhouettes.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16304 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I didn’t select an answer because I’m not sure what you mean by “point shooting.”

Up to about 5 yards or so when speed is more important than pinpoint accuracy I shoot without using my sights. I also teach it as a defensive technique.

If by “hip shooting” you are referring to something like the ancient “FBI crouch,” I haven’t done that since it was no longer required for Army CID revolver qualifications decades ago. The only can’t see your gun shooting position with the gun tucked against the body I currently teach is if the target is within a yard or so, but the only time I actually shoot like that myself is for demonstration purposes.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
When I was 11 my dad gave me an Old Model Ruger Single Six and the non adjustable sight shot so high it wasn't like you were even aiming at what you were aiming at. So I probably did 90% of my shooting with it point shooting or shooting from the hip. Wasted a lot of ammo but developed some skill at it.

I'll do a little hip shooting now and again when I have ammo I know isn't very accurate, reliable, left over odds and ends or culls.

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have in the past and I get what you're talking about when saying "point shooting".
Very fast, close yardage, draw and fire usually with no sight picture.
Its been a while since I've done it and I'm probably very rusty but at one time, it was a part of my drills I'd do.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I’ve shot some IDPA stages which required shooting from the “hip”. (The key, as I was told, was to drive the elbow into the side, to give an additional point of contact. Decently useful out to maybe 5 yards.)

Posts: 5724 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
In this poll point shooting shall mean without using sights.

"Use the force Luke." That sort of thing.

Carry on.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
In this poll point shooting shall mean without using sights.

Didn't vote as you're talking pistols. Back in the late '60s I taught the "quick kill" technique at Fort Dix. (Yes, I was Army enlisted before getting my Naval commission.) The M16 had been recently introduced and many of the troops headed to 'Nam got this training. They were given a BB gun with no sights (taped over, etc.) and taught to use hand-eye coordination to instinctively shoot a small rubber ball tossed in the air about 10 feet away from them. Most all were eventually able to make hits 9 times out of 10. Gave them confidence to effectively use their "Mattel" guns from the hip.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a time and place for unsighted fire:
1- Contact distance to about 3 yards = No sights.
2- Further than 3 yards = flash sight picture.
3- If time and distance allow it = full sight alignment.
Most training I conducted was flash sight picture with at least one drill unsighted at very close contact distance. And with one handed strong hand and weak hand.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16062 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Most of my pocket pistol practice was point shooting style rather than aimed. It’s surprisingly accurate for not using sights.

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m big on ‘point shooting’, or ‘bent elbow’ shooting, no use of sights. At many/most CC events, it’s the norm, Indiana Mall aside.

I’m talking inside 5 yards, usually, inside 3.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
There are different kinds of point shooting. There are "alternative sighting techniques" like, for example, the Fairbairn/Sykes style or the Jim Cirillo "silhouette point." They accomplish the same thing in a slightly different way, i.e., putting the gun in your line of sight but focusing more on the target and not so much on the sights. I try to do ~25% of my own shooting this way. Then there is the kind that Massad Ayoob calls "body position index," a fancy way of saying "hip shooting." This is not feasible to practice at a formal range (they'd probably kick you out), and too expensive in terms of ammo expenditure.

Posts: 27921 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Didn’t vote. But I’m like YOop…in my police and CG training we shot with no sights from 3 yds…at 5 or 7 I just looked over the gun at the center target..anything beyond that I use the sights

Currently, when I go to the range if I take a pistol I do a 5/5/5 drill. Cold.

5 shots, in 5 seconds, at 5 yards into a five inch circle or the A zone of a USPSA backer

First one is always with my edc. If I brought another gun I give it a whirl too.

If I can do this I feel pretty good about my skills.

I’ve also done the Dicken Drill (40 yds/10 shots)…no worries either-but you gotta use your sights

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your poll does not have enough choices.

I practice point shooting both strong hand and weak hand. Been doing it for decades

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I practice point shooting every time I go to the bathroom to take a leak. Get pretty good at it over 75 years. Now if the stream would just cooperate like it did 25 years ago.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I don't practice unsighted fire, but I have been doing a lot of dry practice drawing and presenting to natural point of aim...bringing the gun out of the holster and presenting it, with the goal being that my grip and presentation are consistent so that when the sights (or the dot) come between me and the target, they're already in alignment with the target.

ETA: if by "point shooting" you're referring to shooting from the hip, I don't do that.

Posts: 8529 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I do it almost every day with an exact copy of my carry pistol with a laser cartridge in that pistol.

None of this is "from the hip". but with two hands, griped correctly and pushing and pulling at the same time.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do a lot of top of the holster shooting. From my police days most contact with people was up close and personal. Violence of action wins so I never used my sights inside of 7 yards. Beyond that I would draw, fire and have a sight picture at round 8.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
quote:
Your poll does not have enough choices.

I practice point shooting both strong hand and weak hand. Been doing it for decades

You've my approval to use either of the last couple choices...I mean, close enough right? Wink