SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Looking at a lightweight revolver for CCW…
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking at a lightweight revolver for CCW… Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I couldn’t sleep last night and was in the rabbit hole watching the internet and One of the guntuber was getting 1200 feet+ from a brand x snub in 32H&R using the buffalo bore.

You mentioned double tap which is warm but their best round is 120 grain hardcast at ~1000 from a 3 inch. are these guns rated for buffalo bore as well ? I’d buy one if I could have 6 rounds of 100 grains at 1200 on board.

Posts: 4773 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted for the 442/642. Find one without the stupid ILS lock and you'll be good!

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the 442. It is hard to go wrong with S&W J Frame revolvers. No hammer makes it easy to carry as you avoid snags.
They are not the most fun gun to hit the range with but they have power, are accurate and reliable as it gets.

Posts: 70 | Location: Southeast Georgia  | Registered: February 04, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite snub is a S&W model 386NG.
24 Oz. 2.5" barrel with 7 rounds of .357 magnum.
Light enough to carry but heavy enough that you can really shoot .357 magnum rounds.

Posts: 6 | Location: Texas Hill Country  | Registered: November 30, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Since you mentioned 38 spcl, I voted 340PD, or similar.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Just got off the phone with the Lipsey's dealer....my 642UC is in. Unfortunately I'm working all weekend and he's a county over so I can't go get it until Monday, but the excitement is real!

Posts: 8575 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is one sweet J frame. Like a 640 Pro had sex with a 340 no lock. Nice. I can go pick it up for you if you want. I will get it back to you like new. lol

Posts: 7508 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Lol while I appreciate the offer I'm looking forward to breaking this one in myself! I kinda hope they don't have one of the .32s in stock too, or I may end up spending too much money...

Posts: 8575 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have absolutely zero knowledge about 32’s. Total blank spot in my brain. 327 magnum, 32 HR magnum, 32 short and long, some other stuff? I know some of it interchanges and some doesn’t. I know ammo is supposedly hard to find but this isn’t exactly a high round count gun. Extra shot and light recoil is compelling.

The UC is how they should all start in my opinion. If that had been available I would have bought that instead of my 340. (which I love)

Posts: 7508 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was all set to buy a 340 or 642 this year and then this happened. I love my 640 Pro...this gives me pretty much all the same stuff plus some, but in a lighter package.

I started down the .32 trail a few years ago when I picked up my Beretta 81. I then learned that they made J-Frames in .32 S&W that would actually fire and extract.32 ACP because its semi-rimmed. I found a really ugly S&W model 31 3" online for cheap and refinished it. I tried it out with .32 ACP and it worked just fine, but then I got some .32 S&W Long brass and started loading that for it.

It's a fun little cartridge...recoils barely more than a .22LR, is more reliable, and supposedly penetrates pretty well with full wadcutters (which for some stupid reason it's hard to find molds for these days). It also holds 6 instead of 5, which IMO isn't a big deal. With all the other options out there these days if you're using a revolver, capacity clearly is not your priority.

I wouldn't carry it defensively. At this point in my life I can handle plenty of more potent calibers, and I have policies to consider from work that dictate .380 or above. It's also hard to find ammo locally, be it .32 S&W, .32 H&R, or .327 Mag...if you don't reload it makes very little sense. The role I could see it filling is as a carry piece for someone like my wife. If I could ever convince her to do it, she'd be a lot more comfortable with the lower recoil, simple manual of arms, and intentional trigger of a small revolver.