SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Apparently the Gen 5 G17/19 are available for preorder.
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apparently the Gen 5 G17/19 are available for preorder. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
poster floating around showing the changes, could be interesting. DLC coating, new rifling, ambi slide stop, no grooves, flared mag well

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundawg:
poster floating around showing the changes, could be interesting. DLC coating, new rifling, ambi slide stop, no grooves, flared mag well

No more rust would indeed be a nice return to how it once was.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^ Marksman barrel Smile

No front night sight??

looks to me like same old crappy plastic sights. Frown

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's a DLC coating ?

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Diamond Like Carbon.

Here's one company's riff on it. Have no idea who/what Glock is using.

https://www.ibccoatings.com/dl...-coating-ceratough-d

My guess is that this will replace the gaseous nitriding that replaced Tennifer.

quote:
Originally posted by Nick B:
What's a DLC coating ?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick B:
What's a DLC coating ?

In my limited useage,

Ion Bond, DLC

Its a surface hardening treatment.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
^^ Marksman barrel Smile

No front night sight??

Personally I like it that they come with those sights, because with the myriad of options available today, the stock night sights would get tossed anyway.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so in my thinking to two most important aspects will be how the DLC holds up, and if any differences in accuracy are seen with the new barrel.

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I bet the majority of buyers (who are not posting on web forums) keep the stock sights on. I bet more would if they were better.

Before the drop safety fiasco, one of the things I liked better about the P320 was the fact that I didn't really have to change anything on it to get it the way I would want it. Can't say that about the Glock. Of course some people buy the Glock specifically for a project, but none of the parts should be bad enough that they need to be replaced. The sights are.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
^^ Marksman barrel Smile

No front night sight??

Personally I like it that they come with those sights, because with the myriad of options available today, the stock night sights would get tossed anyway.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I bet the majority of buyers (who are not posting on web forums) keep the stock sights on. I bet more would if they were better.

Before the drop safety fiasco, one of the things I liked better about the P320 was the fact that I didn't really have to change anything on it to get it the way I would want it. Can't say that about the Glock. Of course some people buy the Glock specifically for a project, but none of the parts should be bad enough that they need to be replaced. The sights are.

Yeah that's me right there. If the Glock sights were just metal, I would've just use them like that. The main reason my Glocks have night sights was because of the stock plastic sights.. ugh

I was hoping I'd get the 19M with the FBI sights.. guess not, a bit of a bummer. However I'm getting this 19 anyway.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks mighty promising. I love the flared mag well and glad they are ditching the finger grooves on the 19.

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I had read, and this info is old, that Glock will install a good set of metal night sights (rebranded Meprolites?) pretty cheap, if you send your slide into Smyna. I don't know if this is still the case.

But if it is, they should just offer the guns that way.

quote:
quote:

Yeah that's me right there. If the Glock sights were just metal, I would've just use them like that. The main reason my Glocks have night sights was because of the stock plastic sights.. ugh

I was hoping I'd get the 19M with the FBI sights.. guess not, a bit of a bummer. However I'm getting this 19 anyway.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I had read, and this info is old, that Glock will install a good set of metal night sights (rebranded Meprolites?) pretty cheap, if you send your slide into Smyna. I don't know if this is still the case.

But if it is, they should just offer the guns that way.

Yes they still do. Sent my last 26's slide in about 2 months ago via FedEx ground and Glock charged $64 or so for return postage and night sights installed. Very reasonable.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Looks like a gun store / range in my area is sponsoring a "Midnight Madness" event this weekend to unveil the Gen 5s. A bit past my bedtime but may try to make it anyway.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Slightly higher velocities than traditional land-and-groove barrels, all else being equal, and these barrels are ridiculously easy to clean, even after extensive shooting.

After running several thousand coated bullets through a G19 barrel, a few passes with a pass and brush, and a bore snake...no visible evidence that the barrel had ever been used.

Poly barrels are much easier to clean and maintain that lands and grooves, for sure.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I would consider a non-polygonal barrel a step backward.

quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Slightly higher velocities than traditional land-and-groove barrels, all else being equal, and these barrels are ridiculously easy to clean, even after extensive shooting.

After running several thousand coated bullets through a G19 barrel, a few passes with a pass and brush, and a bore snake...no visible evidence that the barrel had ever been used.

Poly barrels are much easier to clean and maintain that lands and grooves, for sure.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Looks like RTF3 grip. I like.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would consider a non-polygonal barrel a step backward.

^^^ +1 ^^^

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The only advantage I would see to conventional rifling would be to shooter who shot cast lead bullets. How many 9mm auto shooters are out there who shoot cast lead? I don't think its going to be a big number, especially percentage-wise.