SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Apparently the Gen 5 G17/19 are available for preorder.
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apparently the Gen 5 G17/19 are available for preorder. Login/Join 
has a low threshold
for bullshit
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
IIRC the new barrel was a customer requirement but I forget exactly why.

The customer is the FBI, and they wanted better lands and grooves to forensically identify bullets coming out of their guns. Traditional rifling from "match barrels" is how it was relayed to me.

Posts: 1687 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EmpireState:
I swear if its the Glock 44 (a .40 version of the 43), I may lose my mind. Big Grin

I'm hoping that more specific news leaks later this week. Some places are going to be open at midnight for this reveal party.

Yea, I would be quite angry! My local range said the reveal is two pistols. Two separate SKU numbers.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
If it's not the Glock 17M and Glock 19M I will eat my shorts.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by evolution:
quote:
I swear if its the Glock 44 (a .40 version of the 43), I may lose my mind. Big Grin

I'm hoping that more specific news leaks later this week. Some places are going to be open at midnight for this reveal party.

Yea, I would be quite angry! My local range said the reveal is two pistols. Two separate SKU numbers.

The Glock 44 will be the .357 Sig and the Glock 45 will be a 9mm?

No. Not really, but how much fun would it be to also explain that and the the 22 is a .40 and the 40 is a 10mm and the 44 is a .357 and the 45 is a 9...

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
I have to admit, I'm a excited about this. I can see myself making a purchase this weekend if the price is reasonable.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to admit, I'm a excited about this. I can see myself making a purchase this weekend if the price is reasonable.

I wonder what kind of availability? And what price?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
quote:

I wonder what kind of availability? And what price?

Exactly. If the stores are holding them for ransom, I'll pass. Also what exactly is being released and what configuration? Sights? I'd just about wet myself if they had the 17/19M with the Ameriglo HD sights for under $600, especially if the 19 didn't have that cutout in the front of the grip. If I walk through the door and its $600+ for a plastic sight model, I'll laugh and walk out.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Accuracy, damn it! I want to know about accuracy! Smile

Is it the weekend yet?

But seriously, if work switches to 9mm I may as well be stuck with the latest Glock, and if they ditch the groves and up the accuracy, heck, I'd buy one.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
We are set to take delivery of Gen5 guns in October at work.
Wait, I thought you said you guys were sticking with the Gen 4 guns due to the teething issues on the M/Gen 5 guns?

What changed? What did the Austrians do to convince you guys the M models are fixed?

I'm curious because the FBI contract allows other agencies to buy the guns, and rumors have kicked into overdrive that some agencies, including mine, might buy off that contract.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
IIRC the new barrel was a customer requirement but I forget exactly why.

The customer is the FBI, and they wanted better lands and grooves to forensically identify bullets coming out of their guns. Traditional rifling from "match barrels" is how it was relayed to me.
Sorry, but I have a hard time believing they spec'd the barrel in hopes of ID'ing bullets coming out of their guns.

There are lots of flaws with that idea.

I can believe they want greater accuracy out of the guns, as a motivation for the rifling spec.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I predict the new generation Glocks will not be anymore reliable or accurate than current generation Gen 4 Glocks, which isn't bad. I am also not confident the BTF issue will be totally fixed, once and for all, because currently it is NOT. It is the luck of the draw. I have a Gen 4 G19 and its accuracy is pretty good by Glock standards, but it still lags behind my CZ P-10c and other pistols that i used to own (VP9, P320c, PPQ). Also to get it how I wanted it, I had to put around $300 into it.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biggy:
Factory stock Glocks have always been a step down in *practical* accuracy from pistols like the VP9,PPQ,P320c,CZP-10C,and a few others. Imho, since some of the *current* production Glocks still have the BTF issues, I am not confident that it will be fixed in the next generation Glock. Some Clocks though can have top tier accuracy and no BTF. IMHO, it is just the luck of the draw when you buy one.

Do we know for certain what is the reason behind this? The barrel rifling?

What's the advantage of the Glock original "polygonal" rifling? Better gas seal and less wear?

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Slightly higher velocities than traditional land-and-groove barrels, all else being equal, and these barrels are ridiculously easy to clean, even after extensive shooting.

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Wait, I thought you said you guys were sticking with the Gen 4 guns due to the teething issues on the M/Gen 5 guns?

What changed? What did the Austrians do to convince you guys the M models are fixed?

I'm curious because the FBI contract allows other agencies to buy the guns, and rumors have kicked into overdrive that some agencies, including mine, might buy off that contract.

Yep, you are correct. However, like in any agency, you send a couple of dudes to Glock for a few days, and they come back all full of piss and vinegar over what they just shot. Memos get fired off, wording gets changed, and viola, you get Gen5s. I think that the big thing that drove it was the promise of the delivery date.

The big thing that I like, if true, is the accuracy and the magwell. The trigger is supposed to be a bit better out of the box. I guess I will know soon enough.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Slightly higher velocities than traditional land-and-groove barrels, all else being equal, and these barrels are ridiculously easy to clean, even after extensive shooting.

Yep. As I've posted numerous times, I shoot a lot of hard cast lead reloads (mine) at lower to mid-range velocities. My Gen4 G19 and G34 have NO residue after 20 passes with a bronze brush. Easier to clean than my Sigs and 1911's using similar reloads. For this reason alone, I'd have no interest in Gen5 conventional rifling.

IMO, the "don't shoot lead from Glock OEM poly barrels" is an old wives tale.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Yep. As I've posted numerous times, I shoot a lot of hard cast lead reloads (mine) at lower to mid-range velocities. My Gen4 G19 and G34 have NO residue after 20 passes with a bronze brush. Easier to clean than my Sigs and 1911's using similar reloads. For this reason alone, I'd have no interest in Gen5 conventional rifling.

IMO, the "don't shoot lead from Glock OEM poly barrels" is an old wives tale.

This article/info seems to confirm your experience with using *hard cast lead * ammo in Glocks.

https://www.buffalobore.com/in...?l=product_list&c=59

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Biggy. As a point of reference, my bullets have a Brinell Hardness of 21. All of my guy's bullets have the same hardness. Some manufacturers vary hardness by caliber/weight. Don't know if that's useful or just marketing.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
For anyone in the Atlanta area Big Woods Goods is also having an event for the release on Saturday. They are also holding a raffle to decide who the first two shooters are.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:

Yep, you are correct. However, like in any agency, you send a couple of dudes to Glock for a few days, and they come back all full of piss and vinegar over what they just shot. Memos get fired off, wording gets changed, and viola, you get Gen5s. I think that the big thing that drove it was the promise of the delivery date.

The big thing that I like, if true, is the accuracy and the magwell. The trigger is supposed to be a bit better out of the box. I guess I will know soon enough.
You guys must have a lot more flexibility than the feds. We either buy off an existing contract, or must have a "competition" for a contract, like the FBI did to get the "M" contract.

I hope the problems have been worked out, both for you and others getting the guns soon, and for us if the rumors are true about buying off the FBI contract.

Picture of KHolm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
The Gen 5 19 and 17 (19M/17M)are being unveiled at my range on August 26th.

Yup, just saw what I hope is the real promo materials laying on a desk for the Gen 5 at a LGS. I'd like to try on this no finger grooves, flared magwell option. The rest of it does little for me, personally. I'm digging my new FS Summer Special.

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post