SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    CCW has changed so much in the last 40 years...what would you have carried back then...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCW has changed so much in the last 40 years...what would you have carried back then... Login/Join 
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
1981, it was a S&W model 39-2

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikey357:
added were an 8 & 3/8" Model 29

IWB ? Did the girls nickname you liar ? Wink

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'd carry what I did carry at that time- a Colt 1911 in .45 ACP, in a Jackass shoulder holster. That's right, Mister 9mm started out as a 45 man, which every "serious pistolero" was back then. Yes it was big, yes it was heavy. It was also the only centerfire auto pistol I owned at the time, so...

Very comforting, it was.

I had that rig,

it was heavy,

used it a few years, then stopped,
sold it off on ebay maybe 10 yrs ago, and got damn good money for it,

I think Bianchi makes it now (Miami Classic IIRC,

I also carried a Beretta 950BS or a Smith 66 3"

I think it was the 90's when I picked up my Detonic's combat master

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yucaipa:
quote:
Originally posted by mikey357:
added were an 8 & 3/8" Model 29

IWB ? Did the girls nickname you liar ? Wink

LOL! No, not IWB--I carried it under a Windbreaker or heavy Winter Coat in a Bianchi X-15 Shoulder Holster--I used to deliver Jewelry from several retail outlets around the greater ATL to a coupla' shops that did high-end repair work--First time I went to the shop in the sketchier part of town--Down by the City of Atlanta Traffic Court, in the shadow of old Fulton County Stadium & the Gold Dome--I carried the Model 29, the Model 19 AND the Randall--Keep in mind this was in pre-Cell Phone days, and IF the Cops responded to an Armed Robbery or "Shots Fired" call in that neighborhood, it was just for "Clean-Up"--I resolved that I was NOT gonna' be the one needing to be cleaned up--Only kept THAT job about six months... Smile

Posts: 641 | Location: Griffin, GA, USA | Registered: November 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Did your mom ever hang you on a hook once? Once. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Did your mom ever hang you on a hook once? Once. Smile

LOL! Once was all it took, right?

Posts: 641 | Location: Griffin, GA, USA | Registered: November 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
S&W 669 or 6906.

It was the Glock 19 before there was a Glock 19.

Absolutely agree with Rogue.

S&W 9mm pistols were very popular back then in my area. Rarely saw a J-frame.

I was very young in 1991 and carried a S&W 469, which was essentially an older version of 6904. 12 rounds. Hollowpoint reliable. 30-40 years ago, S&W had some very popular semi-autos.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:
30-40 years ago, S&W had some very popular semi-autos.

The S&W 2nd and 3rd Gen semiautos dominated the LE market back in those days. That continued for a while even after Glock took off.

Heck, one of my local agencies (Fayetteville PD, one of the larger departments in the state) only finally gave up their S&W 4006s in 2009ish, in favor of Glocks.

A few other even bigger agencies out there clung to their S&W 3rd Gens even longer, like the California Highway Patrol who used the S&W 4006 through 2019, and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, who are just now working on finding a replacement for their S&W 5946s.

They're still in a few US LE holsters out there too, including some older NYPD guys whose 5946s are grandfathered in, despite it no longer being on the approved handgun list for new guys.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W model 10 4 inch barrel OWB holster.

Posts: 40 | Location: Southwestern Ohio | Registered: September 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I'd like to think I would have kept an Undercover in my pocket during high-school Big Grin

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d like to say a P7 M8 but most likely a model 60 …

Posts: 198 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A J frame. I still like a J frame.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
40 years ago,I was just outta Law School, having been a cop for some 11 years before that.

I carried what I had carried as a LEO, a Smith J-Frame 38 Special or a Colt LW commander in 45ACP.

I'be quite satisfied if that was what I carried now, though I've convinced myself the Ruger LCR is better, overall, than the Smith.

Bob

Posts: 1559 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt Commander 45 , or Colt 38.

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
On-duty was a Smith 4506 and a model 640. Off-duty was a nickle 469.

Posts: 868 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1962 - Issued Colt Commando 4in. bbl (junk)
1963 - Authorized to carry Colt 357 (owned)
l965 - Issued S&W Model 19 4in. bbl
1966 - 1986 Issued S&W Model 19 2.5in. bbl
1986 - Retired from federal law enforcement;
began collecting Sigs!

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the 1970s and 1980s, I had my grandfather's Colt 1908 in .380ACP. It was not legal for me to carry. But I understand Al Capone carried one. I see them in old film noir movies sometimes, so there were probably some people carrying them somewhere.

In 1991 I added a new Colt Government in .380ACP. The front sight of the 1908 had fallen off and I couldn't find a replacement sight.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started carrying in 1965, S&W Mod 15.

Started concealed carry 1969 carrying a S&W Model 36 or 60 unless I felt the need for a Model 19 2 1/2 inch.

In 1985 I started carrying a Sig 226 then a 225 graduating to a 228.

In 1992 I occasionally started carrying a Glock 19

2015 Sig 239 or Glock 32C

Sigs are my favorite as that is what I learned Semi's on but Glocks have their place as I never worry about damaging them

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 0658,

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Astra Constable and a S&W Model 40

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
Ruger Security Six in .357 4 inch barrel with a Jackass Leather Pancake holster in the early 80's. Picked up a Browning Hipower in Louisville when I was stationed at Fort Knox in '83. Sold or traded both of those when I got on the job in '87. Girlfriend gave me a Sig 220 in .45 for graduation from the Academy.

Posts: 816 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post