SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    CCW has changed so much in the last 40 years...what would you have carried back then...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCW has changed so much in the last 40 years...what would you have carried back then... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
A S&W j frame. Pretty much the same back then as now.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1984 my duty gun was a 1911. Carried it off duty most of the time.

If I wanted something smaller, I’d carry my Detonics.

But. As a back up. A model 60 a 640 and then a 642.

Posts: 882 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
Back then I carried a Browning HiPower until the Beretta 92F was available. In the 90's I made the switch to Glock.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If not carrying my duty 4" S/W revolver off duty, then it was my model 36 J frame.

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Started carrying a commander in ‘91 when I turned 21…learned that stainless guns are heavy and went from one gun to the next over the next decade or so…

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
1911 then.
1911 now.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Probably a Beretta 92 or P226, backed up by a J-Frame.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HK-4 in .380. Dan Wesson .357 w/4 in barrel. Charter Arms 44 spl 5 shot revolver.

With winter clothes I could sometimes conceal a SW mod 59 9mm.

For a while I had a Detonics .45.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W Mod. 29 4" bbl in a shoulder holster.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
In the mid 90s, while there were no ccw, I carried on occasion because of opening and closing a gun/class iii/gold & silver shop.

I had either a 442(that I still had) or a 4516 in a cowhide iwb holster.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Forty years ago? 1981 predates a lot of stuff I’d carry. Probably a 1911, 5” Govt model. Why not? Para’s set up with the shoulder holster makes a lot of sense for the time. Was something like the Milt Sparks VM2 an option then? Maybe that, but I’ve never carried a full size 1911 IWB, and have no idea who comfortable or concealable it would be for me.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 1986, I sold off the HK P7 I had been carrying so I could get a SW 669. I didn’t like the HK heel mag release. I also carried a SW Model 36.

Posts: 757 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I received my carry permit in 2004 I carried a Beretta 8045 Cougar in an Uncle Mike’s IWB holster but if I had been smarter I would have held onto one of my first pistols and used that to carry and if we stretched back to the mid-90's that same pistol would have been (and should have been) my first choice.

I would have carried my Smith & Wesson 457 chambered in .45 ACP.

… I miss my 457.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am an old guy. Started carrying in the late 60's. For the first 10 years or so it was a S&W J frame 38 with a 3 inch barrel or a Mod 10 both with round butts.

Posts: 13 | Registered: July 09, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Got my ccw in 85 or 6 when Fla first offered them. Carried a Detonics in an Alessi iwb. In 94 got a p-12 and carried that until purchasing a 228 that is currently carried.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1088 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
40 years ago. Didn't have a lot of money so a Charter Arms Undercover.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DonGlock26
posted Hide Post
When I graduated from the police academy in 1989, I bought a .38spl 649 snubby.
It served me well for years. Eventually, I switched to a P232 and a G26.

-----------------------------------
"If they don't go concentrating on meaningless cosmetic changes, like rainbow this or two-tone that, or wood grip panels from the ackabalacka tree"-Parabellum

Posts: 1197 | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
Mid 80's to 9-11 Ruger Security six, still have it. After 9-11 I like a lot of people 'upgraded' for me it was sigP220

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
30-40 years ago, I had zero need to carry concealed. Until 1995, it would have been a 4 inch Model 66 in some form of a OWB holster. Or a Beretta 92F that I bought in 1990.

1995 brought my first SIG P226.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
Browning Hi Power and a J frame Smith and Wesson.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post