SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    CCW has changed so much in the last 40 years...what would you have carried back then...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCW has changed so much in the last 40 years...what would you have carried back then... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I started carrying concealed in 1975 with a Four-inch Smith & Wesson Model 19-3 I still have...Next two handguns added were an 8 & 3/8" Model 29 & a Randall 1911--Strangely, I didn't buy any J-Frame Smiths until '86 or '87...

Now, my ''Always Gun" is a Smith Model 442 pre-Lock, frequently supplemented by a Model 19 or 66 Snubby or a Sig P250 Compact or Subcompact...May start carrying an older Colt Cobra some, too...

Posts: 645 | Location: Griffin, GA, USA | Registered: November 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
Started carrying mid-‘70s; satin nickel Combat Commander w/ MMC sights; 3” HB J-frame in hot weather.

I was pretty skinny back then so I could even conceal my 6” Python w/ Mustang combat grips under a Hawaiian shirt if I was feeling frisky.

Hey, it was Miami…

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
In the late 80s it was a 4&3/4 SAA in .44 special (it was what I had at the time) and that was followed by a Star Firestar.40.

Posts: 593 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Too add to the OP.

There is no denying a, for example, Glock 17 with an RMR and HSTs is a superior weapon then most everything listed here. That said do any of you feel you wouldn’t be able to have a fighting chance to defend yourself given your “vintage” gear? For me personally I would have no issues with most of it.

Ok you .25 folks just no. And yes I WOULD rather be shot with a .25 then run through with a sharp stick. Wink Razz

My first real carry gun was a SIG P239 in .40. Still have it and would put it into a defensive role today without a second thought if necessary.

You raise good points.

Guns and ammo have progressed but just about all the weapons being discussed can still do the job if operater can.

You'd hardly be unarmed carrying a P239 in .40.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Too add to the OP.

There is no denying a, for example, Glock 17 with an RMR and HSTs is a superior weapon then most everything listed here. That said do any of you feel you wouldn’t be able to have a fighting chance to defend yourself given your “vintage” gear? For me personally I would have no issues with most of it.

Ok you .25 folks just no. And yes I WOULD rather be shot with a .25 then run through with a sharp stick. Wink Razz

My first real carry gun was a SIG P239 in .40. Still have it and would put it into a defensive role today without a second thought if necessary.

Agreed. My first ccw gun in Jan 1991 was a S&W 640 in .38 Special - I really wish I still had that gun. My second purchase was a Beretta 92 Compact Type M (single stack) I stupidly traded in towards a p228. Both of which I miss. My 92F Compact will have to do for now.

Any of those would still be effective today. I regret constantly chasing the next new thing.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Taking the OP's criteria, Concealed Carry and 40 years ago -

While some did carry 5" barreled auto's, the idea they were concealed was based on their ability to do so inside the existing laws. For the average citizen, even in states like MO or OK, there was no permit system or allowable regulation. If you did carry there was a penalty when found.

I did most of my carry while in BDU's on field training, not a regular drill session in the Reserves. Carry around town wasn't allowed, most didn't, compared to now.

Beretta 92SF, in a shoulder holster, not very well concealed.
Detonics Pocket Nine, all stainless.
Glock 19C, which was then considered "concealable" yet it dwarfs a P365XL.

While it may be undeniable to some to carry a full sized 5" barreled red dot equipped handgun as the 'best' concealed weapon, I've currently settled on a P365. Had I seen an SAS unported I may have gone that route. A concealed weapon now is, to me, a 3" barreled firearm in a light weight - polymer frame - no snag controls, no snag sights. Since this is largely a matter of an 18" Center of Mass bullseye target with only hits scored inside that ring, even out to 50 feet it's hard to miss. The current trend to equip a carry gun with all the tactical trappings of a SEAL Team pistol with the accuracy of a match competition rig where one ring separates the top ten in the standings, really has little to do with you or me getting a gallon of milk after 8:30 at a Dollar General.

I don't think the real point of concealed carry has changed at all over the last 40 years. When concealed really blossomed was after FL passed their law with a poison pill - and flashing or unintended display was prosecutable. And at that point the discussion went to even deeper concealed carry, and undercover carry got thrown in the mix. This was when IWB was invented and the first variant was tuckable holsters so an office shirt covered them up. There were a few who carried 5" duty double stacks but it was rare under a shirt where the first office snitch would hotline you to HR and your job was on the line.

When you set aside LEO's carrying in suits, the remainder were the early pioneers of rediscovering civilian carry, with it's considerably toxic civilian environment and largely based on Euro .380s and .38 Snubnoses. There were fits and starts with small guns, Smith 3900 compacts and .38 snub noses were the bulk of civilian carry until Kahr broke new ground on slim small models with their own patented features.

I remember concealed then, detectives wearing twin 1911's in a shoulder holster - really - the public had .22 Derringers in their pockets, etc. A Jennings was more common that a Seecamp and any idea of a gun printing in any way was negative. Lots of businessmen carrying deposits might have a .32 in a coat pocket. Most of those carriers 40 years ago - would now be 80.

We aren't going to get many to respond.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first pistol was a Smith and wesson 57 jumped to a model 29 both 4 inch models.Even today I carry a Sig 226 or a Glock 22...VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I was old enough then I’d carry the Same thing I ccw now. A 442 but I do have a 60 I can carry

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ElToro,

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
Carried a Star Firestar 9mm, Loved that gun. Although, it was a bit heavy for what it was it shot great.

Posts: 799 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uggg…

First was what turned out to be a Smith and Wesson M13. All aluminum K Frame 38. Which I knew nothing about, thought it was a model 12. Blew it up.

Then directly to a Beretta 92, cause 1989.

Then after a few months, I gave in to the “fact” that 9mm was at best suited for annoying small rodents, and I got me a .45…

Smith and Wesson 645. And nothing but the best would do for ammunition, it was Cor-Bon with the 200 grain Speer Flying Ashtray Hollowpoints.

And because 1989, and since at that point in life I still had an actual metabolism, I carried in a Gallo Miami Classic.

If I tried that today I’d be in the ER with spinal displacement in about ten minutes. Lots to be said for polymer, despite the lack of uber coolness therein!

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I carried a Colt Detective Special with a Colt hammer shroud on it.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Late 80’s S&W 5906 in a (gasp) nylon fanny pack.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Late 70’s, a S&W Model 10 snubbie in a high rise pancake holster was my choice of CCW. It was an easy choice because it was the only handgun I owned.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the timeline mentioned, I’d have probably carried a colt detective special. It was reliable, and back then my family was all about revolvers. Plus the DT special was reliable, shootable and carried an extra round over the j frame.

In retrospect I could have saved a couple bucks by rolling with a DT special or my NYPD surplus 2 inch S&W 64 until either I got my 228 or a 3913 or 239. Then stuck with that pistol until the Gen 5 G19 or P320 Xcompact rolled around.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt Light weight Commander. AMT Back up .380 as a BUG. I actually owned both guns 40 years ago and carried them in the mid 90's when I was stationed in Alabama.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got my first carry permit in 1978, and carried a 4" 357 until I could afford something better. I mostly carried a 3" snubby for years, when duty stations allowed. Once I left the Corps in 1990, I worked with Juvenile Drug dealers. I upped the 38 snubby to a Commander 45.

Shortly after that I went to the P220 45, and it's still my EDC, weather permitting. Hot days, 357 snubby.

"You can tell a lot about the character of a man, by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Posts: 14 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: November 17, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I carried a smith 642 and colt pocket 9 in the 90’s.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Early '90's I carried either a Ruger SP101 2.25 barrel with 38spc LSWC or a Star Firestar M43 9mm w/hydra-shoks.

Both IWB, that M43 was heavy but accurate.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brokenolmarine:
Once I left the Corps in 1990, I worked with Juvenile Drug dealers.

Did the drug dealing at least pay well? Health insurance? 401k match?

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had to have a 645 when they first came out, made the mistake of not checking that screaw on the right safety lever, those are harder than hens teeth to find, finally found one on ebay.
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:
Uggg…

First was what turned out to be a Smith and Wesson M13. All aluminum K Frame 38. Which I knew nothing about, thought it was a model 12. Blew it up.

Then directly to a Beretta 92, cause 1989.

Then after a few months, I gave in to the “fact” that 9mm was at best suited for annoying small rodents, and I got me a .45…

Smith and Wesson 645. And nothing but the best would do for ammunition, it was Cor-Bon with the 200 grain Speer Flying Ashtray Hollowpoints.

And because 1989, and since at that point in life I still had an actual metabolism, I carried in a Gallo Miami Classic.

If I tried that today I’d be in the ER with spinal displacement in about ten minutes. Lots to be said for polymer, despite the lack of uber coolness therein!

Bill R

Posts: 95 | Registered: October 21, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post