SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    CCW has changed so much in the last 40 years...what would you have carried back then...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCW has changed so much in the last 40 years...what would you have carried back then... Login/Join 
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Almost every day of my life since 1980, no matter what I carried as a primary sidearm, a Smith and Wesson J-frame was always on my ankle. The first two Primary sidearms I carried here in the States were a Colt Government Model followed by a SIG P220 both in 45ACP

These days that J-frame is usually my primary carry gun.

I never followed the FADs.

You wont find me carrying a plastic micro anything or changing firearms every time some on YouTube "EXPERT" tells me it is the newest miracle hardware

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a cop, I carried a lot of the flavors of the month. If I could turn back the clock:
9mm Lightweight Commander, bought for me by my Old Man. 1972. 9 before 9 was cool!
Round butt 3 inch Model 65.
Round Butt 2.5 inch Model 19.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YooperSigs,

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
My first carry gun was a Beretta 92. I’d go back to it without hesitation if necessary.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Started carrying in 1988. It was a Colt Gov't model series 80 45 ACP. Carried it daily for 25 years. I don't shoot 45 much these days (mostly 38 Super & 9mm) but it has never let me down over 10K+ rounds through it. Changed out the hammer for a Commander one when I bought it. Lowered & flared the ejection port. Everything else is stock. (had to refinish it due to 2 1/2 decades in & out of a leather holster.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
1980 I'd probably carry a J-Frame in the spring/fall/summer and either a 2.5 or 3" K frame or a 1911 commander in the winter.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 1981, I only knew S&W revolvers. So, I suspect my carry gun would have been a J frame.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Back in the 90s I carried a Beretta 92.
Been carrying a J frame for 15 years now.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Either a Star PD or a 2”, RB S&W model 10.

Posts: 90 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
Mine was a stainless Colt Officer's model in .45 that had some minor work done to accommodate being a lefty. Carried in a Milt Sparks summer special every day. Heavy compared the the SW centennial my Dad gave me, but boy I sure loved (and still do) the size of that muzzle opening.

Shame I've gotten older/weaker and spoiled by micro tupperware. Big Grin

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
Got my first carry permit in 1998. I had come back from Okinawa in 1997 was finally over 21. I was stationed in Utah and took my carry course at Impact Guns. I was in one of their first classes before they turned into a huge operation. At the time I had a USP40 Compact and carried that. I also picked up a P7M13 and would carry that from time to time, but it was heavy and “only a 9.” In 1998 40 SW ruled the roost. I got that P7M13 with three mags and a couple of good holsters for $600. An agency in Utah had just moved on from the P7 and you could get their old guns for “cheap.” Back then $600 wasn’t cheap for an E-5! Back then I would of laughed at my current J frame carry gun.

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I got my permit in the early ‘90s and first carried a 2-1/2”-barreled S&W 66 in an Uncle Mike’s nylon shoulder holster. I thought that holster was so cool; it was an absolute nightmare of relatively unsupportive and randomly-adjusting straps haha!

Thusly began a series of K-frame Magnums for me, mostly 4-inch 19s or 66s. I even used a fanny pack for a time, and not even one of the dedicated “gun-carrying” packs.

I chuckle at myself looking back over those memories, perhaps even more so as I just purchased a 4-inch 66 “no-dash,” being on a bit of a renewed revolver kick. This one would have served me well in the era featured in this thread.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
What I carried back then was a 1908 Colt.
Not my gun, but looks just like the one I had.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same as now, S&W 66 2 1/2". Might even be the same holster.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pace40,

Posts: 641 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
almost exactly 40 years ago. Carry was a Walther PP in .32. French police surplus as I recall. Nightstand gun was a Colt Series 70 Government. Those were the only guns I owned at the time. Walther got stolen out of my car, I am still pissed off at myself for letting that happen. Still have the Colt.

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt Detective Special

Posts: 192 | Registered: June 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started with a 1911 in .45 so that's my answer. I had a lot more options but that was my start though its changed a bit since.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually DID carry back in the Eighties (and the Sixties). My flavor of choice was a GM 1911 .45ACP Series 70 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special. Never felt exactly "under gunned".

In the Sixties it was a S&W M19 .357 Mag 4". Never felt "under gunned" then either. Was a little on the bulky side though, compared to the 1911.

Regarding philosophy, mine hasn't changed much.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying since the mid 70's...yikes! I carried a model 60 Jackass shoulder holster, which I converted into a vertical. I now have that same holster but had someone install a KYDEX for my Sig 225....and I live in FLA, very comfortable.

I also carried a PPK in a Bianchi Skeleton.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1911 45ACP of course.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried either a nickeled Colt Combat Commander or 4” S&W 65 357mag. Wish I still had them.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post