SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Retired LEO...now what??? What's your retired carry?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retired LEO...now what??? What's your retired carry? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
So today I began my retirement, and realized that my needs have changed somewhat. (Especially here in the People's Republic...). After 3+ decades on the job it feels...odd so I'm not sure exactly what changes, if any I will make.

But before I made any changes, I wanted to ask any of my fellow retired LEO's what they carry now? Or any of you out there with some relevant experience / perspective it would be great!

Posts: 1966 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm not retired...have a long way to go, just wanted to say congrats on your retirement. Enjoy your freedom and live it up...don't let the job suck you back in!

If I was retired, I'd probably be carrying revolvers on a pretty regular basis, and my Beretta 92x Compact for areas where capacity and reloads might be a concern.

Posts: 8595 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You now get to carry the best gun…….. the “whatever the hell you want gun”. Smile

Congrats. Enjoy your retirement.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Retired a year ago and still drag my faithful old gen3 G26 around with me most all the time. Occasionally I’ll carry my P365 but always seem to return to my comfortable old fav.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15601 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats, retirement is WAY better than they let on.

I switched from a P226 to a P365XL, though I still teach with the P226.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I have 112 days till I can retire and need to decide if I want to or not.

Our current chief changed our off duty to policy to carry whatever you want so I will continue to do that. My primary off duty carry these days is the Glock 43X. Winter time, I carry something a little bigger like my 45 which is our new duty gun as well.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8024 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Been retired for 20 years. Carried a 4006 as a duty gun (dept issue) but still carry a 38 Super 1911 "off duty" just like I always did.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My retired EDC varies:
1911 in the form of full-size Ruger or Colt Lightweight Commander XSE in 45ACP.
Ancient non railed P220. CZ P-07. OWB at 3:00 because thats where my duty gun rode and old habits die hard. Good quality 2 slot pancake style holster to pull the gun close to my body to conceal but still provide good retention and full grip if needed. Safe, easy re-holster, too.
For times when deep concealment or off body carry is called for, either a G43 or G26.
Spare mag for whatever gun is carried that day. NexBelt EDC ratcheting gun belt. Pocket carry a Streamlight Wedge, a Leatherman Wingman and tactical folder. No WML or optic on EDC gun but an optic gun may be coming soon after training more with an optic. And if my eyesight keeps declining.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am retired from full time after 30 years, I carry a Glock 19 most of the time. I carry a Sig 365 in the warmer months. Recently I purchased a Sig P365 Macro X to try out YMMV

Posts: 442 | Location: people republic of Crapachusettes | Registered: September 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
You now get to carry the best gun…….. the “whatever the hell you want gun”. Smile

Congrats. Enjoy your retirement.

I agree with cslinger, I think you deserve the best carry gun you can find and want... and thank you for your service.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Retired for going on 4 years now after 36 years. I carry appendix. Either a P239 in 9mm or another in 357 SIG. Both in DAK. Or a Ruger SP101 loaded with 158 GR Hardcast if I’m out exploring in the desert.

There’s also a lightweight P232 that has found it’s way into my rotation around town. Where my threat level is very low.

A dear friend of mine is a retired LAPD Commander. We talk about how much fun it was. He told me something very important.

“Don’t fret that it’s over. Be happy that it happened.”

Posts: 882 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just retired also. G43X or J-frame are my usual EDC.

DPR

Posts: 657 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last duty weapon was P226 9mm. Not a huge 9mm fan, but I succumbed to it when I realized it enabled me to carry 61 rounds on my person--since that's less of a concern now, I typically carry P229 357sig. Congrats on your retirement.

Posts: 447 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your retirement. Been retired since 2020.
2nd gen Glock 19, 5th gen 19 with grip chop for summertime and once in a while, a P229 in 357 Sig.
I always carry at least one spare magazine and I carry iwb exclusively.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G43 with ghost +2 mag extensions, in iwb kydex.

Posts: 3598 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your retirement. Now treat yourself to a new gun (at least one). Retired in 2017 and carry either a Sig 365X or pocket carry a Sig P365 MS.

Posts: 13 | Registered: September 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations - I've been retired 30 years and eventually became a SIG carrier - 229's and 239's. I recently went to a 365XL which has become my daily carry in an IWB rig. Enjoy retirement.

Posts: 90 | Location: Fredericksburg, VA | Registered: March 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Bcj, a question: What did you carry off duty? If it wasn't your uniform duty gun, I'd start there.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your retirement! I hope you'll enjoy it for many years and get out of the PRC (Peoples Republic of Californiastan) sooner than I did! This June, I'll have been retired for 15 years, but only left Cali in 2018.

When I retired, I was carrying a Nighthawk Custom "GRP II" (Commander length bbl) .45 ACP as a primary duty weapon, a S&W Model 340 .38 as my backup, and a variety of different pistols off duty (usually my Nighthawk though). Nowadays, I'm usually carrying my Sig P365 with a Holosun optic, my Glock 43X, or a pocket .380 ACP such as my LCP Max or Seecamp LWS380.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10205 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
I just retired 11/1 after 26 years.. I got some presents for myself. I rotate between a custom 642 revolver, a P365 and a soon to receive custom .45 Nighthawk Commander. Congrats on the retirement.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post