SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    LAPD’s new duty gun…an FN??!!??
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LAPD’s new duty gun…an FN??!!?? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
LAPD’s new duty gun…whoda thunk it…

LAPD selects FN as new duty pistol

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It's complicated and has nothing in particular to recommend it, sorta like life in LA in general.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Why the abbreviated upper with the fullsize grip?

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of an FN version of Glock's 45 MOS

Posts: 3441 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Usually boils down to cost and FN lowered their price for them

Posts: 493 | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A full-size grip offers the benefit of a larger magazine and, sometimes, better control of the weapon when shooting. The benefit of a shorter slide and consequently a shorter holster is more comfortable and convenient when seated in a chair or vehicle. The drawbacks of a shorter slide and barrel are shorter iron sight radius and loss of a bit of practical accuracy plus loss of projectile power due to lower velocities. On the other hand, according to the Internet experts who opine about the subject, variations in handgun projectile power have no effect on wounding effectiveness (“stopping power”). Sight radius is also immaterial if an optical sight is used.

All that is of course just speculation on my part, but could be an explanation for a full grip and shorter barrel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Is the 509 going to be issued at the Academy to new Officers in place of the m&p guns?

Will the alternate handgun list still be available to those who do not want to use a 509? I thought that the STI Stacatto P was the hot ticket with LAPD Officers. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 509 is a very good pistol in my opinion. I am a Glock fan, but aftermarket accessories aside, the 509 is every bit as good. Accurate and reliable, and the trigger smooths out after 1000 rounds or so. I think they made a pretty good choice.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kinda surprised that Glock, who is famous for undercutting their prices to get big contracts, did not get this.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Full size grip is a big plus when drawing from a level 3 duty holster, especially with an external carrier or while wearing a jacket/rain coat. The shorter barrel digs in less to the seat belt hookup.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Looks like the version of the 509 they are getting is only available to LE agencies. Not to the masses, unfortunately.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10round:
Full size grip is a big plus when drawing from a level 3 duty holster, especially with an external carrier or while wearing a jacket/rain coat. The shorter barrel digs in less to the seat belt hookup.
Sounds like the voice of experience. Thanks for that. Smile

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The benefit of a shorter slide and consequently a shorter holster is more comfortable and convenient when seated in a chair or vehicle.

quote:
The shorter barrel digs in less to the seat belt hookup.

A potential benefit that is then totally eliminated when you slap a full-sized duty-style WML on it.

A gun with a full sized slide and WML and a gun with a compact slide and WML are the same overall length to the front of the WML.

For example, the duty holsters for a G17 with WML and a G19/G45 with WML are exactly the same, just with a muzzle spacer block inside holsters for the guns with shorter slides. So no benefit in holster length or sitting comfort from going with the abbreviated slides there.

If they went with it for that reason, I hope then plan to invest in smaller weaponlights that won't protrude past the front of the compact slide (such as the TLR-7A) and purpose-made compact holsters too.

Also, regarding duty holsters digging into the seat belt hookups... If you're running into that problem, seat belt extenders are your friend. It's an easy way to eliminate one little frustration in your life. (Just make sure it's within policy.) With the extender, the holster hits the inner flat side of the extender as you're sitting, then slides down the inner surface with no hangup.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
I thought that the STI Stacatto P was the hot ticket with LAPD Officers. Regards 18DAI

If anything that would be LAPD's Special Investigative Service, but I thought they were carrying Kimber 1911s?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
No. S.I.S. dumped the Kimbers sometime ago. Not too long after they got them. The Kimber unreliability ended their use.

Last I heard, S.I.S. was using G21 and G30S. With 1911s available to those who wanted them and completed the school. The Stacatto P was available to those in Patrol, or any other unit, who completed the school. My few friends out there who have not retired yet report that the STI 2011 was in all the "cool kids" holsters. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
A potential benefit that is then totally eliminated when you slap a full-sized duty-style WML on it.

First thing I thought of. I kinda doubt many would want a tlr7 or xc1 for duty use.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Exactly. That is an issue when we recently went to the G45. I opted to go with a TLR-7. I like the light as I find it bright enough but not too bright.

Also, I have a safariland rds holster and find it frustrating about the holster being the same length as the longest light. Complete bullshit.

I use a seatbelt extender. Any auto manufacturer should offer it free upon request. Makes my life much easier in an already cramped squad car cabin.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The benefit of a shorter slide and consequently a shorter holster is more comfortable and convenient when seated in a chair or vehicle.

quote:
The shorter barrel digs in less to the seat belt hookup.

A gun with a full sized slide and WML and a gun with a compact slide and WML are the same overall length to the front of the WML.

For example, the duty holsters for a G17 with WML and a G19/G45 with WML are exactly the same, just with a muzzle spacer block inside holsters for the guns with shorter slides. So no benefit in holster length or sitting comfort from going with the abbreviated slides there.

If they went with it for that reason, I hope then plan to invest in smaller weaponlights that won't protrude past the front of the compact slide (such as the TLR-7A) and purpose-made compact holsters too.

Also, regarding duty holsters digging into the seat belt hookups... If you're running into that problem, seat belt extenders are your friend. It's an easy way to eliminate one little frustration in your life. (Just make sure it's within policy.) With the extender, the holster hits the inner flat side of the extender as you're sitting, then slides down the inner surface with no hangup.

Posts: 3441 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by longjohn:
...and the trigger smooths out after 1000 rounds or so.

So theoretically, long after they're retired. Big Grin

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post