SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    LAPD’s new duty gun…an FN??!!??
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LAPD’s new duty gun…an FN??!!?? Login/Join 
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised Para hasn't taken a dig yet at FN for their gummy bear consistency handgun frames.

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm on my phone and do not feel like doing a bunch of copy and pasting to multi-quote...

1) Rogue JSK is on the money as far as an X300 or TLR-1 WML negating the short slide benefit. The lenses also tend to get scorched on barrels that are shorter than the light. Much less of an issue on my G34/X300U. Those reasons are why I went with the 34.

2) LAPD issues a gun to new hires. After that, they're generally on their own. They aren't buying 11,000 of these things to transition the whole PD to, they're buying a few hundred a year to cover academy classes. I know there were comments about how much shooting cops do. They (LAPD) qualify quarterly and there is extra pay available for shooting proficiency and the ability to shoot monthly. They are a highly liability-aware department.

3) The biggest plus to the FN509 is that the factory modular optics plate system doesn't suck. Glock's plates are awful, forcing you to either deal with it or buy an aftermarket plate. FN involved the right people in the development process here. Optics are the way forward and it is shrewd of LAPD to find the most user-friendly and reliable optic system.

4) For those curious, Safariland DOES now offer shortened duty holsters for guns like the Glock 19 or 45 with the short lights (TLR-7 family and XC1). I've got one and they're a dream for sitting in the car. The fit code for G19 with optic and TLR-7A is 28327. If anybody would like to see pics, email me and I'll send one. I have the 19 set up as an alternate duty gun.

5) The 2011s have made big in-roads to LAPD starting with the metropolitan division units. There are actually two LAPD metro specific variants. Metro includes SWAT, K9 mounted, and the citywide tactical response teams (crime suppression units). This is the varsity of their department. SWAT guys are largely going to Staccato with RMRs, Surefire X400s, and using Blackhawk T-series holsters. Our department tactical teams contracts a company of current and former LAPD SWAT guys for annual trainings and this was a big topic this year when they came to town.

Posts: 5141 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The drawbacks of a shorter slide and barrel are shorter iron sight radius and loss of a bit of practical accuracy plus loss of projectile power due to lower velocities.

Shorter barrels are not necessarily less accurate. other factors are involved.

For me, I always go with the longest barrel practical since the power/velocity improvement with a longer barrel is worth the inconvenience of a longer barrel, at least for me.

Plus for most guns I've shot, the balance of a longer slide/barrel makes follow up shots easier. YMMV.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
loss of a bit of practical accuracy ....[emphasis added]

Shorter barrels are not necessarily less accurate.

Shorter barrels are not necessarily less accurate, but a shorter sight radius due to the sights being mounted on a shorter slide can reduce the practical accuracy the shooter is capable of. That’s because any point of impact variation due to misalignment of the sights is greater with the shorter sight radius.

A few target pistols over the years have been offered with front sights that could be pulled forward of the slide to increase the effective radius for that very reason (see below). In the days when “target” rifles were shot exclusively with iron sights, they often had long barrels partly for that reason as well.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
Is the 509 going to be issued at the Academy to new Officers in place of the m&p guns?

Will the alternate handgun list still be available to those who do not want to use a 509? I thought that the STI Stacatto P was the hot ticket with LAPD Officers. Regards 18DAI

I can see the new recruits being issued the FN's. However, the older officers can still carry what they were issued, unless they want to switch over to the FN.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8313 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by longjohn:
...and the trigger smooths out after 1000 rounds or so.

So theoretically, long after they're retired. Big Grin

Big Grin You're on a roll today.

For some reason, i'm reminded of the "Optics vs Iron Sights on Defensive Pistols" thread.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it. Good choice, LAPD.

Posts: 1250 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I got one from a fellow member on a different forum who was needing money and then discovered two thing... first they are made here in S.C. and two it is probably the most accurate pistol I own... the damn thing is amazing... the one thing I don't like about it is it has a safety on it.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I like the gun. I just don’t care for the price of magazines.

Posts: 13789 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Las Vegas Metro has a Shot Show day on Monday of Shot Show for vendors of LEO equipment. I shot the FN 2 year at the show, I thought the stippling was very sharp trigger was acceptable hit what I was aiming at.

Posts: 134 | Location: HENDERSON, NEVADA | Registered: December 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're okay. I understand the interest in the 509 but honestly I like my FNS-9--the 509's predecessor--a lot already. There wasn't much wrong with the FNS to begin with but FN somehow felt that a restart was the best way to build a striker following, basically leaving the FNS to die on the vine since there's little compatibility between the two.

-MG

Posts: 1921 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
I'm surprised Para hasn't taken a dig yet at FN for their gummy bear consistency handgun frames.
Old jokes get retired, at least that's the way it should be.

Except for Uranus jokes. The possibilities are endless Razz

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
I like it. Good choice, LAPD.

They are nice.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had shot every modern striker fired pistol I could find (couldn’t get a 2.0, P10C, or APX) and did a little write up of my thoughts. At the time it was the FNS, but I liked it enough to jump on a 509 when they were $350.

In general, the VP9 feels better in the hand, the PPQ has a better trigger, the P320 is just better all around, but there was still something fun about shooting the FNS/509. It does have awesome grip, even if a little small for my tastes.

So I won’t bash the decision (I really don’t care who uses what anyway), as I do rather like the pistol, but I have to say I was surprised that a major PD adopted it.

Cuz pics are fun:
How I did with the FNS

And just my 509:

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1858 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
At the time it was the FNS, but I liked it enough to jump on a 509 when they were $350.

When were 509s $350?

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
When were 509s $350?
When you could squeeze the frame like Gummy Bears. Wink

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had shot every modern striker fired pistol I could find (couldn’t get a 2.0, P10C, or APX) and did a little write up of my thoughts. At the time it was the FNS, but I liked it enough to jump on a 509 when they were $350.

In general, the VP9 feels better in the hand, the PPQ has a better trigger, the P320 is just better all around, but there was still something fun about shooting the FNS/509. It does have awesome grip, even if a little small for my tastes.

So I won’t bash the decision (I really don’t care who uses what anyway), as I do rather like the pistol, but I have to say I was surprised that a major PD adopted it.

I don't want to derail here, but I'd be curious to read those thoughts in depth if you have a link to them.

Posts: 1250 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
At the time it was the FNS, but I liked it enough to jump on a 509 when they were $350.

When were 509s $350?

Ordered 12/11/2019:

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
quote:

I don't want to derail here, but I'd be curious to read those thoughts in depth if you have a link to them.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/6070063024

I have another I had done, but I might have to pm you that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
A full-size grip offers the benefit of a larger magazine and, sometimes, better control of the weapon when shooting. The benefit of a shorter slide and consequently a shorter holster is more comfortable and convenient when seated in a chair or vehicle. The drawbacks of a shorter slide and barrel are shorter iron sight radius and loss of a bit of practical accuracy plus loss of projectile power due to lower velocities. On the other hand, according to the Internet experts who opine about the subject, variations in handgun projectile power have no effect on wounding effectiveness (“stopping power”). Sight radius is also immaterial if an optical sight is used.

All that is of course just speculation on my part, but could be an explanation for a full grip and shorter barrel.

And to clear that leather with lightnin' speed.
Wink

Posts: 399 | Location: Hartford, CT | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post