SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG FORUM LEO's, opinions on glass breaker please
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG FORUM LEO's, opinions on glass breaker please Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My EDC glass breaker:

Posts: 48 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
I would not use one of those.

I carry an ASP expanding baton in my cruiser for glass breaking etc.

The EDC knife I wear, a Kershaw Blur, has a glass breaker on the handle by the pocket clip.

Posts: 1629 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Nothing like that on a weapon.

Also I work in the ghetto. In 23 years I have had to break one car window.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8164 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If you are absolutely determined to use a gun to break glass, why not just shoot it? Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31419 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
No heckin way. This is an incredibly stupid idea.

A glass breaking punch with a carbide tip is useful in a non-tactical situation.

Glass breaking tools (such as a Shield Spike) are useful in conjunction with a ballistic shields for a vehicle approach and extraction.

Ideally, using a kinetic impact glass breaking round (Pepperball, FN303, 37/40mm, etc) at distance is ideal.

Using the butt of a pistol is the last thing you want an officer using to break auto glass for a myriad of reasons.

This. These are neat gadgets that were invented by someone who has zero experience in vehicle assaults and extractions. The theory sounds great, but in practice it would be a dumpster fire.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2132 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/01-100-...a-296745984699&psc=1

Resqme emergency tool

This little guy is a much safer choice and fits easily on a key ring. Shattered a truck window with ease for a driver with a medical issue (no firearm needed). Bonus seatbelt cutter.

Posts: 5465 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got 34 stitches in my hand from using something similar to break a car window during a stop. No damn way. Bedsides that it’s not going to be good for your gun, would prolly damage the mag release and or mag.

Posts: 3391 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
I got 34 stitches in my hand from using something similar to break a car window during a stop. No damn way. Bedsides that it’s not going to be good for your gun, would prolly damage the mag release and or mag.

How many times did you have to hit the window before it finally broke?

I can the pistol ending up on the floor board of a car when the window breaks.

Posts: 5465 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by 10round:
No No No No No!

But also, no.

Hold on, let me think....
Yeah, NO!

https://shop.advanceautoparts....a2540e3&gclsrc=3p.ds

Less than $20 and the size of a pen.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8536 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Not ever. I would never use my sidearm as a hammer.

As an aside, I personally know a guy that broke glass back in the mid 90's with his P7 to get at a suspect with dope that wouldn't unlock the door while his partner covered the perp. Guess where his pistol ended up? On the passenger seat. That could have gotten really ugly if the guy with the dope wasn't scared shitless.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15801 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Still, though, just think of the righteous pistol whippings you could administer with something like that.

(I didn't want to be just another person telling you 'bad idea', so I tried to find the good in it Razz )

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109086 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
So, after 2 pages, is it still a "no"? Going twice...

Q

Posts: 27551 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
{grumbling} ...make me get off my horse. I tell you what, I'm gonna smack you in your head with my new gadget...

yeah, this is what a 45% off coupon gets you, bucko!

"Is your name Glass? Boom!"

Posts: 109086 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spdski
posted Hide Post
You can get a glass-breaking tip like that on a folding knife... Benchmade Triage, for example.

The need to pop a window is more likely to come up in a non-gun situation anyway, like a pet or kid in vehicle on a hot day.

I've had some people tempt me to try it on their phone screen too.

quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:
I'd hate to do a tap/rack or emergency reload with one of these attached to a mag.

I felt this comment as I read it. Yikes!

Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: spdski,

Posts: 1273 | Location: Waxahachie, TX | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
Uh, no. Good way to introduce yourself to an ND.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Nothing like making a bad situation worse ...

I keep one of these in the driver's side door pocket of my car:

It's a Boker Magnum emergency knife. It has a glass breaker and a seatbelt cutter, both handy tools if I ever have to get out of my car in an emergency, which is something I've done once and hope to never have to do again.

Posts: 849 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was an LEO, for 33+ years. I broke glass twice with my shotgun, and, once with a Spyderco Assist folding knife, which has a carbide glass breaker. Carrying a Spyderco Assist, or similar knife, with a glass breaker, seems to be a very good idea. (Each incident, with the shotgun, was a critical incident, in which it was justified, and important, that I have, and keep, the shotgun in-hand.)

Using the base plate, of a handgun, as a glass breaker, is, well, to put it kindly, pointing the muzzle in very IRRESPONSIBLE AND UNSAFE directions.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3191 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
So, is this thing right down there with the bayonet mounted magazine?

Posts: 7449 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I got this Gerber pen a few years ago.
Nice and hefty.
Gerber Pen

Posts: 1538 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Using your pistol to break a window is asking for an accidental discharge. Its the wrong tool for the job. When I was on the job, I made sure to carry a pocket knife with a built in carbide glass breaker.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Why not just carry a few broken porcelain chips from a spark-plug? A couple hundred thousand car thieves/burglars can't be all wrong! Wink

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10263 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post