SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG FORUM LEO's, opinions on glass breaker please
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG FORUM LEO's, opinions on glass breaker please Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted
I have bought some things from these guys and all have been top quality. I'm looking at these

Magazine Base Plate Window Breaker

I'm thinking about gifting a couple of these to some LEO friends. Would it be useful if needed? Would you want one? Do you trust the Glock mag to hold up if used?

https://milspin.com/products/m...plate-window-breaker

I have a coupon code for 45% off

Posts: 5325 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not take the route of a magazine base plate breaker and it has nothing to do with the durability of the mag.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was looking at those as well but they don't make one for the P320.

Posts: 24 | Registered: January 04, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
No heckin way. This is an incredibly stupid idea.

A glass breaking punch with a carbide tip is useful in a non-tactical situation.

Glass breaking tools (such as a Shield Spike) are useful in conjunction with a ballistic shields for a vehicle approach and extraction.

Ideally, using a kinetic impact glass breaking round (Pepperball, FN303, 37/40mm, etc) at distance is ideal.

Using the butt of a pistol is the last thing you want an officer using to break auto glass for a myriad of reasons.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pass on that. Damaged gun / Damaged mag / Hand injury. I kept a short crowbar in my war bag. Worked wonders on glass and other stuff too. Cheap, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
I would strongly suggest you avoid this for many, many reasons. You could purchase a compact dedicated glass breaker that can be carried in the uniform shirt or pants.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Uh, no. Good way to introduce yourself to an ND.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No.

I'd hate to do a tap/rack or emergency reload with one of these attached to a mag. Kind of like that company that attached a spike to a 1911 MSH.

In my entire career Ive seldom had to break glass, usually when serving a search warrant. Then you typically have a center punch or better yet a Halligan tool or the like to break and rake.

BUT, I've done business with the company and they are good people. This just isn't one of their better ideas.

At that price point I'd recommend making sure your friends have good tourniquets and the like if you're in the gifting mood. Thanks for looking out for them regardless.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. Bad plan. Trying to use a gun as a hammer, especially under stress, welcomes an ND.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
No heckin way. This is an incredibly stupid idea.

You put it a lot more diplomatically than I would have

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
This magazine glass breaker is a really, really bad idea. If you want a glass breaker, plenty of "pens" out there that work quite well, along with a glass breaking attachment that goes on the handle of an ASP baton (actually makes it semi useful).

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No No No No No!

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good idea on paper...

Consider taking the head rest off of the seat and using the base structure to shatter the window.

Most will have two 5/8 metal rods with radiused tips that work great on tempered glass.

Posts: 9156 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the input fellas, that's what I wanted to hear.

This is for the discerning mall ninja that also sports the Glock Bayonet in a leg holster

Posts: 5325 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10round:
No No No No No!

But also, no.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
No fucking way.

Pulling your gun shouldn’t be because it’s a multi tool.

The one time I had to break a car window I used my Asp baton (collapsed) on the edge of the window and it shattered into a thousand bits.

Just no.

Hell our swat guys had lights on their pistols and it was written into policy that if you had a weapon mounted light you couldn’t use it to search with, it was only to illuminate a target.

Someone waving their pistol all around is nothing but trouble.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A decent glass breaker and seat belt cutter tool is like $10. There is no way you should use anything but that if you are doing it in proximity to the glass.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
A decent glass breaker and seat belt cutter tool is like $10. There is no way you should use anything but that if you are doing it in proximity to the glass.

E.g., the resqme. It weighs next to nothing and is small enough to wear on a keychain.

https://resqme.com/product/resqme/

There are a lot of pocket knives & tools out there w/ glass-breaking carbide tips and belt-cutters on them: Gerber Hinderer Rescue knife, Spyderco Assist, Benchmade Triage, Victorinox Rescue Tool, Gerber Strap Cutter (US military issue), BlackHawk HawkHook...

There are so many better options than a magazine basepad.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uuuuhhhhhh…… no F’ing way. Besides no muzzle control when you use it would probably be hell to pay when the boss sees your cruiser seats shredded by that thing!!

I went to a training class where the company was demonstrating a glass breaker that attached to the end of your AR15 barrel. Looked like a little stubby thick bayonet. I didn’t think that was a good idea but, more control than using the ass end of your pistol.

Posts: 4059 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to all the other reasons already posted to say no, most new cars are now coming with laminated glass on side windows, which won't yield to tools designed to break tempered glass.

Some Car Windows Are Harder to Break in an Emergency, Says AAA

quote:
Here's something you may not know: Every window in your car doesn't necessarily have tempered glass, the kind that turns into a pile of small harmless chunks in case of breakage. Instead, some of your windows, nearly always at the side and occasionally at the rear, may be made of laminated glass.

Why should you care? Mainly because, in the extremely unlikely event of trying to escape a car that's on fire or sinking underwater, those windows could prove unbreakable and could trap you inside.

A new AAA report lists 21 pages' worth of cars and trucks that have laminated side or rear glass that, during the organization's tests, were impenetrable by consumer glass-breaking tools. Some of these vehicles date back to the 1970s, although the majority were built within the past five to 10 years. One in three 2018 models have such glass, AAA claims, which means that if you are trapped in a vehicle and the glass is your only escape route, surviving may depend on knowing exactly which windows are most easily broken.

Not to mention that such impacts on the butt of a magazine can damage the mag catch and the ejector.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post