SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911 Vs 2011. I could use some education.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 Vs 2011. I could use some education. Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

One local agencies went with Staccatos for their admins only... Didn't think it was a good option for general issue, but the brass wanted fancy guns. Roll Eyes

Engraved, gold plated Hi Powers have been on back order forever.

"Bring me the gun of Rambo!"

Posts: 10850 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

One local agencies went with Staccatos for their admins only... Didn't think it was a good option for general issue, but the brass wanted fancy guns. Roll Eyes

Engraved, gold plated Hi Powers have been on back order forever.

"Bring me the gun of Rambo!"

I thought there was a run on third world dictators?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will admit that I REALLY like the 1911 platform.

In 2011, I bought a RIA '2011', but it was a full dust cover single stack 1911 that was marketed for the 100th anniversary.

For the longest time, I thought I 'had to have' a double-stack 1911.

I am in California, so that means it would have to be used.

Recently, I found a couple and gave them a squeeze- and that made it clear to me that I won't be buying a 2011/double-stack 1911.

My fingers are just a tad short for my palm size [gloves always have about 1/8-3/16" of extra length in the fingers], and the 2011/wide body 1911s feel too thick for me.

I actually prefer the Glock G30SF to the wide-body 1911/2011 platform- even though I DRASTICALLY prefer the 1911 platform to the Glock platform.

[that said, a G34 is my home defense firearm. I trust it, it is accurate enough, and I won't be too upset if it is seized by the PD after an incident, and it is damaged or not returned. I wouldn't feel that way about most of my other firearms].

Like the CZ97B, I REALLY wanted to like the wide-body/2011 version of the 1911, but they are all just too large for my hands.

Standard 1911 fits just fine for me [as does BHP].

BTW, as a california resident, 10-rounds is my limit anyway, so I don' feel I am missing out on THAT much.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Hmmm... So my Staccato R isn't a 2011 despite the fact Staccato, who coined the designation, calls it a 2011?

Right. Staccato is several ownership and management changes downstream from the originators and I doubt anybody there had anything to do with the term "2011." They are kind of like Colt who have joined the Internet Era by calling anything without a firing pin obstruction "Series 70."

Posts: 3288 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sandy Strayer and Virgil Tripp are behind the 2011. They're the S and T in STI (the I is "international"). Strayer left the company and formed SVI with Mike Voigt. STI changed hands a couple times and ended up with the current owners in 2017 or 2018 (I think).

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^

After Strayer left, a married couple owned STI until they sold out the employees and then the current owners, Westwind (?) bought it and changed the name to Staccato.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16709 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
OP I have an STI 2011 EDGE in 40 that I use in USPSA. It’s a hand crafted double stack 1911. Love everything about the gun. It’s everything a $2000 gun should be(I bought it when it was around $1200)

But I wouldn’t use it for duty work as the gun is so tight it will lock up if it gets sand in it.

For the gun games it’s the shit. Best single action trigger out of the box I’ve ever felt.

The staccato series is designed for LE and the tolerances are made for that field. I’ve shot one and compared it to my Edge. I’d carry the staccato if I was allowed and was still policing. But we’re I the purchasing guy or guy who decides, I wouldn’t allow them just because of the cost.

A bone stock Glock (any model) will do what needs to be done and will last a decade or more when used by the troops….and I’ve seen some cops mess up a bowling ball.

If you just want one, go to a local IDPA or USPSA match and ask the shooters. They will be happy to let you see the difference. If you were nearby I’d let you shoot it all day.

If I were to rank the 2011 I would say it’s above a Remington,Ruger,Springfield, but maybe just a rung down from a Wilson Combat…I can’t say anything about a Dan Wesson as I’ve never shot one.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
If you just want one, go to a local IDPA or USPSA match and ask the shooters. They will be happy to let you see the difference. If you were nearby I’d let you shoot it all day.
DANGER! DANGER, Will Robinson!

First time I had my Staccato R out I let one of my best friends and another buddy shoot it. I was just interested in getting rounds down the range for break-in and a function check.

When my buddy walked back from the firing line, after his first mag, he said "I can see why you're replacing your G34 with this." (He and I both own G34s and ran them pin shooting.) By his fifth mag he came back, grinning from ear-to-ear, and said "I gotta get me one of these!" And he did.

I can't speak to the new Springfield Prodigy. Nobody can, yet. (They just hit store shelves today.) But a Staccato, or anything higher-end (e.g.: Alchemy) will spoil you for anything less for the rest of your life Wink

You have been warned!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post