SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock - clean and lube or something wrong? Fail to feed.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock - clean and lube or something wrong? Fail to feed. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
There is also the possibility that your grip on the 26 is allowing for a limp-wrist failure.

Start with basic troubleshooting though. Change one thing and see if there is a difference. Repeat. Keep in mind there could be a compound issue, but that’s rare.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Wait - there are different types of followers? I never knew that.

There are 15+ revisions to Glock magazines over the 5 generations, but not all the revisions required modifications to the followers...the Gen1 G17 had two different magazines revisions.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Hard to find but I did find reports indicating that HP with the 2183 follower has been a known problem for awhile.

Still not sure exactly what the solution is since 2183 followers still seem to be sold.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You would be hard-pressed to find a semi-automatic pistol more tolerant of inadequate lubrication than the Glock.

This is what I just told my mayor a few hours ago when he stopped by work to shoot his 43X. He did pretty well for a guy in his 70s. He missed 3 out of 50 shots. He's never taken a Glock apart before so I showed him how to do it and did a quick clean but I told him he shouldn't really worry about cleaning it. I showed him my 43X that I shoot 100 rounds a month through and have not cleaned or lubed it in years. It still works just fine.

Also someone turned in a bunch of the neutered 10 round mags for a Glock 19 and we had so many issues with them that we tossed them in the garbage. Wasn't even worth it to keep them for practice mags.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
How many rounds do you have on that 26? Is it a new issue?

My 26 doesn’t like 115gr much, especially if it’s loaded on the lighter side. When it was new it wouldn’t go through a magazine of 115 fmj without a failure. Heavy springs and short slide travel. Couple hundred rounds of stiff 124 +p later it started feeding everything, but I still need to be aware of my grip when shooting light loads. It’s easier to induce a malfunction than on most of my other pistols. It’s never so much as stuttered with any of my carry loads, just the 115.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. The 26 is not new but the RSA is relatively new. Seems like I replaced it a couple of years ago and haven't really shot much since then. So, the RSA may be a bit strong now - seems like that may be one possibility. The other stronger possibility sounds like the follower is not ideal (2183).

Does anybody know if Gold Dot 124gr is reliable using the 2183 follower in 10 round factory mags?

I'm trying to figure out how many mags and followers I need to change - I have 10 rounders dedicated for defensive / carry use (Gold Dot) and other 10 rounders for range use (whatever rounds I have available; right now, it's the Independence 115gr HP). And still need to figure out what to change them to - the standard cap followers? Is there another alternative? I'm not seeing anything else to specify when ordering online.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:

Does anybody know if Gold Dot 124gr is reliable using the 2183 follower in 10 round factory mags?

I've had issues with the last round nose diving in the feed ramp with HST using 2183 followers. I know it's not Gold Dot, but that's enough for me to not trust them with anything other than ball.

My solution was to convert all my 10 round mags to 9mm6 followers and to use standard capacity mags.

You can buy standard cap mags that are blocked to 10 rounds, but the cheapest option for you is to ditch the 2183 followers all together for 9mm3/9mm6.

Many years ago, Glock were sending 9mm3 followers out for free to replace the 2183 followers if you called them. Maybe give them a call and tell them you have issues with the followers jamming up.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Not to penny pinch but I'd prefer not to buy more mags limited to 10 rounds if I can avoid it.

Just to make sure I'm understanding:
1) replace the 10 round mag follower (2183) with the standard cap followers (9mm3 or 9mm6).
2) the standard cap followers (9mm6) will require some modification to work in the 10 round mag.
3) 9mm3 followers are replacements for the 2183 follower for use in the 10 round mags to fix the HP feed issue - I can't find any place to explicitly order these so need to call the factory.
4) I saw some comment somewhere about a 9mm7 marked mag - these are usable in place of 9mm6 (assuming they exist); or should I avoid those too?

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
You pretty much got it.

The 9mm3 are direct swap while the 9mm 6 requires you to shave off a sliver of plastic off the inner corner of the mag tube. Literally takes 5 seconds with a razor blade.

When you stick a 9mm 6 follower up into the mag tube, you will see exactly where and why.

Not my pic, but shows where to shave it. Again, I used a razor blade and not sanding.

The 9mm7 will be the same as 9mm6. I'm sure I have a mix of both, and never noticed anything different.

Maybe steal one of the followers off your G26 and test it on one of the G19 mags before you proceed further.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Awesome - thanks for the info! The pic is very helpful.

I'll test some more; but if the issue is the follower, I'm gonna need a bunch of them...

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
How many rounds do you have on that 26? Is it a new issue?
My 26 doesn’t like 115gr much, especially if it’s loaded on the lighter side. When it was new it wouldn’t go through a magazine of 115 fmj without a failure. Heavy springs and short slide travel. Couple hundred rounds of stiff 124 +p later it started feeding everything, but I still need to be aware of my grip when shooting light loads. It’s easier to induce a malfunction than on most of my other pistols. It’s never so much as stuttered with any of my carry loads, just the 115.

Interesting. My 2 26s, a gen3 and a gen4 have been fed MOSTLY El Cheapo 115s their whole lives.
Most of it was Blazer aluminum but there has been a BUNCH of Magtech, Federal, Remmy, WWB and Independence.
Neither has ever had a bobble and the RSAs get changed out regularly. Every GSSF shoot I go to I ask for a RSA swap.
The only time they eat anything different is when the Uber rare 124 load is cheaper. They will feed and shoot ANY standard pressure JHP round I’ve ever tested.
They have NEVER puked when using G19 or G17 mags either. A 17 mag is my backup reload.

Edit to add: I recently had a G41 not want to feed all the rounds in a certain mag.
Got home and cleaned out the crud built up for 5-6 years and the next test drive it ran like normal with the same ammo.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay - did some testing. The 26 ran fine with whatever I used, even the rounds that were failing to feed the last time if I used the standard 26 mags (9mm6).

Not as frequently but the 26 would still fail to feed using the failing rounds in multiple mags with 2183-2. Surprising and alarming with Gold Dot as well!!!

The good sign though is that the 26 standard mags worked fine, even w/ the failing rounds.

I'm concluding that the 26 is fine; I'm having a problem with 2183-2 and HP rounds.

Guys - appreciate all the insights and experience. It helped a lot!

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Good deal, glad to hear it's not your gun! So now I'm curious...do the followers from the G26 mags fit in your neutered G19 mags? And if so, will that correct the problem?

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. The followers in my standard 26 mags are the same as in the 19 standard cap mags - "9mm6" - my understanding from above and Nismo's pic is that those, while readily available, require the mags to modified to fit the followers. And may not be a robust solution.

Sounds like, if I'm understanding correctly, a 9mm3 follower fixes the issue and can be used in the limited cap mags w/o modification. Sounds like another option is to use standard cap mags w/ a 10 round limiter.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Makes sense. If you can get one and try swapping one out I'd be interested to hear the results.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
And may not be a robust solution.

Standard caps don't have the extra piece of material there in the first place so it won't be any less robust than that. Only thing changes is if you decide it put the 2183 followers back in.

Here's a pic of one of my 10 rounders with a 9mm6 and the orange one is a standard cap.

The one of the left is a G17 10 rounder with a 9mm3 follower. Notice the extra plastic from the unmodified mag tube compared to the modified 9mm6 mag and the standard cap.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Excellent pics. And I like the orange follower.

Dumb question but I really don't know: when they designed the 10 round mags, why didn't they just use the standard follower? Why use a different follower and a different mag design?

Dumb question #2: do new 10 rounders come with the 9mm3 followers now? Or do they still ship w/ the 2183; if so why? And how do people buy the 9mm3 - all I find are 2183 and 9mm6/7. How does one order 9mm3?

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Honestly I don't know why Glock chose what they went with for 10 rounders. Some speculate that it's to ensure that people can't somehow force or modify them to shove in 11 rounds, so they went with that funky design.

No idea where else to get the 9mm3 followers. I got all of mine from Glock many years ago.
Top Gun lists them discontinued.
Best bet is to call Glock and see if they even still have them. Maybe they have a stash covered in dust in the back corner of a warehouse specifically for Californians who call and request them.

I'm pretty sure Glock still ships out 10 round mags with 2183 followers, though I haven't bought a new Glock in a while, so can't confirm first hand.

posted Hide Post
I have been using 10 round mags with the funk,y ban compliant follower for a long time. When I lived in a ban state I had tons of them. When I moved to a free state, I figured I would send them back to my friends behind enemy lines, but then thought about the fact with the exception of carry ( factory 26 or full cap 19 mags for me in these situations) all my other roles for the 26&19 ( idpa,uspsa,gssf,steel challenge ) limited you to ten rounds anyway, so why not just keep them and use them.
I can see from this example that some guns do have issues with the ban mag followers with certain types of ammo, and it has been documented elsewhere too.

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post