SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock - clean and lube or something wrong? Fail to feed.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock - clean and lube or something wrong? Fail to feed. Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I haven't been shooting much. I went recently and I think it's been about 1 year since I last shot.

I shot a 19 and a 26. I started with the 26. Wasn't happy with the group sizes (5 groups of 10 shots) at 5 yards - roughly 2" groups (for a given 10 shot group, 5 are touching each other, 5 make it out to 2").

Then I shot the 19 - 4 groups of 10 at 5 yards; each group just a 1" hole. I happy with this since it's been a year.

Shots were not rapid fire but wasn't slow fire either. Pulled the trigger when I saw the target in sights. Range enforces a 1 sec cadence and I think I pushed that.

Two issues:
1. I need to practice more with the 26; the 19 felt natural, the 26 was more challenging to make similar groups.

2. This is where I need help. A first for me: using the same 10 round mags for both the 26 and the 19, and the same rounds from the same boxes of ammo (Independence 115gr HP), I was getting multiple fail to feeds with the 26 but no issues with the 19. The HP seemed to get jammed up on bottom of the feed ramp. Sometimes I could just rack the slide; other times I would have to release the mag to clear the round.

I've been carrying the 26 95% of the time; I only occasionally carry the 19. I haven't lubed or cleaned either this year. But neither seemed particularly dirty. I wanted to see if both would function well as-is. Well, the 26 had issues.

Question: any ideas why only the 26 was failing? I did the slide / recoil spring test and the slide closes firmly. So it seems like the recoil spring assembly is okay. I need to go back and look but I think the I even replaced it recently (2-3 years ago and haven't shot much at all; a few hundred rounds?). Could it just be in need of a clean and lube? Or should I be looking at something? Any other thoughts appreciated.

In any case, I cleaned and lubed it. I'll take it out again and see if the failures still happen. It's off carry duty until I build confidence w/ it - both reliability and group size.

I love the 19. I just wish it were easier to carry.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
You are using ten round G19 mags in the G26? Use G26 mags in your G26. Problem solved.

Are these Magpul mags? Magpul had a problem in this exact scenario with G19 mags causing jams in the G26.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
You're putting pinky pressure on the extended mag out the bottom of the 26.
Any mags that extend out the bottom, you have to focus on just the 2 grip fingers.
That's why I like the X-grip sleeve extensions for the 26. Their form and function prevent this by "mating" w/ the back of the grip to prevent overt backwards pressure on the mag.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
You are using ten round G19 mags in the G26? Use G26 mags in your G26. Problem solved.

Are these Magpul mags? Magpul had a problem in this exact scenario with G19 mags causing jams in the G26.

I don't think these are a problem anymore. I believe magpul addressed this w/ Gen5 26's. Unless the Cali 10 rnd mags are dif. problem. The original problem was the Gen5 26 dual slide catch having problems w/ lock back.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
You're putting pinky pressure on the extended mag out the bottom of the 26.
Any mags that extend out the bottom, you have to focus on just the 2 grip fingers.
That's why I like the X-grip sleeve extensions for the 26. Their form and function prevent this by "mating" w/ the back of the grip to prevent overt backwards pressure on the mag.

Makes sense but I don't think I'm doing that; I'm very accustomed to 2 finger grip with the 26 mags and with 19 mags. Been using 19 mags in the 26 for years. That being said - perhaps I've started to do that unconsciously since I haven't been shooting much. I'll pay explicit attention to that next time I go out. It's a possibility.

I don't use the sleeves - each 19 mag is usable for either the 19 or the 26. The only time I use a 26 mag is in the holster; otherwise, I'd be carrying the 19 Smile

If not this, any other ideas? I'm hoping it's just clean and lube but I've got a feeling it's not it. Maybe the mag springs? Maybe getting weak - still fast enough for the 19 but too slow for the 26? But the springs still seem good - still hard to get rounds into the mag.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

Nope - factory Glock mags.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Independence 115gr HP

Me I'd start with some different ammo to see where we are. Independence is price point ammo. Run some higher quality defensive ammo and see if you get the same issues.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I don't use the sleeves - each 19 mag is usable for either the 19 or the 26. The only time I use a 26 mag is in the holster; otherwise, I'd be carrying the 19 Smile

I understand your predicament w/ your location. If you ever move, 15rnds in the G26 w/ the x-grip is a sweet setup. If were stuck w/ 10, I would go w/ the floor plate extension as I prefer all fingers on board.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
Independence 115gr HP

Me I'd start with some different ammo to see where we are. Independence is price point ammo. Run some higher quality defensive ammo and see if you get the same issues.

Thats another thing.
My Gen5 RSA was over sprung and wouldn't feed light powered ammo until after two range visits.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I think about moving every day. Smile

I'll try some different ammo. This ammo is from a case I've been using that is half gone, much of it through the 26 already.

I'll try a mag of Gold Dot. But I use it sparingly since it's hard to come by in this stupid state.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'd shoot it with the G26 mag before you do anything else. If there are no problems, you have your culprit. If that doesn't fix it, I'd look at the ammo. But it really does sound like a magazine problem.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
My 26 does not like lightly loaded(powder puff) 115gr ammo, but I get occasional stovepipes, not FTF. Mine's an early gen 4, I don't know about the other variants but it's a stiffly sprung gun.

Total non-issue with any warmer defensive ammo IME.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You would be hard-pressed to find a semi-automatic pistol more tolerant of inadequate lubrication than the Glock.

As to the rest of it, I wouldn't hazard a guess, but I will say that I find the 10 round Glock magazines designed in the AWB era to be an abomination and an offense to nature.

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I'd shoot it with the G26 mag before you do anything else. If there are no problems, you have your culprit. If that doesn't fix it, I'd look at the ammo. But it really does sound like a magazine problem.

Dooh. I should have thought of that. I'll try that as well. I have an empty mini mag sitting on my desk right now even, looking for something to do.

In all my years w/ the 26, today is the first day I can remember with failure to feeds like this. Nothing new, a day like any other day. Surprised to have a surprise like this.

Para - I agree wholly. All these leftist laws restricting what we can buy or use is an affront to the founding fathers and natural law.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
Independence 115gr HP

I always start with ammo too. Unless there is something that is obvious enough to catch the eye. And FWIW, every ammo manufacturer can have issues.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I don’t disagree. But I have a pragmatic problem with ammo that you guys will laugh at in consternation. I can’t buy ammo without going through an ffl. I can’t order online from preferred dealers - they no longer ship here. So, I only have a reserve of quality HP that I’m preserving greedily. And then I have this plinking level stuff that has been good for 1000s of rounds before. That’s the only two choices I have. I have FMJ stuff but I assume that HP is part of the problem. I can / should try FMJ but I’m guessing that it would be okay.

I checked the RSA. I replaced it a couple of years ago and very few rounds since then. If anything, it may be too strong. It’s another thing I could try I guess, put the old, weaker one back in (if I still have it) and see if the problem goes away. If so, how do I make the new one weaker, and by how much?

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
10-round G19 mags need to have "9mm3" molded into the follower, otherwise they nose-dive rounds into the bottom of the feed ramp. A pointy-nosed FMJ will slip up over it, but the cavity of a HP will get stuck on it. This only happens on the last round, IME. (From my G19 in 1998. Glock sent me new magazines to solve this problem.)

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
9mm6 followers fit in the 10 round body. You need to shave off a little corner of the bag tube.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Wait - there are different types of followers? I never knew that.

What are the different types? What's different between them and how should each be used?

And which one should I be using in mags that are shared between the 19 and the 26? "9mm3"?

ETA: I checked my 19 (2183 2 markings - I believe these are Gen 4 mags w/ the dual mag release). I checked one 26 mag and the top looks different and it's marked 9mm 6). I need to find my other 26 mags. I'm not sure how the differences are meaningful yet; I thought they were all the same and could be used w/ any 9mm mag.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
10-round G19 mags need to have "9mm3" molded into the follower, otherwise they nose-dive rounds into the bottom of the feed ramp. A pointy-nosed FMJ will slip up over it, but the cavity of a HP will get stuck on it. This only happens on the last round, IME. (From my G19 in 1998. Glock sent me new magazines to solve this problem.)

The feed issues I was having were not the last round - multiple rounds per mag. But interesting to know that 10 round and standard capacity mags use different followers?