SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    In today's edition of "You don't want to do that"- Shooting a Derringer in .45-70
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In today's edition of "You don't want to do that"- Shooting a Derringer in .45-70 Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wacopolumbo:
I love it. It’s great to be in America where we can buy crap that makes no sense, just because we can! I have a Heizer in 7.62x39 for the same reason, just because I can. Hooray America!

Good point.

Did I really need to buy a revolver in 45-70 or 460S&W?

Of course not. I traded a Kimber for each one of them instead.

Then had one left over for a Desert Eagle. Big Grin

Posts: 9157 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have shot 45-70 out of a BFR revolver and it really wasn’t all that bad. This is cartoon Joker batshit crazy however. This is my definition of “you go first”.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's an easy no from me but if you want to, be my guest.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
My first thought is Ralphie from "Christmas Story" being wheeled into the ER...

Posts: 4501 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a reloader, I’d be taming loads for such a gun, take it down near 45 Colt ‘cowboy’ levels. As it is, various levels of 45-70 loads are common, from ‘trapdoor’ mild loads to Ruger #1 level loads. The Marlin & Henry lever levels are normal, full power, reasonable loads.

Agreed, and that's what I do with most of my loads as well (I like a 405gr bullet loaded at the low end of the "lever-action" section of the manual). But those Hornady Leverevolution loads those guys were shooting are definitely not that Eek!

Posts: 8575 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Wonder if they will make one with more power like a 600 Nitro Express. Derringers should send out 900gr. loads to have real impact.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1559 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The truly amazing part of the video was the younger guy shooting it a SECOND time with the 45-70.

Reminds me of the Scandium J-frame .357 MAG I shot once. Gun writer friend brought it out for T&E, After TWO full-house .357's, I thanked him and put the gun back on the bench. Eek

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And here I thought the 45-70 Magnum Research BFR was a handful to shoot. I'm not man/masochistic enough for that derringer.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two choices:
I could try shooting this in 45-70, or
Stay in my room and overdose on Exlax.

Either way, the end result would be the same.

Posts: 466 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I bet that other guy's wrist has some micro fracture. Crazy shit Santa Claus, there. Lol.

Q

Posts: 26410 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot 45-70 out of a Winchester 1885 High Wall that weighs 9lb 7oz and it hurts. That little thing is ridiculous

Posts: 1255 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shot a 45-70 revolver...once.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
No thanks. At my age something would break.

Posts: 5697 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Ow…just say no…

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
As a reloader, I’d be taming loads for such a gun, take it down near 45 Colt ‘cowboy’ levels. As it is, various levels of 45-70 loads are common, from ‘trapdoor’ mild loads to Ruger #1 level loads. The Marlin & Henry lever levels are normal, full power, reasonable loads.

Agreed, and that's what I do with most of my loads as well (I like a 405gr bullet loaded at the low end of the "lever-action" section of the manual). But those Hornady Leverevolution loads those guys were shooting are definitely not that Eek!

405 grains is 405 grains, and wee bitty piece of steel with a truncated handle is a wee bitty piece of steel with a truncated handle.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your scientists were so preoccupied with weather they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read a gun magazine probably 20 years ago where the writer went to Manila Philapines to a gunshop and test fired a 12 gauge derringer and broke his wrist.LOL

Posts: 95 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: July 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned several of the AD guns. Still have one in .38 Special, all aluminum.

Huge safety issue. He loaded it and then pulled the hammer to half cock and, engaged then safety.

You put it on half cock, engage safety THEN load it.

They do not have rebounding firing pins. Had he slammed it shut, it likely would have fired.

Posts: 882 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin SBL chambered in 45-70. Shooting 405 grain +P bear loads is memorable. I’ll pass on the derringer.

Posts: 12468 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
No thanks, shot a 405gr lead 45-70 out of a Contender pistol. Did permanent damage to my wrist.

I was 'smithing at a shop in Miami when Thompson introduced the .30-30 barrel for the Contender.
A customer brought his in because it was misfiring on the harder rifle primers. Thompson hadn't come out with the stronger mainspring yet so I modified the OEM part and, of course, had to test fire it.
I was a pretty good hand with my .44 Magnum, but five shots of that .30-30 were more than enough for me.

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post