SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    In today's edition of "You don't want to do that"- Shooting a Derringer in .45-70
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In today's edition of "You don't want to do that"- Shooting a Derringer in .45-70 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
No thanks. Full power 357s in the 14 oz S&W M&P 340 is plenty for these old mitts.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
Had a customer all excited to show me his derringer in 50AE! He shot 4 rounds, said it hurt and then left. Or tried to, he could not get his had to work to turn the key in the car door. Took a good hour for his hand to calm down

Posts: 782 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
I wonder if that guy would have the balls to shoot a 500gr 45-70 load in that toy gun?

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Nah. Doesn't take balls...takes a lobotomy and a bottle of Jack Daniels. Razz

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
If someone got that as a backup/oh shit gun and shot it a few times then actually needed it, I wonder if they would entertain the idea of becoming bear shit the hard way or shoot it one more time?

If you ever needed to induce a flinch, that would do it.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I was walking through the woods one day about 20+ years ago holding a .45-70 in my right hand, stupidly pulling the hammer back and easing it forward with the trigger.

Hammer slipped from my thumb. Didn’t hurt so much as scared the shit out of me.

Now, shooting a 3” magnum shell out of a hard plastic pistol grip 870, THAT hurt for two weeks.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
If someone got that as a backup/oh shit gun and shot it a few times then actually needed it, I wonder if they would entertain the idea of becoming bear shit the hard way or shoot it one more time?

If you ever needed to induce a flinch, that would do it.

I found it much more enjoyable with a S&W M57 4" .41 Mag with 210 JSP. Actually enjoyed shooting it as well. Big Grin

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a Golden Bison Bull (think Century Arms) that shoots 400gr 45/70 buulets like a .38. I’ve also got one of those Freedom Arms mini .22’s. While shooting that, I put my middle finger on the grip, index on trigger, and thumb up the back of the frame below hammer. That stupid little thing came back and caught my thumbnail….put a split right up my nail. I’d rather shoot my .44 bulldog with max loads. Point being… F=MA. I’m sure we’ve all seen the video of the guy shooting a 600nitro single shot… why?…

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would try it once.

I can't imagine that having much muzzle velocity given the extremely short barrel.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post