SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    In today's edition of "You don't want to do that"- Shooting a Derringer in .45-70
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In today's edition of "You don't want to do that"- Shooting a Derringer in .45-70 Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine anyone thinking that was a good idea.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh hot damn…
I’d like to know what kind of velocity that even offers …
Like does it even “do anything” other than boom and bruise?

Posts: 198 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
They did it because they could and I have no doubt, these will sell. If you had a rifle chambered in .45-70, this thing might make a passable kit gun for the bush.

posted Hide Post
Geez, I don't want to shoot that. I'm sure it wouldn't be that bad in a situation you needed it but in a casual range situation...that's punishment.

Posts: 341 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Well, it is primarily a 45 colt gun, but I sneak one of these '70s in just for fun. Wink

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Solution to a non existent problem

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
No thanks.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A .45-70 derringer is a stupid concept.

And as the saying goes: "stupid should hurt".

So at least that tracks.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
No thanks, shot a 405gr lead 45-70 out of a Contender pistol. Did permanent damage to my wrist.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Nope. And hell nope.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its more effective than you think! Should you miss your intended target, the concussion and muzzle blast should do the job nicely.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Wonder what velocity it gets. Is it actually more powerful than a hot .45 colt from that barrel length?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
.444 Marlin would still be outrageous, but probably easier to shoot.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you had a rifle chambered in .45-70, this thing might make a passable kit gun for the bush.

I do, but still...no thanks! I've shot those Hornady FTX rounds that they were shooting through my 1895 guide gun, and couldn't make it through a full box in one session...I can't imagine shooting them from a derringer! Eek

I will say, that thing does look well finished.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I knew a guy with one and he said "It's not as bad as you'd think."

What he REALLY meant was, it was awful. BUT, since there's no barrel, it doesn't recoil as bad as it theoretically could, for example like it would if it had a longer barrel. But yes, awful. I had no desire to try it.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's cool looking, neat on-paper, but no thank you.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed. No, thank you.

Posts: 383 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I did own a 357 derringer years ago, of course 38 spcl was enough. I ended up trading it off.

As a reloader, I’d be taming loads for such a gun, take it down near 45 Colt ‘cowboy’ levels. As it is, various levels of 45-70 loads are common, from ‘trapdoor’ mild loads to Ruger #1 level loads. The Marlin & Henry lever levels are normal, full power, reasonable loads.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
I love it. It’s great to be in America where we can buy crap that makes no sense, just because we can! I have a Heizer in 7.62x39 for the same reason, just because I can. Hooray America!

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post