SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP))
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 24
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP)) Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Just updated the original post to include the desert camo model. Totally forgot about it. It's one of the GOTMs.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twistedstang
posted Hide Post
This thread is not helping my "must have" list.

Posts: 108 | Location: Port Huron MI | Registered: March 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Twistedstang:

Sure it is, we've gotten it all neatly organized for you!

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
German SIG P228 for sale 900$....in Poland.
https://plus.google.com/photos...d=%2BPawe%C5%82Lange

I found another german one dated 1995 in very good condition for 600$ (location Poland).

Posts: 5 | Registered: September 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:
quote:
Originally posted by Twistedstang:

Sure it is, we've gotten it all neatly organized for you!

Big Grin

And, more updates: mags and boxes. Cool

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JamesD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Swpre18:
Ahhh! The one 228 you got with the army CID engraving, is that truly issued from CID? Or was the engraving done by owner or others?

Previous owner is CID agent, and had the P228R (his personal gun) engraved with the CID agent badge as a graduation gift to himself. The P228R is not military issued. The non-rail M11 is what CID agents carry.
No matter, I love this P228R. It's basically one of a kind P228. Cool

quote:
Originally posted by HawkeyeJohn:
Thanks 12131! Just acquired a 'KB' 2-Tone 228 last September. Love it! Black controls except for the nickel plated hex screws. Not sure if it's factory finish but it has the characteristic long discoloration/stain on the lower edge of the right side of the slide that I see on most of my German made SIGs. (2-3" long 1/8" wide) What is that anyway? I'll try to post some pix in the next day or two...

+1 for the sticky thing.

That "discoloration/stain" is actually normal on these SIGs, whether nickel or blued. On some guns, they are prominent. On others, they are subtle, but they are there. Btw, the "stain" is also on the left side of the slide, right above the slide catch notch.

Great OP Q.

Lissen, I'm just an old pilgrim, tryin' to figure stuff out as he goes along... this "stain" y'all are talkin' about... the areas where they heat treated the slide?

James

Let us to't pell-mell.
If not to heaven, then hand in hand to hell.

- Richard III Act V, Scene III

Posts: 494 | Location: Georgia [up in the mountains] | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jim. That would be my understanding. Cool

Q

posted Hide Post
12131 is going to make me buy more 228's. Thanks for sharing this info. I thought 3 was enough. Next goal is a P228R.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HawkeyeJohn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JamesD:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Swpre18:
Ahhh! The one 228 you got with the army CID engraving, is that truly issued from CID? Or was the engraving done by owner or others?

Previous owner is CID agent, and had the P228R (his personal gun) engraved with the CID agent badge as a graduation gift to himself. The P228R is not military issued. The non-rail M11 is what CID agents carry.
No matter, I love this P228R. It's basically one of a kind P228. Cool

quote:
Thanks 12131! Just acquired a 'KB' 2-Tone 228 last September. Love it! Black controls except for the nickel plated hex screws. Not sure if it's factory finish but it has the characteristic long discoloration/stain on the lower edge of the right side of the slide that I see on most of my German made SIGs. (2-3" long 1/8" wide) What is that anyway? I'll try to post some pix in the next day or two...

+1 for the sticky thing.

That "discoloration/stain" is actually normal on these SIGs, whether nickel or blued. On some guns, they are prominent. On others, they are subtle, but they are there. Btw, the "stain" is also on the left side of the slide, right above the slide catch notch.

Great OP Q.

Lissen, I'm just an old pilgrim, tryin' to figure stuff out as he goes along... this "stain" y'all are talkin' about... the areas where they heat treated the slide?

James

Thanks pilgrim! I'd love to see a 'start to finish' video of the manufacturing process (and how that discoloration occurs).

Posts: 383 | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make this sticky please!! Thanks 12131.

Posts: 471 | Registered: September 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sarge1998
posted Hide Post
An outstanding post on the venerable P228, if I can make a contribution it is this dovetail magazine that was included with my 1995 police purchase.

UPDATE

I am currently carrying my P228 with a short trigger, SRT and a (15) round P226 magazine left over from my MK25, an Xgrip adaptor eliminates the gap. I have all the original parts and can restore it to as purchased condition, I made the change for my niece who will inherit the 228 when I can no longer use it. It does show holster wear and I've changed the night sights about four years ago along with a recoil spring or two. I've run whatever brand range ammo as well as duty ammo my department authorized, I also use several different manufacturers and HP or FMJ with no problems when I go to the range in retirement.

I notice the target is different from your 1995, did you do any research on factory target tests?

My bill of sale from Shore Galleries in Lincolnwood, IL. Notice the price in 1995, I honestly didn't know what my police discount did as I can't recall the MSRP.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sarge1998,

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Posts: 440 | Location: Illinois | Registered: May 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sarge1998:
An outstanding post on the venerable P228, if I can make a contribution it is this dovetail magazine that was included with my 1995 police purchase.

Sarge, thanks. Please, might as well post your W. German 1995 (KF) P228. You've posted it, before. Wink

Q

Picture of Sarge1998
posted Hide Post
12131 see previous post for update.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Posts: 440 | Location: Illinois | Registered: May 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I notice the target is different from your 1995, did you do any research on factory target tests?

Thanks for posting your gun. And, interesting about the test targets that you mentioned. So, I went back and checked my other P228s. I appears that your target is the old style, and mine is the newer style. Some overlapping, but it looks like they changed style around the mid-90s.

Q

Picture of HawkeyeJohn
posted Hide Post
Here's a photo of my KB P228. Did all the factory nickel plated 228s have the controls plated too?
Not as nice as the one in the next post but in very good shape little apparent wear... and what a sweet trigger! It's become my EDC.

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Here's my Made In Germany KG nickel two-tone P228 w/ factory nickel controls, my first SIG pistol. Mine came with 10 round Made In Germany mags (10 round limiters show May 95 manufacture date) as it was bought after the AWB in 1996. I also have original SIG 13 round magazines from that time period (zipperbacks). It has been only lightly and carefully used over the years and the frame rails and barrel show virtually none to very light wear / smileys.

One of the reasons I recently ordered a new P229-1 Extreme that I found at a price and circumstance I could not pass up was that I miss shooting my P228. I have shot my P228 from time to time, but I have even gone a couple of years or more at a time without shooting it at all to try and preserve its condition. I considered the M11 but the P229 Extreme has some features I like just a little better. By getting the P229-1, I can have the most similar pistol I possibly can at the moment to shoot more often. I had bought an original style P229 9mm a few years ago but I found that I did not like the small slide serrations and the contour of the slide on the P229 as compared to the P228 so I sold it. Now, with the P229-1 Extreme the slide has the contour and serrations like the P228 which was a major factor in my ordering it. Looking forward to receiving it so I can do a side by side comparison.

Without further ado my P228 and test target. Cool

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did all the factory nickel plated 228s have the controls plated too?

John, see OP. Wink

Q

Picture of HawkeyeJohn
posted Hide Post
Thanks 12131, I remember reading that now that you mention it.

Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
quote:
My bill of sale from Shore Galleries in Lincolnwood, IL. Notice the price in 1995, I honestly didn't know what my police discount did as I can't recall the MSRP.

I see we bought our P228s from the same place...I got mine through Harvey and Mitch at Shore Galleries albeit in 1990...mine was $540 plus tax back then...

Bill

Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer*P220*P226*P228*P230*P245*SPC2009*P365

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership

Posts: 2410 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HawkeyeJohn
posted Hide Post
Bump. +1 for the sticky. Could be a series - P225, P226, etc.