SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP))
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 24
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP)) Login/Join 
Picture of jamaicanj
posted Hide Post
Great post. Thanks a million for putting together all of this info...much appreciated.

Just when I was thinking of parting with my SAS 228, I come across this post and now want to rethink my decision.

Thanks again for the wealth of information

Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!
Glock Cert. Armorer & GSSF Member

Posts: 707 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
And, thanks to member EasyFire scouring the local pawn shop Big Grin, I just revised the original post with 1997 (KH) as the last year with a known factory nickel P228. Cool

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome thread, thanks for all the info.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
The Old Man of the Forest knows of that which he speaks.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12131: Are the barrels of your nickel P228s also nickel or are they regular blued?

Thanks

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfan Roy:
12131: Are the barrels of your nickel P228s also nickel or are they regular blued?

Thanks

All the factory ones that I have, and ones that I've seen, are blued.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jeepers creepers, that sure is purdy Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats what it looked like in your pictures. The one's I'm seeing have nickel barrels and so I'm wondering if they are aftermarket platings.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfan Roy:
Thats what it looked like in your pictures. The one's I'm seeing have nickel barrels and so I'm wondering if they are aftermarket platings.

Some early factory nickel P226s had the barrel and breech block plated, also. But, I have never seen a factory nickel P228 as such. Doesn't mean that's not possible. It's just that I haven't seen one.

ETA: If you're talking about the one on GB right now, it's aftermarket.

Q

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Must not stare at this too long

Two years ago I had the chance to buy a 22 revolver for $495.

I procrastinated long enough for it to be worth $750.

Now they bring about $3,000.

I wish my 401k would grow like that...

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
Holy cow, brother, that was one epically well organized post. Well done! I've never owned a P228, always like the electroless nickel look, but didn't know they didn't come out til '90 - I thought they came out around '88 or so, thanks for the correction.

I'm guessing when the military replaces the M11 and it hits the secondary market, your collection, and that post, might get an update? LOL!

Thanks again for such a complete breakdown...

Posts: 807 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I want to get some stuff for my old P228, and it's been a while since I've paid it much attention so I'm maybe out of touch a bit. I have one 15rd Mecgar magazine with the low profile plastic baseplate for it. Is there a better alternative? I'd like a few more, who's the best source lately? also, I'd like two holsters - an IWB and an OWB, ideally with adjustable cant. suggestions?

(if you'd rather I post a separate thread I will, but this seemed a better place.)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I want to get some stuff for my old P228, and it's been a while since I've paid it much attention so I'm maybe out of touch a bit. I have one 15rd Mecgar magazine with the low profile plastic baseplate for it. Is there a better alternative? I'd like a few more, who's the best source lately? also, I'd like two holsters - an IWB and an OWB, ideally with adjustable cant. suggestions?

(if you'd rather I post a separate thread I will, but this seemed a better place.)

Mec-Gar is still your best choice, in my opinion, and Greg Cote is probably your best source.

(Hey, it's a way to keep this thread at the top and keep it from being "archived" into oblivion.)

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Mec-Gar is still your best choice, in my opinion, and Greg Cote is probably your best source.

(Hey, it's a way to keep this thread at the top and keep it from being "archived" into oblivion.)

Yep, Mec-Gar and Greg Cote is the way to go. Cool

Q

Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
Awesome write-up on the P228 so a big thank you for the article.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

I agree with your sentiment (as mentioned in other threads) that your palindrome B152251 factory Nickel P228 is ultra cool -- as if to say all serial numbers are NOT created equal!

Anyway, my question is regarding your factory two-tone 'KF' P228 with serial number B237959 (shown right after Sarge1998's pistol). Does the "TSS" stamp on the outer cardboard sleeve refer to it as having a Two-tone Stainless Steel finish?

MudPhud

Posts: 41 | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MudPhud:

I agree with your sentiment (as mentioned in other threads) that your palindrome B152251 factory Nickel P228 is ultra cool -- as if to say all serial numbers are NOT created equal!

Anyway, my question is regarding your factory two-tone 'KF' P228 with serial number B237959 (shown right after Sarge1998's pistol). Does the "TSS" stamp on the outer cardboard sleeve refer to it as having a Two-tone Stainless Steel finish?

T = Two tone (The slide finish is nickel, not stainless.)
SS = SIGLITE Sights

The only one P228 with the stainless finish is the Special Configuration one in 2012/2013. But only the frame is stainless. The slide is still classic folded carbon steel.

Q

posted Hide Post
Thank you, sir!

I have a 'KE' factory two-tone "TSS" (stamped on the gray cardboard box) P228 that was sold to me used as a two-tone P228 with a "stainless" finish. Once home, I could not for the life of me tell the finish, meaning color and texture, apart from a different 'KF' factory two-tone "W/NICKEL SLIDE" (imprinted on the cardboard sleeve) P228 that I already owned.

I was never able to make sense of the "TSS" labeling and thought that without "nickel" stamped on it, that it couldn't possibly be nickel. Now, I know. Awesome!

MudPhud

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MudPhud:
Thank you, sir!

I have a 'KE' factory two-tone "TSS" (stamped on the gray cardboard box) P228 that was sold to me used as a two-tone P228 with a "stainless" finish. Once home, I could not for the life of me tell the finish, meaning color and texture, apart from a different 'KF' factory two-tone "W/NICKEL SLIDE" (imprinted on the cardboard sleeve) P228 that I already owned.

I was never able to make sense of the "TSS" labeling and thought that without "nickel" stamped on it, that it couldn't possibly be nickel. Now, I know. Awesome!

I supposed your KE 2-toner had the new code (TSS) from SIG at the time stamped on the box label, instead of the usual "NICKEL-T". Would you mind posting pic of the box with the label? You can block out the serial #, if you want to. This would be another interesting factoid. Thanks. Cool

Q

posted Hide Post
Sure 12131,

Now that you've mentioned it, you can very faintly see "SIGLITE" on the B220xxx box between P228 and the "TSS" stamp. I honestly had never noticed it before!

As an extra tidbit, the B238xxx two-tone P228 is Made in Germany, so it fell in the latter part of 'KF' when they were no longer stamped Made in W. Germany (like the earlier B230553 Sarge1998 one which is also 'KF').

MudPhud