SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The 10mm SIG 220ST Project
Page 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 65
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 10mm SIG 220ST Project Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The black with wood grips is just sexy. Can't wait to send my P220ST's in.

I'm on the fence about the blended beaver tail, for the guys who did the beaver tail why did you go with it?

What grips do you guys think look better the Sig or the Nil?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sned45,

Posts: 23 | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
I didn't see mine there, but there were a couple who's names you can't see, so I'm keepin my fingers crossed that it's one of them. Big Grin

I managed to talk (read, BEG) Jerry at OO to sell me a set of grips for a P220 Equinox...seemed to make sense - Grayguns P220X & grey laminate grips.

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
For those of you that are interested.......

I'm awaiting the final batch of parts to come back from the finisher. Once I have the final group of parts, the guns will be ready and waiting for springs and mags.

I forgot to take pics, but I did some custom bordering on a couple of the sets of wood grips to accommodate the magazine wells and it looks totally sexy. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

------------------------------
-------------------------------------------
Scott @ Apex
"Own enough guns that your wife will never notice a gun or 2 being added or taken away from the collection."
Leonard Novak - "Thee Gambler" (SASS)
------------------------------------------------

My guides to Sig Lubrication: http://www.apextactical.com/bl...-sauer-pistol-rails/

http://www.apextactical.com/bl...nternal-lubrication/

Posts: 3489 | Location: Apex Tactical Specialties - Peoria, AZ | Registered: June 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anarion, geez, I don't recall any begging involved, if I have something? Can only get my GSD Gunter to "beg" for treats; or women; but have to admit always has worked better on Gunter, than women! LOL

www.OrdnanceOutsellers.com
jerry@OrdnanceOutsellers.com

770-977-0662

Posts: 5227 | Location: Marietta, Ga. | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Cisco Kid
Picture of DesperAuto
posted Hide Post
The magwell on that badboy looks cool!

Big Cheezits! Haha Flork, I hereby assign you the new nickname "The Big Cheezit"! Big Grin

Posts: 4314 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
Some Teaser pics and a video for your pleasure.

Here, I'm trimming the muzzle of one of the 10mm barrels to length so I can crown it.

And the Grand Finale.....

Scott @ Apex
"Own enough guns that your wife will never notice a gun or 2 being added or taken away from the collection."

My guides to Sig Lubrication: http://www.apextactical.com/bl...-sauer-pistol-rails/

Posts: 3489 | Location: Apex Tactical Specialties - Peoria, AZ | Registered: June 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a most impressive project, and I have a true love of the 10mm. Problem is, no pistol I have found that fires it has SIG quality built in, and each one I have tried had its issues.

I do have a question though. If one is seeking this level of performance can't they just put a .400 corbon barrel in their P220 along with an appropriate recoil spring and match 10mm power? Or are there pitfalls to this approach? I was considering having a barrel & spring for .400 corbon handy just as something to play around with.

Anyway, best luck on this, it will be a most impressive piece of work I'm sure.

2001 German P220 (45), 1990 W. German P226 9MM.
In the past: Euro P220's 45/38, P225, P229

Posts: 200 | Location: Phoenix Arizona (Glendale Area) | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.400 Cor-Bon has several drawbacks when compared to 10mm.

It's a lower pressure round - it's limited to the same pressures as .45 ACP, which makes perfect sense due to the fact that it was designed to just be dropped into a .45 frame. It mostly hangs with .40 S&W in terms of shooting dynamics. Especially in the higher bullet weights, it just cannot compete with full power 10mm loads.

It also doesn't feed well in double stack magazines. Not a problem with a 220, granted, but still. You basically have to hand-load it long if you want it to truly feed well.

If you keep to the ligher bullet weights (135 grains to 165 grains), it doesn't give up all that much to the 10mm (at least if you stick with factory loads). It doesn't even come close to the top end of 10mm loadings, though.

.400 Cor-Bon is a fair alternative to .40 S&W, but there are many things that 10mm can do that those two cannot.

Posts: 422 | Location: Michigan | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After a bit of poking around I see what you mean. Best case for 400 corbon trying various things with Accurate #7 and #9 is:

135 grain jhp 1450
165 grain jhp 1325
180 grain lead 1200

You do nearly those numbers with Double Tap or Buffalo Bore .40 S&W. I see your point.

Posts: 200 | Location: Phoenix Arizona (Glendale Area) | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
The simple reason that a demand exists. Members of Sig Forum created a demand for a 10mm P220 and we're more than happy to provide them with that.

Besides....10mm just sounds so cool.

Scott @ Apex

posted Hide Post
Agreed on the 10mm. It is the coolest auto pistol caliber. I have owned every major model made because of this, from S&W, Star, Glock, EAA, etc. I just sold the EAA because the mag springs were "weird" and I couldn't find a replacement, nobody made them. Also the hammer rubbed the side of the cut in the slide, and out of 140 rounds there were two feed ramp hang-ups, and that was with a polished ramp and breach face. My S&W was a jam-o-matic even polished and then with work done. My glock fell apart from the stress. The Star jammed.

Nobody would love to see a great 10mm more than me.

I actually admire SIG for NOT making one, because they know that it is a huge leap and that a 10mm will eat an aluminum frame alive given enough hot loads. 10mm guys like myself tend to handload due to ammo prices, and we tend to load them hot, like the original Norma loads when they came out at 200 grains / 1200 fps. Not this watered down sissy stuff that you buy on the shelf. Someone almost needs to design a gas operated handgun for this caliber, but the size would be too much of course.

I guess if anything can do it, its a stainless SIG. I wish I had the spare cash right now but I make my money in home construction and you know how that is right now. Maybe when the economy turns around.

posted Hide Post
I'm happy to see that the project is still alive and well. I was offline for a while because of work, then a fractured ankle. Hey Flork, I'm going to try and give you a call one of these days.

Posts: 160 | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flork, you are indeed a tease! So dance over here and will put some bills in your garter! If someone as superbly qualified as GGI experiences much longer than expected delays, maybe some of the manufacturers should get a little slack too.....if they didn't "over promise and under deliver", which is not case here, as we've received good progress reports!

www.OrdnanceOutsellers.com
jerry@OrdnanceOutsellers.com

770-977-0662

Posts: 5227 | Location: Marietta, Ga. | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quattro_joe
posted Hide Post
I just got back from a weekend visit to the Grayguns shop, and I can attest that Flork is banging out 10mm 220's I think he did 2 or 3 while I was there, among other crazier cooler things that I am on the list for, once the prototype is properly tested.

"Sometimes Magic sounds like Tape" -- The Amazing Johnathan

Posts: 1208 | Location: Redmond,WA | Registered: March 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quattro_joe:
among other crazier cooler things that I am on the list for, once the prototype is properly tested.

Don't supposed anyone want's to fill us in on the next project..

Picture of 220parts
posted Hide Post
The "prototype" 10mm is still functioning quite well. Slide assembly is still on the rails and lead projectiles seem to be going in the proper direction!

Checking to see if the Free Factory Tour still has availability for 12 March. I understand Cheezits are served after the tour!

Veni, Vidi, Risi

Posts: 891 | Location: SW, NH | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sned45:
quote:
Originally posted by quattro_joe:
among other crazier cooler things that I am on the list for, once the prototype is properly tested.

Don't supposed anyone want's to fill us in on the next project..

That's the DA pull weight on the concept Ultra Light Competition Action. I'm working on getting it lighter. The best part is that it ignited factory ammo for every shot. At the moment, the double strike capability has been removed, but I'm working to preserve it.

Scott @ Apex

Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220parts:
Checking to see if the Free Factory Tour still has availability for 12 March. I understand Cheezits are served after the tour!

As long as the DELIVERY BOY brings them as well as other junk food.....Wink

Scott @ Apex

Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
Look what I put together today.

Here's a shot of the custom guide rod I fabricated today for the first and at the moment only 5" 10mm.

We brazed the 2 pieces together for final assembly.

Scott @ Apex

posted Hide Post
with the 5" barrel could you convert a P220 Sport to 10mm? Never mind just read the Sport has a 5.5" barrel.

Are those ROCO grips I see?