SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta 80X Cheetah
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta 80X Cheetah Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
Dang, this is a humorous thread.
RPUS - BOX…
Those photos of the old school 87 and the amazing 70s are reminders that this 400 year old company has always been known for beautiful design.
. They have some beautiful designs and some real stinkers; I know, I own a Nano.

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could be worse. You could have a Pico. Lol

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
The Cheetahs did actually have versions where the frame mounted lever was a safety and a decocker.

My 84 was one of them. Safety was up then if you went up one more “level” it decocked it. I may be mixing up the exact details but I’m 100% sure that they have decocker models.

Yeah, I sold my 84 a long time ago and also don’t remember exactly how it worked but mine had the frame mounted lever and I’m sure it worked as both a decocker and safety.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Cheetahs did actually have versions where the frame mounted lever was a safety and a decocker.

My 84 was one of them. Safety was up then if you went up one more “level” it decocked it. I may be mixing up the exact details but I’m 100% sure that they have decocker models.

Ok, that IS cool! I stand corrected...looking at wikipedia, it seems that feature started with the "F" models. I wonder if the BOX does that too? My 81 does not...I wish it did.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When i initially saw this i was kind of intrigued but really more disinterested having long ago checked out of my Beretta phase and more recently out of my .380 phase both for the last time or so i thought.
Then i see the TFB channel review where James shoots the first couple off the line and proclaims that they could be the best .380 pistols ever made. So, the best .380 AND its Beretta. Now i may have to get my hands on one.
Metal guns are not plentiful these days if you don't want to go 1911 and a smooth easy shooting gun with a safety could certainly find some use in my line up.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Ain't she purdy? Big Grin

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, they are all aflutter over it, aren't they? Razz

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somehow I never thought about the cheetah being blowback. I always thought of it as a mini 92. How's the recoil compared to its big brother?

Posts: 2750 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is so typical of Beretta misreading the marketplace. Again. The director of marketing was so ecstatic over wait for it, COLORS! How fucking tone deaf is that guy. Green, bronze, black, inox, yay!

A blowback 380. The rear sight affixed to the plate? Did you not just watch this with the 365? People prefer them separate from the plate. Mags aren't compatible with the 84? Seriously? How stupid are these marketing guys?

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

There have been a few reports of people coming down with the Vapours after handling one.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is so typical of Beretta misreading the marketplace. Again. The director of marketing was so ecstatic over wait for it, COLORS! How fucking tone deaf is that guy. Green, bronze, black, inox, yay!

A blowback 380. The rear sight affixed to the plate? Did you not just watch this with the 365? People prefer them separate from the plate. Mags aren't compatible with the 84? Seriously? How stupid are these marketing guys?

Sadly, there are probably folks that care about that crap more than the technical stuff.

Marketing people are the worst...they pander to the shallow and clueless, which I take to be a reflection of their own personalities. When I worked in IT, most of the ones I met were at best incompetent, at the worst outright liars. They never knew the answers to any of the functionality or technical implementation questions that I needed answered. The few good ones would go find out, but most would just make stuff up. I got to the point where I refused to talk to salespeople. "Get me your engineer and let me talk with him or we're not buying your product. I'll talk to you when we get to the payment part...beyond that you're a waste of time."

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

The Youtube comments seem very favorable on the BOX Cheetah like they've spent their entire lives waiting for it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
*actaully curious if it can be converted

I highly doubt it. To my knowledge, Beretta doesn't make a gun with a frame-mounted decocker. The guns they make with frame safeties are safeties only. The original Cheetahs have a frame mounted safety just like the "BOX", but no decocker.

Sorry, I thought the safety on this BOX was a decocker also. Is it just a safety? Is this supposed to be carried cocked/locked? Jeepers.

Posts: 444 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I still don't understand not coming with optics plates. "Cost prohibitive"...even the 92X Performance was supposed to have a voucher system for one free plate...registered for that but months later, nada.

Yeah...I'm not seeing the $1k for an optics .380 market

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I bought my 92X RDO they gave me a coupon for one plate. Of course on the 92 it mounted about a foot above the bore so it went into the parts bin. Direct mount is the way to go.

For goodness sake Beretta, Sig did most of the heavy lifting for you. Separate dovetail and optic plate. Direct mount, pick the winner. Same mags, that is so easy. Beretta, making easy hard for 400 years.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Somehow I never thought about the cheetah being blowback.
Not only are they blowback, but there is no extractor. The expanding gases blow the case out. You would think this would cause erratic ejection, but the model 86 (single-stack, tip-up barrel) I had ejected cases quite vigorously and fairly consistently. However, should you get a dud cartridge, you have a real problem.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Somehow I never thought about the cheetah being blowback.
Not only are they blowback, but there is no extractor.
Sorry, that's incorrect.

Chosen at random from the web- you can see the extractor in this 84F: https://dygtyjqp7pi0m.cloudfro...pg?v=8D1079814889770

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's partially correct. The Beretta 86 with its tip-up barrel doesn't have an extractor, but the other 80-series fixed barrel Beretta Cheetahs do.

Sounds like egregore has experience with the 86 in particular, and may have assumed that all the other related Cheetah models likewise dispensed with the extractor.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For fun try getting a bum 22 out of a 21a Bobcat. Good times.

Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
I think it is a neat little pistol. I just can't wrap my head around the price tag. It is ridiculously overpriced.

-- George Orwell