SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta 80X Cheetah
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta 80X Cheetah Login/Join 
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Beretta should have gone with Roman numerals.
What could be more memorable than LXXXX?

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
You know what would complete their lineup? A model called the ADX.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Recoil sensitive? Yea, don’t buy a blowback 380.

A big 10-4 on that, good buddy.

The BOX ain't for pussies.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My point as I’m sure you are aware is that blowback 380’s such as this gun recoil as much as a locked breech 9. I owned/still own Beretta Cheetahs in 380. They are less pleasant to shoot than a 365 in 9mm.

The Beretta380’s have always pseudo been marketed in this vein but it’s kind of bullshit. They recoil outsized to their size and caliber. They are hard to rack. The tip up variety (86) is easier to load obviously but they became very hard to find and expensive to boot.

This gun serves no conceivable niche that will sell. It’s an outdated design that forward serrations and pic rails can’t hide. Why Beretta?

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
This gun serves no conceivable niche that will sell. It’s an outdated design that forward serrations and pic rails can’t hide. Why Beretta?

Agreed. The only appeal I can see here is the potential for a .22, and for whatever reason they chose not to do that. Interesting that this looks to be a Beretta Italy product...weren't the X-series 92s all from Tennessee? Or did they make those in Italy too?

Is Beretta USA as clueless about market demand as their Italian counterparts?

quote:
The BOX ain't for pussies.

That cracked me up Big Grin!

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, nobody said anything to Richard's first joke, so he had to take another stab at it. Razz

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang, this is a humorous thread.
RPUS - BOX…
Those photos of the old school 87 and the amazing 70s are reminders that this 400 year old company has always been known for beautiful design.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
How many gun buyers, particularly first time buyers, go into a gun store highly educated and having fired a bunch of different guns and compared recoil and such?

And how many walk in with little idea of what they want and walk out with a new gun after holding a few models that the clerk recommended and picking based on what looked nice, felt good in their hand and was within their budget?

I’ve never worked in a gun store so I’m honestly asking. Based on the conversations I’ve overhead most first time buyers don’t know a whole lot about what they want.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All true but this won’t be a cheap first time gun purchase. This thing runs 800 bucks at full tilt. A first time buyer is going to balk at a hard to rack, biggish, heavy 380 at $799 when right next to it is a plastic Sig, Smith, SA, etc 9mm (or 380) at half the weight and half the price.

This mother scratcher ain’t going to sell. This coming from a guy who loves Beretta. This is going to make the Pico look like marketing genius.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Fair enough, $799 seems pretty steep. Funny the 92x compact RDO is only $749 MSRP.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Hell, the rear sight is part of the filler plate.

The only plus to that is all of the micro dots with that footprint have rear sights built into the optic. It's not as bad as the larger ones that are just dots.

It's still a pass. I'm very much a "9 minimum" and upwards kind of guy.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would buy this immediately if it:

- was decock only*
- had no rail
- had no optic cut
- didn't use the grips to market the BOX model name

*actaully curious if it can be converted

Posts: 444 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting features stated at this site:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_Cheetah

It's listed as 80X, that must be a typoSmile

Sounds like high tech improvements have tamed down racking the slide a bit. Does that make it even more unpleasant to shoot?

Posts: 159 | Location: PA | Registered: December 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
*actaully curious if it can be converted

I highly doubt it. To my knowledge, Beretta doesn't make a gun with a frame-mounted decocker. The guns they make with frame safeties are safeties only. The original Cheetahs have a frame mounted safety just like the "BOX", but no decocker.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
If you're OK with a licensed copy, Tisas has the Faith for under $400:

https://tisasusa.com/tisas-faith-b380/

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Does the BOX have an alloy or steel frame? I couldn't find that info

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^It is alloy framed, according to this info vid from The Firearms Blog.

https://youtu.be/ncyLxSUkKMo

The part 2 video has more info; to include the fact that the magazines are new, not interchangeable with the 84s.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Does the BOX have an alloy or steel frame? I couldn't find that info

The site is up and is showing 25 oz so likely an alloy frame.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/80x-cheetah/

Hope you like sticker shock because the base is $799 and $999 for the blk/bronze.

posted Hide Post
The Cheetahs did actually have versions where the frame mounted lever was a safety and a decocker.

My 84 was one of them. Safety was up then if you went up one more “level” it decocked it. I may be mixing up the exact details but I’m 100% sure that they have decocker models.