SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do you carry a .45?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you carry a .45? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
With everything new coming out these days all being in 9 mm, I was curious to see who is still carrying a 45 ACP. If you carry one, what do you carry?

Here in California, we are limited to only the clock, 30, or a 1911 for the most part. For any of my friends here on the form from California that carry a 45, any suggestions would be great.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
At times I will carry an HK45c or a USPc in .45 but it is rare and usually for capacity restricted locales. Love them though.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
Of all the .45’s I own, the one I carry significantly more than anything else combined, is a Dan Wesson TCP, with 2 spare 10rd Tripp Research Cobra Mags.

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 570 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Usually I carry a P365, but on occasion I will adorn myself with a Sig 1911 CO. Nice, thin carry model.
s.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Ruger 4 1/4” lightweight 1911 in 45.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Lately my Colt Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander or my Colt Defender. It's been awhile, but I also occasionally carry my HK 45c, or HK USPc in 45. I seem to carry my 45s more than my 9s.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
These still get carry time, especially the bottom one. Although the 9mm P229 is getting more and more of it these days. I like the grip on the P220 a tiny bit better, but it's hard to argue with the capacity on the P229.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not in Califorina, but my son carries a Ruger 1911 OWB with an offside double mag carrier. Total of 22 rounds and he shoots them better than any 9mm I have. He is 6' 4" and 250 lbs and the pistol just fits him.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I quit carrying my P220ST when I bought my CZ SP01 Shadow years ago. I switched because the 9mm had a higher capacity(19) compared to the P220ST, 45, with (9).
Since IL now has horrible new gun restrictions that limit my semi to 15 rounds I can't find 15rnd mags so have to go with 10rnd mags in the 9mm CZ.
I might have to go back to the 45acp.

Posts: 4628 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. Never. Too heavy and restrictive. It’s my favorite round to shoot and for home self defense though. .38 or .380 are my two carry guns now. I really like the size and weight of the .380s

Posts: 70 | Location: Southeast Georgia  | Registered: February 04, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
I don’t really carry it as an EDC but one of my BUG out options is my HK 45C in LEM. Great pistol that I keep ready to go alongside my Wilson 870P.

When I say BUG out, I mean more for prolonged hurricane or ice storm issues, which we can get down here in Carolina. If I have to leave the area and go to family up north, these are my preferred choices for travel during “normal” times. The AR’s and Glock 19’s get reserved more for “civil unrest” duty.

I also have a Glock 21sf with a Streamlight TLR-1 and a TTI +4 that gives me 17+1 for nightstand duty.

Posts: 331 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
At least 50% of the time, usually a Colt Lightweight Commander or a Springfield full rail Operator with Surefire X300U on duty.

Posts: 824 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. I do carry a .45 often. It's a S&W Shield .45 and I carry it in a Blade-Tech OWB holster. Super light and not much bigger than the 9mm version. The recoil is surprisingly mild. It's nowhere near Glock 21 mild, but I actually like shooting it better than my P220. It's accuracy is at least as good, if not better, than my bigger .45 handguns.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
SIG P-220 DAK.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4619 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lightweight Colt Commander 45acp is my daily carry. It's a rare day when I carry a Glock 19 or 26 but it sometimes happens.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. But I also don't normally carry a 9mm either. .40S&W remains my projectile poison of choice.

Ages ago I attempted to carry my S&W E-series round butt commander a couple of times. Relatively light in weight due to its scandium frame and slim because it's a 1911, but I realized quickly that my brain and reflexes are simply not wired for thumb safeties, in particular 1911 thumb safeties of a certain size and shape. Riding the one that came on the S&W was and still is a challenge for my short thumb. The curse of small hands and baby sized fingers continues...

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried a P220 for years. In fact, my first one had the European release as that was all there was.

Now days when I carry a 45 its usually my Glock 36.

Posts: 146 | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still use my S&W Shield .45 quite often. Shoots good and is more than accurate enough for carry purposes.

Posts: 35 | Location: Eastern N.C. | Registered: November 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Sig 1911 Ultra Carry - I practice dropping the safety 5-10 times a day. Love this gun but I've carried it for 5 years. Beretta Pico is my light weight little buddy.

I do hate that 1911 safety.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Have Camera - Will Travel
Wire Gonzo, Far Bombay
posted Hide Post
In cooler weather I regularly carry my Sig P245.

Sometimes good people have to do bad things to bad people to prevent bad people from doing bad things to good people.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.-Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 3095 | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post