SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P228 VS P229...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P228 VS P229... Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
Also, Q, just so I’m clear; I can use the coiled pin in the P228 I
Won from you and my 2003 P220?

quote:
Thank you, Q! Do you have a good source for purchasing them?

These 2 famed gunsmiths (Gerry Ritacco of Total Automation and Robert Burke The Sig Armorer) use them in the folded slide SIGs. Gerry is the father of the QTR (Quick Trigger Reset) system. He manufactures small aftermarket parts like the coiled pin and the internal extractor for the folded slide SIGs, but he no longer maintains a website. So, it's best to contact Robert about the coiled pin.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The slide cocking serrations on the older P229’s were not my favorite. I always liked the P228 (and P226/P220) cocking serrations better. I would take one of the newer P229’s with full length cocking serrations, or a P228. YMMV.

Charlie

Posts: 22 | Registered: November 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have had both W.German 228 in 9mm and a 229 in .40 since the late 90's.

Will never give up either one as they are laser accurate.

Took my CCW class with the 228 and the instructor loved it, ~25 people in the class and mine was the only non striker, non polymer pistol there.

Including the 2 instructors.

Posts: 286 | Location: midwest | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Also, Q, just so I’m clear; I can use the coiled pin in the P228 I
Won from you and my 2003 P220?

quote:
Thank you, Q! Do you have a good source for purchasing them?

These 2 famed gunsmiths (Gerry Ritacco of Total Automation and Robert Burke The Sig Armorer) use them in the folded slide SIGs. Gerry is the father of the QTR (Quick Trigger Reset) system. He manufactures small aftermarket parts like the coiled pin and the internal extractor for the folded slide SIGs, but he no longer maintains a website. So, it's best to contact Robert about the coiled pin.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
I prefer the P228, it just feels better in my hand. I also prefer the full height serrations on the slide, and I am aware that the new 229s have that feature. I still prefer the 228.

But to get the full height serrations on the P229 you have to live with the ugly long external extractor. I know, ugly is in the eye of the beholder. Wink

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbacker_99:
Stamp slide guns= Two part inner and outer pins

Early short extractor P229/P226 = solid pins

Later short extractor P229/P226 = spiral pins, I referred to these as rolled pins, same thing

The rolled/spiral pins are more durable.

Do you know if the earlier solid pins can be replaced with anything else? Those pins are almost impossible to take out and put a new one in without damaging the slide.

Posts: 636 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
I prefer the P228, it just feels better in my hand. I also prefer the full height serrations on the slide, and I am aware that the new 229s have that feature. I still prefer the 228.

But to get the full height serrations on the P229 you have to live with the ugly long external extractor. I know, ugly is in the eye of the beholder. Wink

I can’t say that I disagree with you on the aesthetics of the new extractor. Another reason why I like the 228.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you know if the earlier solid pins can be replaced with anything else? Those pins are almost impossible to take out and put a new one in without damaging the slide.

I'm curious about this as well. My dept armorer buggered up the slide somewhat on my P229 trying to get that solid pin out for routine inspection/maintenance. He never did get it out. He got it done on all the other guns just fine, so apparently mine is abnormally tight. Now that I own the gun, I've considered trying to remove it, but have held off because the gun still works fine and I don't want to turn a minor problem into a big one. If I ever do remove it, I'd rather not put it back in there if a better option exists.

My biggest concern would be that the coiled pin might be too long for my gun if it's designed for models with full-height serrations. My gun has the half-height serrations, and the slide is tapered above them where the pin goes through, so might it require a shorter pin?

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:

I'm curious about this as well. My dept armorer buggered up the slide somewhat on my P229 trying to get that solid pin out for routine inspection/maintenance. He never did get it out. He got it done on all the other guns just fine, so apparently mine is abnormally tight. Now that I own the gun, I've considered trying to remove it, but have held off because the gun still works fine and I don't want to turn a minor problem into a big one. If I ever do remove it, I'd rather not put it back in there if a better option exists.

My biggest concern would be that the coiled pin might be too long for my gun if it's designed for models with full-height serrations. My gun has the half-height serrations, and the slide is tapered above them where the pin goes through, so might it require a shorter pin?

The solid pin has two different diameters, the left side has a larger knurled diameter. So your stuck with the solid pin.
To remove a real tight pin you'll have to send it out to a Sig gunsmith. Like Robert , Gerry or Bruce.

Posts: 1559 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
The solid pin has two different diameters, the left side has a larger knurled diameter. So your stuck with the solid pin.
To remove a real tight pin you'll have to send it out to a Sig gunsmith. Like Robert , Gerry or Bruce.

Thanks! Not what I wanted to hear, but I appreciate the info!

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leucoandro:
The slide cocking serrations on the older P229’s were not my favorite. I always liked the P228 (and P226/P220) cocking serrations better. I would take one of the newer P229’s with full length cocking serrations, or a P228. YMMV.

Charlie

I know everyone has their preferences, and that is 100% understandable, however I don't quite get the preference of full-height vs half-height cocking serrations... functionally speaking; aesthetics are a different ballgame. I have owned both, and I sweat profusely during the summer months, but I have NEVER had my hand slip when cocking my P229 with what folks call the "legacy" slide.

Buy hey, to each their own, right? That's what makes us individuals! Big Grin

Posts: 4587 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post