SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P228 VS P229...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P228 VS P229... Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I prefer the balance of the older folded steel slides, so I voted P228. Sadly, I don't own one. I do have an early pre-rail P229 in .40...my first duty gun that I bought from my dept. when we went to the P320. It's a good gun, but a bit heavy and blocky for my taste. The P228 is a little more svelte.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I guess I've got 1 1/2 of each. An '80's 228, a 229DAK in .040 that I converted to .357 Sig, and a new 228 M11A1, which in my opinion is really a non railed 229.

I didn't vote, because I really don't know which one I'd choose to keep.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
One thing going for the 229 is the solid pin vs. the rolled pin of the 228 (which must be replaced at interval). Not a big thing, but something.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I guess a person couldn’t put a solid pin in a P228?

quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
One thing going for the 229 is the solid pin vs. the rolled pin of the 228 (which must be replaced at interval). Not a big thing, but something.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^^Don't know. Any armorer want to comment?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The solid pins on the early P226 and P229 guns were eventually replaced by rolled steel pins.

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^^Interesting. Do you know the reason?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Voted P228 because I like it. But, the P229 is no doubt a more robust gun.

Really? You like 228s? Would have never guessed. Smile

The way he gives them away I figured he didn’t like them... Big Grin

No, he gives them away because every time he opens the safe door 100 or so fall out on the floor, gets tired of restacking them Wink .

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Yeah. I have always noticed stainless slides have solid pins and stamped slides have rolled pins. I never understood why or if/why I couldn’t use a solid pin in my stamped slide.

quote:
Originally posted by mbacker_99:
The solid pins on the early P226 and P229 guns were eventually replaced by rolled steel pins.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought they were replaced by spiral pins which are different from the split roll pins?

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stamp slide guns= Two part inner and outer pins

Early short extractor P229/P226 = solid pins

Later short extractor P229/P226 = spiral pins, I referred to these as rolled pins, same thing

The rolled/spiral pins are more durable.

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
The rolled/spiral pins are more durable.

And can be used in the the stamped/folded slide gun, too.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Do the spiral pins require periodic replacement?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
What about the coiled pins?
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/PIN-12
Coiled is the spiral pin. Same piece.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks, David. Does this eliminate the need for an outer and inner pin?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
Thanks, David. Does this eliminate the need for an outer and inner pin?

Correct. There is only one pin, and it's spiraled/coiled.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Q! Do you have a good source for purchasing them?

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Also, Q, just so I’m clear; I can use the coiled pin in the P228 I
Won from you and my 2003 P220?

Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I prefer the P228, it just feels better in my hand. I also prefer the full height serrations on the slide, and I am aware that the new 229s have that feature. I still prefer the 228.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post