SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P228 VS P229...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P228 VS P229... Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Voted P228 because I like it. But, the P229 is no doubt a more robust gun.

Really? You like 228s? Would have never guessed. Smile

The way he gives them away I figured he didn’t like them... Big Grin

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
One reason to choose the 228 is the balance. Some people don't feel a difference, and some do. I am one who do. The 228 has perfect balance. The 229 is slightly nose-heavy. Again some people feel it, and some do not.

The slight nose-heaviness is not necessarily a bad thing. While it makes the gun a little less "pointable", it also makes rapid fire more controlled (the gun bucks less). Your're on the target a little sooner for your second shot.

You are correct Sir. Better balance with the 228.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like a little bit of nose heavy balance and that's the reason I'd pick the 229. Speaking of 229s, the one I got from the generous Q has a wonderful classic P series trigger. The d/a pull is as good as it gets without having custom work done.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents,

The P228 is a fine weapon, but in the P229 stainless elite we have the option of moving up to stainless steel AND the .357 Sig. THAT is a match made in heaven, IMHO.

Wes

Posts: 2427 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Weshowe checked in 1st, but I totally agree. Stainless steel and .357 Sig make the P229 the winner!

Posts: 791 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The 228 feels more balanced to my hand and carries just a hair sleeker so it’s my first choice. I do like the 229’s robust design, especially in 9mm but the 228 edges it out for me. And anyone that can afford to should own both.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
228s for me when in 9; 229s when in.40 and 357sig.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fquico:

Precisely! Love the balance of the P228/9 and the extra two ounces for controlling the P229/357.

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Posts: 547 | Location: MA | Registered: March 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fquico:

Exactly. Since I am slowly moving to all 9mm, I voted P228. However, I will probably keep my .40 P229 with additional .357 barrel and .45 P220 just to be able to shoot these calibers if I feel like it.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
quote:
One reason to choose the 228 is the balance. Some people don't feel a difference, and some do. I am one who do. The 228 has perfect balance. The 229 is slightly nose-heavy. Again some people feel it, and some do not.

The slight nose-heaviness is not necessarily a bad thing. While it makes the gun a little less "pointable", it also makes rapid fire more controlled (the gun bucks less). Your're on the target a little sooner for your second shot.

I call BS on this one. LOL

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
quote:

I call BS on this one. LOL

Are you calling me a liar or just stupid?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Love my 229. Looking to pick up the .357 and 9mm barrels for it.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
Why not just have both?

I mean, if I had to choose one based on saving my life with it I'd choose the P229. Stronger, better design, stronger materials, higher capacity (in 9mm of course), and more options on rail or no rail etc.

If you're talking from some kind of collectors point of view than I kind of see the draw of the P228 and the German guns but I'm not really sold on that idea fully myself even though I have several W. German and German P-Series pistols. I don't place more value in them but I understand that some do, so that just naturally makes their values go up a bit in the practical sense.

I feel that the P229-1 is the pinnacle of the fighting classic P-Series guns. I have both a P229-1 in 9mm and a P229 Legion in 9mm, I believe the P229-1 is the better of the two because I think the nitron finish is better than the PVD finish of the Legion. For me the Siglite sights are equal to the X-ray sights. The Legion has a slightly better feel to it due to the extra bit of the trigger guard under-cut and better front strap checkering, the legion also has better stock grips than either the older plastic or the E2 grips but I have replaced the E2 grips on my P229-1 with a set of Hogue G10 grips which are equal to the Legion grips. I find the trigger to be even in pull weight and feel. The "Short Reset" Legion trigger is way overrated in my book. Not that it's a bad thing just that I can take it or leave it.

My P228 is great too, over all the years I've had Sig Sauers I actually got my first P228 last summer from a friend. I like it and carry it some just because I want to. I do wish all P229s had the rounded trigger guard of the P228, some do and some don't.

I like my P229 (legacy before calling them legacy) in 357SIG although I shrug my shoulders at the legacy cut of the slide and wonder "Why???".

I guess it all comes down to, why choose, why not just have both P228s and P229s?

for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bushpilot:
Love my 229. Looking to pick up the .357 and 9mm barrels for it.

Putting a 9mm barrel in a 40/357 SIG is a travesty, just get another pistol that's built properly for the caliber you want to shoot. With all the police trade-ins on the market they are inexpensive.

Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:

Putting a 9mm barrel in a 40/357 SIG is a travesty, just get another pistol that's built properly for the caliber you want to shoot

Isn't that basically what a P229-1 is? Wink

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a M11-A1, not the classic 228 but I like the pistol's classic looks without a rail. I am considering a 229 so I can add a laser or light if I choose. Probably buy one with a red dot.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:

This...in spades, the P228 just feels better, bought an A-1 version a couple years ago and hated it.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I've owned more than one of each, and voted 229. Both great guns IMHO, and never a moment's trouble with either model. I actually like the heavier feel/balance of the 229 though, and do believe that the milled slide is more robust.

NRA Life

Posts: 1565 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sold my P229 but still have a P228. The P229 didn’t really fill any roles for me but the West German P228 is collectible. Nothing wrong with either one.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I originally got a P229 because I was interviewing with a state agency that carried the P229. I ended up getting another, then another in .40, and later in .357. After, I got the P226, which would be my first choice of the two. For concealed carry, or holstered and sitting, I'd go for the 229.

The 228 I really like, but don't have any presently.

For concealed carry, I prefer the P239 over the P228 or P229.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post