SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Revolvers and the younger generation
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolvers and the younger generation Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:

I took a class just for fun about 8 years ago, and I was shocked that the strategy was basically, "point the gun at the target and keep shooting until you empty your gun." I was so disgusted at this training that I didn't pursue any more training. I felt the training I took in the 80's was real, and what I found 8 years ago was just "spray and pray" with no real skills to build.

I still long for the good old days of real revolver training.

While I agree shooting a double action revolver requires more skill due to trigger, ammo supply and reloading I disagree that running a semi auto automatically means dump a mag spray and pray. Can you spray and pray, yes. Do folks spray and pray yes. Does shooting a semi auto automatically mean the user is less skilled ABSOLUTELY NOT! Skills and fundamentals apply equally well to a semi auto and there are a great many folks out there who run them far better then the lions share of wheel gunners.

None of the above is to imply I have any of the aforementioned skills. Just that they are not mutually exclusive.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I have noticed that those who came up on revolvers and shoot them well, having learned how to use a DA trigger, shoot all types of handguns well. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
I have noticed that those who came up on revolvers and shoot them well, having learned how to use a DA trigger, shoot all types of handguns well. Regards 18DAI

I will say that for me personally I cut my teeth on DA/SA autos and ALWAYS shot AT LEAST the first shot of every mag DA and I have done a tone of revolver shooting almost NEVER shoot them SA (once in a blue moon I might finish with a few SA shots). That said I absolutely believe that has paid dividends in me being able to shoot pretty much anything well. I agree that those skills seem to pay dividends in overall shooting skill.

While I have no problems with strikers and ran them for many years, I transitioned back to DA/SA several years ago and it just works for me and I still greatly enjoy shooting revolvers.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
36 year cop, started with a Model 10. Been teaching since 1991. What the revolver offers is a MUCH simpler manual of arms that benefits non-shooters. There are no immediate actions, other than pressing the trigger again. Loading, reloading and unloading is dirt simple. Maintenance is minimal. For the average DGU, given the average disinterested shooter, wheelguns are hard to beat.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:
36 year cop, started with a Model 10. Been teaching since 1991. What the revolver offers is a MUCH simpler manual of arms that benefits non-shooters. There are no immediate actions, other than pressing the trigger again. Loading, reloading and unloading is dirt simple. Maintenance is minimal. For the average DGU, given the average disinterested shooter, wheelguns are hard to beat.
A lot of people disagree with that sentiment . I'm not one of them . Old school is cool .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I have very little doubt that a small revolver is the most appropriate choice for the vast majority of concealed carriers today.

I also have very little doubt that the vast majority of concealed carriers are carrying semi-autos with which they are not very competent.

I prefer a small semi for carry due to flatness and capacity, but I am comfortable and competent with a revolver as well. I'm a fan of the Ruger LCRs, and I recently purchased one in .327 Federal Magnum. Six shots!

If I had to engage someone at 15-50 yards, I'd be much happier with the tiny P365 than the LCR or J frame Smith. However, if I had to engage at 75 yards or greater, I think I'd prefer my model 19 to any full size semi-auto.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am 57. Just bought a 4" stainless korth mongoose. Beautiful, accurate gun.
Its now my only revolver, but i have owned many and think they are still a viable tool depending on the task. They are also alot of fun at the range.
If i see the Manhurin revolver being made by Beretta i will probably buy one.
Expensive - yes, but if its your thing and you can buy one and still pay the bills, you live once

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
My Grandpa was a big .41 Magnum guy and I’ve got a Blackhawk and Super Redhawk along with some older .357 S&Ws. I like them, but I don’t like the grip. After looking at the Manurhin revolvers that have Trausch grips, I think those would solve my problems with Revolvers.

Whenever I shoot a revolver, my hand slowly slides its way up towards the hammer. The Trausch grips look like they have a bit of a “beavertail,” or enough of one, to keep my hand planted in place.

Posts: 4181 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with wheel guns, I like my Governor.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm an older guy. My favorite guns are revolvers that are 65 to 103 years old. Nothing made today can match the quality and precision of these old wheel guns. That being said, my latest purchase is a CZ 97BD with a Cajun Gun Works "E" conversion. It is an amazing pistol. I'm also a big fan of my Sigs, especially my P220's. At the range, I'll often let younger, curious shooters try my revolvers. Some take to them, but most are convinced that we live in a polymer world. I don't own any plastic guns, and have no inclination to do so, but put anything in my hand that shoots, and I'm a happy camper.

Posts: 128 | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
First shooting: Ruger Bearcat and MarK III

Loved the Bearcat, Mark III hands down.

Second revolver: .38 British top break revolver, it was fun.

Third revolver: Some SW .44 Special, shorter barrel. Hated it. Barrel too high, too much recoil.

Got handed a Beretta M9 in the MC have been Semi ever since. Now 226 or 229 in 9mm all day.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
The Model 10 four inch can still be formidable in the right hands. A solid all around revolver.

Posts: 2777 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I'm an admitted S&W revolver addict. Mostly the big bore short barrel variety with combat grips. I did recently acquire two three inch model 66-2's.
I think I'm up to 13 now. None have the internal lock and none longer than three inches outside my 4" model 19-3.

The prices keep skyrocketing so someone is buying them. Nothing is under $1,000 on the auction sites these days.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post