SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Revolvers and the younger generation
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolvers and the younger generation Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My co-grandpa and I took his grandson to the range, and let him fire a number of my handguns after his rifle class (he was I think 17 then).
He got a really wicked grin on his face when shooting my S&W 627 PC with Apex action--he preferred it over my Sigs. In many ways, I do to.
BTW it's an 8-shot and reloads with moon clips as fast as you can reload a mag in a semi-auto.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I regularly carry GP100, SP101, Speed Six, and K-Frame revolvers, by choice. J-Frames are a bit beyond the point of diminishing returns, in shootability. My best accuracy potential is with a 4” or longer GP100, or a 4” or longer K/L-Frame. I have to train more often, live-fire, with autos, to maintain what I consider to be acceptable skill, and the panic-demic has made training sessions few and far between.

I shoot K-Frame snub-guns, and SP101 revolvers, better than compact autos. I am “comfortable” when carrying such revolvers. I do tend to carry multiple handguns, and when doing so, do not feel any ammo-capacity inferiority complex. I will concede that if I have to break-out of an ANTIFAmbush, it would be nice to have a Glock G17, with multiple mags.

Plus, my aging right hand does not always provide a stable platform for reliable auto-loading function. So, I may resume toting an auto, accessible to my left hand, to be a “reload” option, but still consider a revolver, worn on or near my right hip, to be the primary weapon. Thankfully, I am functionally ambidextrous with most handguns.

I am age 59, born in 1961, so, by some definitions, younger than a boomer, and considered by others to be a late boomer. I started handgunning, at age 21, with a 1911, but at age 22, was hired by a PD, that required me to carry a DA revolver, in the academy, and then during my first year of sworn service. So, I have been using both auto-pistols and revolving pistols for about the same amount of time.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’ve never carried a revolver but I’ve got a Security Six in the nightstand.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 37, and I've carried revolvers. Mostly, a Colt Night Cobra. My wife has a Detective Special in her nightstand.

For some applications, wheelguns are the way to go. I've been shooting for 31 years this year, took me a good 15 years to come to that conclusion.

Posts: 59 | Location: NW Burbs of Illinois | Registered: June 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In regards to concealed carry I carried revolvers but with the advent of the Glock I switched over to the semiautomatic pistol. Today as this is written my EDC is a S&W Shield 9X19mm with the backup being a S&W M640 38Spl. Yes I'm old in the middle part of my seventh decade.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gen X here. I just finished a handgun class and when we had to bring a revolver to class I had to go on an epic quest to go find one and some ammo from my dept. I arrived, covid mask and dirty harry gun in hand, joking that I didn't know they required us to knock off a liquor store on the way to class. Revolver day was fun however.

Most of the guys know who carry them for backups consider them good for stuffing into a badguy during a fight more than any other consideration. Besides the tired old arguments we've all read I'll say that autoloaders may be more likely to have an issue, maybe, but when it goes wrong with a revolver its armorer level bad.

I consider revolvers to be classy old guns with cool engraving and nice finishes but they are not for me. I do love my Webley and my black powder 44 but they are more of a historical novelty to me. Its all personal taste however.

YMMV of course and as always, its nice to have options.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Started on autos, but am coming to appreciate the revolver a lot. Shot my 686+ PC the other day...magnums were surprisingly easy.

It's all been said here - but the revolver is still a viable alternative. Here in CA, they are the only new to market guns we get. I suspect that will continue so if you're a resident of the Golden State...embrace that wheelgun...

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
My Glock 19 carries 16 in the gun and is half the weight of my 2 1/2" M19 or M66. I can shoot faster and more accurately with my Glock 19, as can most people, due to simple ergo's and body mechanics.

Most new shooters have only ever dealt with semi's and its all they know. It's why most people carry semi's. same as most revolver shooters carried double action revolvers instead of single action revolvers. We stick with what we know because that's what we're comfortable with.

My very first issued duty weapon was a M581 Combat Magnum. A year later we went to Glocks. I'm a fan of revolvers. And 1911's. I still carry one or the other every once in a while because just because I like the classics.

The other 99% of the time I carry a Glock 19 or 26.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started with Sig semis (P230SL in .380ACP, P220 in .45ACP and P229 in .357Sig) in the mid to late 1980's. Then years later found I also enjoy lever action rifles and revolvers. The SP101 in .22LR and the GP100 in .22LR see a lot of action.

EDC for me is either a 3" GP100 in .357Mag or a Sig P239 in .357Sig. Oftentimes a Ruger LCP II in .22LR finds it way into the front pocket.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 232 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I enjoy shooting them. But they just don't fit a need of mine. Most of my pistols I buy to carry. The extra capacity of a semi-auto just doesn't put a revolver at the top of the buy list.

At some point I'll likely get one because a .357 lever gun is on my list. Would be nice to have a pistol that shoots it as well.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8853 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xaircav
posted Hide Post
I’m currently doing physical therapy for a left hand injury (I’m a righty). It’s almost impossible to rack the slide on my Glock 43x or 48. I’m now revolver shopping. Safety Tip: Don’t put you hand on the edge of a gang box until the lid is all the way up and locked in the open position.

I have flown among the trees and looked into the face of the enemy.

Posts: 785 | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tail end of the boomer generation for me.

I grew up with both revolvers and semi-autos. Dad was a semi guy, his brother was into revolvers. Lotsa S&Ws and Colts in my uncle's household. Got to shoot them quite a bit. Though kinda funny how it didn't rub off on me, at least initially. When I got back into handguns I immediately gravitated to semi-autos. That was just over 30 years ago. I didn't buy my first "wheelgun" until my early 50s, some two decades on, which wound up being my now much cherished 3" GP100. Epiphany? Most definitely.

I've added several since and enjoy the livin' snot out of each of them. I've carried my 3" GP100 in a woods role but that one has since surrendered the job to my 10mm Glock. But I still do have loads of fun shooting them...well, except mebbe for the snappy lil' bugger J-frame. But I will take that 442 out for a spin every once and a (long) while despite its rather stinging nature. Just like I infrequently do with my palm-punishing P232 in the semi-auto world.

A K6S is still on my bucket list...and I wouldn't mind a 4" 617.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
35 y/o “millennial” here.
I carry a S&W 360 PD in my front pocket. Everyday.
The reason is it is the lightest fully loaded pistol and I live half my life in athletic shorts and it doesn’t tug them down.
As a pocket pistol at work, I find revolvers don’t tend to scream GUN as much as semiautomatics if printed through slacks or jeans. It looks like I just have way too much crap shoved in my pocket which matches the left hand side. Semi-autos tend to have a more obvious “gun shape”

As far as full size revolvers, I have a Redhawk in .44 magnum that I love to shoot.

Currently the next handgun on my list is a S&W 617. I just enjoy the simplicity and skill required to operate a revolver.
This ties into my favorite purchase of 2020 which was a dedicated iron sight 20” AR 15. As I age the simplicity and skill of these “older technologies” appeal to a calmer more mature “me”.

I have my fancy AR with optics and lights as well as semiautomatics with lights and 18+ round magazines which I do recognize are superior for home defense and combat but for the range and EDC I do like a revolver.

So maybe not all what the OP was talking about but there are some of us young ones who do appreciate the wheelgun.

Posts: 198 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im 35, Love revolvers and Jerry Miculek is legend

Posts: 41 | Registered: May 18, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gman010:
Im 35, Love revolvers and Jerry Miculek is legend

Such a wonderful and an encouraging post, thank you.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 232 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell him that semi-auto's are for wimps and take him to the range with a revolver with full boat casul or 500 S+W magnums in it and have him shoot first.

I love .357 revolvers, but don't generally think of them for self defense.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I never enter the woods without my 637 & 5 rounds of snake shot. I have been known to AIWB a 642 loaded with Gold dots Wink

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've been working at home for the last year thanks to China and Queen Kate, and I pretty quickly got into the habit of wearing my Shield 9mm all the time. But before Covid I couldn't wear any CCW to the office (even knives are forbidden), so I wasn't in the habit of wearing a pistol a lot. But I would, when I needed to make a quick trip to the grocery store or whatever, usually just grab my old M36 J-frame and stick it in my coat pocket. It carries 135gr Gold Dots. I'm 62.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

Some of the younger officers want to learn how to shoot revolvers, most don't. I don't know why... Me? I'm pretty much happy to shoot anything I can get my hands around.

Are the disinterested newbies at least taught how to safely handle and unload revolvers they may have to take from suspects?

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
It seems like the days of the revolver were the days of marksmanship and skill. It took skill to control that smooth DA trigger and be on target at the exact moment when the hammer falls.

Now it seems like the strategy is just to buy a Glock and toss a lot of lead in the general direction of the target.

I was in Police training back in the 80's (I bounced out due to a medical condition beyond my control, so that was that). But, at that time the training was with revolvers, and there was a lot of effort put into trigger control, use of the sights, in particular the front sight, and getting tighter and tighter groups. My instructor said that once you master the smooth operation of your revolver's trigger, you will shoot it better than a semi-auto and I believed him.

I took a class just for fun about 8 years ago, and I was shocked that the strategy was basically, "point the gun at the target and keep shooting until you empty your gun." I was so disgusted at this training that I didn't pursue any more training. I felt the training I took in the 80's was real, and what I found 8 years ago was just "spray and pray" with no real skills to build.

I still long for the good old days of real revolver training.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post