SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Revolvers and the younger generation
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolvers and the younger generation Login/Join 
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted
A different thread got me thinking about the younger generation and their snubbing of revolvers for self defense. I’ll start with saying I’m a Gen Xr’ staring down the barrel of 50 later this year. When I started shooting and training nearly 30 years ago, the best trained instructor I had ever met or trained with back then carried a S&W 66 snubbie. It was amazing to watch him shoot. It got me hooked into revolvers and to this day wheel guns make up about half of my collection.

My 29 year old nephew looks at revolvers like they’re old nostalgic toys that only “boomers” should play with. Ironic, coming from a 1911 fanatic that is struggling to grasp the new lightweight wonder nines. He has a P365 but isn’t comfortable with it or shooting it well yet. His dad is a 1911 guy but has some revolvers like myself.

My 22 year old son loves his Glock 45 and X5 Legion and is shooting them extremely well after going through an OpSpec course last summer. The weird thing with him is he seems to really love revolvers too. Doesn’t look at them disparagingly like most kids his age and loves to train with me on them. My question, anyone else raise a kid that respects and likes old school “boomer” guns?

Any boomers or younger folks carrying revolvers other than J frames for self defense?

Posts: 2960 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Daughters are intimidated by my SAA, but both my sons love it. Ironically, my wife loves her Micro 9, but has already called dibs on the SAA when I take my dirt nap someday.

"I won't engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man."

Posts: 29 | Location: TX | Registered: October 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
36 here. I feel like for self defense they've been pretty severely outclassed by autos but I had a 686 at one point as a range toy and absolutely want a wheelgun in the collection again at some point.

Posts: 2190 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few J-Frames. Small concealable autos are not alway the most reliable things, and need be maintained well - kept clean and lubricated. Slides can be very stiff for some people to cycle. A J-Frame or similar sized revolver, is simple, easy to operate, reliable, and easy to load and unload and know the loading status. No bullet setback issues when loading either.

Revolvers are perfect for some people. Yeah 5 or 6 rounds isn't 10-12 but a speed loader gets you up to 10 or 12.

Full size revolvers aren't as compelling to me, but for certain applications like hunting or large animal protection, a .357 mag, .44 mag, or even bigger is more power than any semi-auto you can readily obtain, other than maybe a Desert Eagle.

To a kid who scoffs at revolvers - show them a Korth.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few observations from a 70-year old retired cop and Vietnam combat veteran:

About 10 years ago a young woman who worked for me also served as a certified handgun instructor. I attended one of her defensive handgun classes that was comprised mainly of young men in their 20s and 30s. I was carrying my old PPC competition piece, S&W Model 19 .357 magnum with 6" barrel in a Threepersons-style belt holster with Safariland speedloaders. There were a few derogatory remarks about the "old man" and his "antique wheelgun", but those stopped after a demonstration of 12 rounds (with reload) on 4 targets at 25 yards, timed at 14 seconds, each target receiving double-taps to the chest and one to the head. In response to one question about long-range shooting we set up a B27 silhouette at 100 yards, and I proceeded to put 12 rounds inside the 7-ring in 17 seconds, firing single-action.

In the late 1960s and early 1970s we could purchase a new S&W Combat Masterpiece (model 15, .38 Special) for about $120, a new Colt Python .357 magnum was about $150, or a new Colt Government Model .45 pistol was just under $100. GI surplus M1911A-1 pistols could be found for about $75-80, WW2 German P38 could be had for $50 or so, and WW1-WW2 Luger pistols were $40 to $50.

By 1990 the new "wonder nines" were taking over the law enforcement market. Perfectly good used S&W .38 revolvers could be had for $100 or less, S&W .357 revolvers might bring $140 or so, and Colt 1911-pattern .45 pistols were still under $200. But a new S&W 9mm pistol was $300-plus, and the much-sought Glocks were bringing $400-plus (civilian prices, they were practically giving them away to police departments to build market share).

By 2020 it became difficult to find a good S&W .38 special for $400-500, S&W .357 revolvers were bringing $700-1500, Colt Pythons were over $2000. But used Glocks, perfectly good used Sigs, and plenty of other "wonder nines" could be had for about $300-400. GI surplus M1911A1 pistols were closing in on $2000, depending on maker and originality (condition, finish, etc).

I carried a M1911A1 in combat in Vietnam, and frequently as my off-duty and plain-clothes handgun. I carried .357 magnum revolvers as a cop for most of my career. I own Browning, Sig, Colt, Kahr and other good semi-autos. After surgeries to my shoulder, elbow, and wrist I experienced a long period in which I could not easily handle combat semi-autos and I was quite sensitive to recoil, so I dug out a 40-plus year old S&W Model 64 .38 Special 2" barrel and felt perfectly well equipped.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can appreciate a revolver for what it is and what it can/can't do. For home defense, I don't think you can have a better gun to protect yourself with than a steel 38 or 357 revolver, depending on barrel size. It is easy for almost everyone to use as there are no tricky decockers, safeties,etc., to confuse people with, as you just pull the trigger. The weight of the gun works great with recoil sensitivity for new and old shooters. For ccw, I would prefer a semi-auto as there are more pros than cons-weight,width/size,reloading,etc.. My son loves my revolver and prefers it. They are fun and easy to use with no guess work to figure out.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Gen X here. I love revolvers but I have to say I haven’t carried one for a LONG time and even then it was a J-Frame for deep concealment.

That said I would be perfectly happy with an 8 shot N frame in the nightstand, a 7 shot L frame for normal carry and a J for deep carry. If I had to go to that layout tomorrow I’d be ok.

Like has been said though, there is no denying semi autos bring a huge amount to the table and modern polymers are both light and more importantly for me super easy to care for. Does one NEED the extra capability a semi auto brings for the vast number of documented self defense uses? Probably not but to have and not need is a helluva lot better then to need and not have. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add, my boomer dad was late to getting into firearms and scoffs at revolvers yet has trouble manipulating the slide of an auto. He recently got rid of his S&W shield and replaced it with an EZ. Every revolver I tried him on he claimed hurt his hands. His gun handling skills are down right frightening and he is more likely to shoot himself or my mother. I gave them a two hour private training session at our local indoor range, which they were excited to receive. It’s excuse after excuse as to why they haven’t scheduled or taken the time to do it. A revolver would be perfect for them but the internet told him he needs a Benelli M4 and a B&T APC9.

As to the J frames, I still have 642 that hasn’t seen any carry time lately. Not because I don’t trust it or like it, but I have I have a few Kimber K6s and a few Ruger Sp101s that I grab when I need something to bring along quickly. I’m trying to get my wife shooting with me and years ago before she stopped she always liked shooting the 642.

Posts: 2960 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm 36, so I guess that puts me in the "younger generation", at least compared to most here (although I did recently come to the realization that I'm closer to 50 than I am to 20!).

For me, it comes down to application. I carry an auto-loader on duty. It's issued, but even if it wasn't, I still would. The capacity and ease of reloads just makes sense for a duty gun in today's environment, especially when the potential exists that you'll be dealing with multiple threats. Off duty around town, I typically carry an autoloader as well. Jerry Miculek I'm not, and I'd much rather deal with a magazine reload under pressure than a speedloader or moonclip.

However, for many situations off-duty, a revolver is fine, or maybe even more appropriate. I hate tiny auto-loaders....the sights tend to suck, they don't fit my hand, and they don't carry well for me. I have a S&W 360J that is my athletic shorts pocket gun, and it serves very well in that role. Anywhere I'm wearing gym shorts (around the house, running country roads, out on the lake on the boat, etc.), I figure I'm not too likely to have to deal with more than one or two miscreants at a time, and I'm off duty avoiding fights rather than heading to them, so 5 rounds is perfectly adequate.

I have a 3" SP101 that is my hiking gun. It carries well, I shoot it well, and it packs a punch. I actually just took it to the range this week along with my G26 in preparation for an upcoming vacation, and I shot the 101 better than the Glock by a good margin.

I've also carried a Blackhawk in .45 Colt when backpacking in bear country. Being SA it's not the best defensive option, but I wanted something bigger than a .357, and it's all I had. I wish somebody made a 2.5-3" .45 colt DA snubby...I'm probably going to end up with a Model 69 or a 629PD at some point, but that means adding another caliber which I'm not terribly excited about. I wish the .45 Colt got a little more love from the modern revolver crowd.

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 50. Former military, current cop.
The vast majority of my shooting has been with semi-autos. However, one of my back-up guns is a S&W 340pd. Stil a huge fan of my Mod 66. There's a Ruger Vaquero in .44 that I like as well. And who doesn't like a Python?!?

Our favorite uncle sent me to Quantico a few times, and was taught how to really shoot well by some of the best in the business back in the early 90's. One of the main guns we used was the S&W Mod 19's and 66's during one of the courses. I still shoot a wheel gun really well.

I do get some interesting looks when I bring a wheel gun to the police range, especially now. Not so much back in the mid 90's when there was still a lot of revolver shooters. Every once and a while, one of the younger officers will laugh at the "old timer" with the grandfather gun. Occasionally I'll get one or two of the youngins that will put some more on the table, and I'm more than happy to take it from them.

Some of the younger officers want to learn how to shoot revolvers, most don't. I don't know why... Me? I'm pretty much happy to shoot anything I can get my hands around.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m 50, and while it has since been replaced as my EDC, I still occasionally carry my 340m&p. I also have a 38, 686, gp100 and a pair of Colt Detective Specials with one a 1950s vintage. Wish I had bought a Python back in the early 90s.

Posts: 1627 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A semi-auto is by far and away the best choice for self defense. Magazine capacity, ease of reloading, and modern reliability are common reasons for this. However, I am a huge fan of revolvers and for a lot of reasons, they are still relevant. Regardless, despite my banging the drum, our Revolvers' Only class remains the lowest attended class and I am considering dropping it altogether from the curriculum. People just don't see the value. I feel like I am shouting into the wind on this.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’m 38 and carried a Smith Model 10 snub for a while. Rally wish I had not traded that gun away and some day, I’ll own another one, but it went great in a coat pocket. Then again, I’ve carried other guns that some would consider a joke for carry, so I’m not exactly representative. I’m a firm believer in the first rule of “have a gun.” That said, I didn’t feel totally unprepared with a snub .38 loaded up with some +p hollow points and two speedstrips in my pocket.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
Got a pistol course coming up the end of July. Tatiana Whitlock is running the course. I imagine just about everybody will have an auto. I am bringing a DAO Ruger Service Six in .38 Special. My buddy asked why considering what I normally carry. I went through the Police Academy with a Security Six .357 and thought it would be a good refresher. 250 rounds. should be fun.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too am a dinosaur. I have and use revolvers as EDC and have good quality concealment holsters for them, including my Ruger Blackhawks. I dont feel that I am handicapped when I am revolver armed. I believe that a revolver, even an SAA, can resolve most self defense scenarios a non LEO may encounter. Is the auto pistol superior as a defensive weapon to a revolver? Of course it is, when you consider ease of reloading and capacity. Effective revolver use comes down to training to use it well. And since most formal training is auto pistol centered, it makes sense that revolver use has declined.
As for revolver use by people younger than I (age 65) I know a lot of young cops and only one I know routinely carries a revolver: An SP101.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Revolvers are a hard sell to the younger folks because... don't laugh games. I have asked why an individual will not consider the revolver and I have been told that it does not have enough rounds on board. I still take a revolver to open ranges and it is
seldom shot by any of the officers other than once. Once the officer empty's the 6 shots they usually say just like in the game not enough shots. Recoil management is also a consideration with some. VI...

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I just turned 60. I came up on revolvers. Carried a 19 then a 66 on the job when I started. Till 2003 when the State took them away.

I worked in a gunshop for 3 + years, due to sorry circumstances. And am now an adjunct instructor at the local indoor range. I see zero interest in revolvers. From any age group. Nobody considers them for serious use anymore. They all come in wanting the lightest, smallest, cheapest gun that carries a hundred rounds in the mag and recoils like a 22.

I still shoot revolvers well. And I wish I owned a semi auto that was as accurate as my 4 inch 66-2. There are occasions, still, that I think about strapping it on. But the threat has changed. I am far more likely to face two or more opponents in an unfortunate incident. And I am no longer capable of a fast reload on a sixgun.

And everytime I break out my carry gear for my 66, I hear my late partners voice in my head. I was not happy when we got new 9mm high cap pistols. I missed the 66. Until he told me "Of all the causes of death, nostalgia would be the stupidest thing to die from." Wise counsel. My revolvers will remain fun range guns. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
I only carry two handguns here in hot FLA. Model 60 2 inch, IWB, and Sig 225 custom shoulder rig...super comfortable.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both after 32 years on the job. Spent most of my career as a firearms instructor with a 80+ member PD. I also was part of the "transition" years from revolver to semi. Most of the younger officers start of with the "spray and pray" method until they get focused, they walk around with at least 40+ rounds where as I had a total of 18 rounds with the revolver..had to be sure you placed your first couple of rounds where they needed to be and we qualified from the 50 yrd line too! I have 2 sons who appreciate an older revolver and shoot then often.

Posts: 17 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: January 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Skinny guns are superior for defense, but that doesn't take away anything revolvers bring to the table imo.
There is an appeal to them that is tough to quantify. I don't think they will go away anytime soon.
In fact, when we bring guns to space colonies I guarantee a few revolvers will be there.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post