SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    CCI/Speer Lawman vs Blazer Brass---any difference?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCI/Speer Lawman vs Blazer Brass---any difference? Login/Join 
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted
I see that CCI/Speer makes both Blazer Brass and Lawman range ammo. Blazer Brass seems a bit cheaper and more plentiful. Any thoughts on differences in quality, if any? I have always bought Lawman but maybe it doesn't matter? Thanks for any info.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I think sometimes I have seen the Blazer brass loaded with a bullet that looks plated (cheaper looking projectile) other times it seems to
be loaded with a true Speer tmj bullet. The Lawman ammo I have always seen with a proper Speer TMJ. I would buy and shoot either but if the price were the same on both, I would favor getting the Lawman ammo.

Posts: 3121 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had the same experience as divil with some goofy looking bullets in Blazer. They're probably made on the same machine as Lawman but I prefer Lawman every time there's a choice.

Posts: 913 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thought Lawman was a little hotter.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:

they market it as the same poi as gold dot but they are both 1090 fps

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Having reloaded cases from both, it seems like the Lawman has a tougher grade of brass.

As others have said, projectiles also seem to have better QC than BB.

Further, the advertisement is a similar POI and recoil impulse to Gold Dot. In my observation, lawman certainly feels peppier in hand.

Lawman also I believe has a standard taper crimp, whereas BB has had it on some batches whereas others have not.

YMMV

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Decent video from Paul Harrell on this.

Posts: 1468 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've shot a lot of both and like both, Lawman always seems hotter.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
I've shot a lot of both and like both, Lawman always seems hotter.

The 115 Lawman which is used by many LEA's is rated at 1200 FPS.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:

they market it as the same poi as gold dot but they are both 1090 fps

The 115gr. Lawman is 1200 FPS.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lawman is hotter, cleaner and imho the whole cartridge is a couple of steps better than blazer brass. Speer lawman i think is nearly as good as you can get without buying SD loads.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
lawman is hotter, cleaner and imho the whole cartridge is a couple of steps better than blazer brass. Speer lawman i think is nearly as good as you can get without buying SD loads.

Not sure it is hotter when it has the same fps as the blazer. Cleaner possibilly !

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

Not sure it is hotter when it has the same fps as the blazer. Cleaner possibilly !

Anecdotally, Speer was about 50-60fps hotter last time I ran it through my chrono using my 8 inch MPX.

Which was not running the geco 115, or the blazer brass well. I attributed it to the gas tappet on the original cut-down 16" barrel I used to make it an sbr.

It cleared up after cleaning the gasblock, and would run blazer. The geco i got was a shit batch ranging from 780fps to 1100. Which turned out to be the reason it sucked in the MPX.

I do not remember off the top of my head the blazer was versus the speed, but the spear was slightly hotter. Hence why I look for it.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post