SIGforum
CCI/Speer Lawman vs Blazer Brass---any difference?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410601935/m/5320082484

August 18, 2021, 08:52 AM
FishOn
CCI/Speer Lawman vs Blazer Brass---any difference?
I see that CCI/Speer makes both Blazer Brass and Lawman range ammo. Blazer Brass seems a bit cheaper and more plentiful. Any thoughts on differences in quality, if any? I have always bought Lawman but maybe it doesn't matter? Thanks for any info.
August 18, 2021, 09:56 AM
divil
I think sometimes I have seen the Blazer brass loaded with a bullet that looks plated (cheaper looking projectile) other times it seems to
be loaded with a true Speer tmj bullet. The Lawman ammo I have always seen with a proper Speer TMJ. I would buy and shoot either but if the price were the same on both, I would favor getting the Lawman ammo.
August 18, 2021, 12:47 PM
Genorogers
I've had the same experience as divil with some goofy looking bullets in Blazer. They're probably made on the same machine as Lawman but I prefer Lawman every time there's a choice.
August 18, 2021, 05:20 PM
ulsterman
Thought Lawman was a little hotter.
August 18, 2021, 05:48 PM
Ronin101
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:

they market it as the same poi as gold dot but they are both 1090 fps
August 18, 2021, 07:49 PM
jjkroll32
Having reloaded cases from both, it seems like the Lawman has a tougher grade of brass.

As others have said, projectiles also seem to have better QC than BB.

Further, the advertisement is a similar POI and recoil impulse to Gold Dot. In my observation, lawman certainly feels peppier in hand.

Lawman also I believe has a standard taper crimp, whereas BB has had it on some batches whereas others have not.

YMMV

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight
August 31, 2021, 09:21 AM
FishOn
Thanks for the feedback.
August 31, 2021, 11:30 AM
powermad
Decent video from Paul Harrell on this.

August 31, 2021, 04:06 PM
mark60
I've shot a lot of both and like both, Lawman always seems hotter.
September 04, 2021, 07:43 PM
JBP55
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
I've shot a lot of both and like both, Lawman always seems hotter.

The 115 Lawman which is used by many LEA's is rated at 1200 FPS.
September 04, 2021, 07:44 PM
JBP55
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:

they market it as the same poi as gold dot but they are both 1090 fps

The 115gr. Lawman is 1200 FPS.
September 06, 2021, 08:45 AM
DSgrouse
lawman is hotter, cleaner and imho the whole cartridge is a couple of steps better than blazer brass. Speer lawman i think is nearly as good as you can get without buying SD loads.
September 06, 2021, 08:10 PM
Ronin101
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
lawman is hotter, cleaner and imho the whole cartridge is a couple of steps better than blazer brass. Speer lawman i think is nearly as good as you can get without buying SD loads.

Not sure it is hotter when it has the same fps as the blazer. Cleaner possibilly !
September 07, 2021, 08:49 AM
DSgrouse
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

Not sure it is hotter when it has the same fps as the blazer. Cleaner possibilly !

Anecdotally, Speer was about 50-60fps hotter last time I ran it through my chrono using my 8 inch MPX.

Which was not running the geco 115, or the blazer brass well. I attributed it to the gas tappet on the original cut-down 16" barrel I used to make it an sbr.

It cleared up after cleaning the gasblock, and would run blazer. The geco i got was a shit batch ranging from 780fps to 1100. Which turned out to be the reason it sucked in the MPX.

I do not remember off the top of my head the blazer was versus the speed, but the spear was slightly hotter. Hence why I look for it.