SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    What is the best all around .22LR round????
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best all around .22LR round???? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
What is the round that does it all as best as possible?
Reliable
Shoots well suppressed and unsuppressed
Acceptable accuracy at to 75 yards or so
Is terminally effective
From a pistol or rifle
Most importantly MUST CYCLE A SEMIAUTO.

Yes, I know it is kind of a silly question as there are tons of options.

But let’s just say someone were to provide you with a lifetime supply of .22LR ammo but you could only have 1 single flavor ever again, what would it be and why?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
The saying among everyone I know who has been shooting for a long time is that if it won't cycle dependably on anything else, it will with CCI ammo.

And it's accurate enough for me.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
But let’s just say someone were to provide you with a lifetime supply of .22LR ammo but you could only have 1 single flavor ever again, what would it be and why?

The answer I always hear is CCI Mini-Mag.

If you shoot suppressed, and subsonic is important to you, then perhaps CCI Quiet-22 is your answer.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would probably pick CCI's Mini Mag varmint round. It is a 36 grain HP @ 1260 FPS. The target Mini Mag is also good, 40 grain round nose @ 1235 FPS.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Standard velocities I shoot any number of different brands and all of them work well. If you're looking for a one and done brand, though, I'd go with CCI...22 is what they do.

Subsonics I use Gemtechs. Countless thousands of rounds and never a failure to cycle.

MkIII, MkIV, and three different 10/22s.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Vanilla Mini-Mag hp.

Used to be as plentiful and cheap as blades of grass. Sigh.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

#1 choice -- Lapua Center X
#2 -- Eley Match EPS
but I'd also take RWS R50 or Wolf Match Extra.

All are accurate, even at extended distances. All cycle my semi autos. All do what a 40 grain bullet can do.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Given the requirements of reliable, terminally effective and cycle a semiauto - that would remove subsonics from your depot.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Given the requirements of reliable, terminally effective and cycle a semiauto - that would remove subsonics from your depot.

Not it my experience. The ammo I listed above cycles my S&W 41 pistol and my JP AR-22lr upper flawlessly. Shot at least a couple of those varieties in a buddy's 10/22 and an instructor's Volquartsen without issues.

Many moons ago I cleared prairie dogs from a couple of horse pastures with Federal 711B and CCI Standard -- both subsonic 40-grain LRN. Distances to PDs were generally around 50 yards, but varied from 25 to 75-ish yards. The ammo worked quite well.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, it was Federal Gold Medal Match (not the Ultra). Today it’s CCI Standard (blue box). My S&W 41 and tweaked 10/22 always ran and grouped very well with it.

On a budget, Federal AutoMatch has also been a consistent performer.

Posts: 327 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not it my experience.

That's the problem with the this discussion when discussing it in the abstract, it matters a whole lot what guns are involved. Round numbers I've probably got 30? semiauto .22's. Of all the different configurations about half of them need minimags to run reliably. The rest don't care. If the OP says a specific list of guns then we can advise with some assurance but as a general principle, not all of them run reliably with std. velocity ammo.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
For my rimfires I stick with:

CCI Mini-Mag 40 gr
Aquila .22 Super Extra 40 gr. 1255fps.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
Not it my experience.

That's the problem with the this discussion when discussing it in the abstract, it matters a whole lot what guns are involved. Round numbers I've probably got 30? semiauto .22's. Of all the different configurations about half of them need minimags to run reliably. The rest don't care. If the OP says a specific list of guns then we can advise with some assurance but as a general principle, not all of them run reliably with std. velocity ammo.

While I understand it is a bit of an oddball question.
The question is what is the best ALL AROUND 22 ammo.
That you are confident it would do what it is supposed to in any .22 firearm you put it in.
It may not be the best .22 ammo given the circumstance.
But what .22 ammo would you have if you could only have 1 type of ammo regardless of what .22 you may be firing it from.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
CCI Standard velocity .22 LR.

Posts: 270 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
have only one choice, must run semi in ANY .22. I'm using CCI minimags. And that's what I do normally. I use match ammo in bolt guns that's subsonic as that's what's needed for accuracy but everyday, all day I shoot minimags otherwise.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
CCI Mini-Mag 40 gr
Aquila .22 Super Extra 40 gr. 1255fps.

Ditto here!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another fan of CCI standard velocity. If it does not work with them, then it enters the catagory of a picky with ammo gun for me.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sweet Chuckie
posted Hide Post
For me, I'd go with the CCI Mini-Mag hollow points, or American Eagle hollow points. To pick just one, I'd go with American Eagle.

Posts: 250 | Location: White Sulphur Springs, MT | Registered: December 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
CCI Mini-Mag 40gr or Blazer 40gr.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Walmart has had a good stock of MiniMags both 36gr for $10 and 40gr for $11 I have been buying the limit as frequently as I can.

quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

#1 choice -- Lapua Center X
#2 -- Eley Match EPS
but I'd also take RWS R50 or Wolf Match Extra.

All are accurate, even at extended distances. All cycle my semi autos. All do what a 40 grain bullet can do.

Do you have a good source for these in these wonderful times of ammo availability??

————————————————