SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Need a very quite 22 not using a suppressor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a very quite 22 not using a suppressor Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted
Have a major squirrel problem here in suburbia setting. Houses are close, we do have bamboo that blocks out some of the neighbors. Squirrels drive my terrier nuts and are so bold they come up on our 2nd story deck and hassle the dog inside at t he glass door. Used Have-a-heart trap and just drove away the 26th squirrel and relocated it 4 miles away. Feel like I need a new approach. Still have my bolt action 22lr I got at age 12. Want a quiet round. CCI makes a 22 they say is 75% quiter than a regular 22lr. Wonder about a 22cb-cap if they still make them. Anyone use those rounds and if so where do you buy them?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1600 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Aguila Super Colibri is about the quietest I know of for rifle use. The regular Colibri will stick in many rifle length barrels.

They are both CB type loads in long cases.

Any of the specialty type .22 ammo can be hard to find. Ammoseek can be useful in finding it online.

Posts: 27158 | Location: TOAD SUCK, AR | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Invest the money into a nice quiet airgun in your choice of caliber. A quick trip to your local sporting goods store or even Walmart will yield the tool you are seeking for far less than you’d expect. Accuracy can be phenomenal and they carry terminal velocity at suburbia distances.

Posts: 3023 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
22CB is primer only--haven't seen any on the shelf. Low velocity 22LR --AKA suppressor type 22 LR is more available.
CCI Quiet 22 is 780 fps. Also very accurate--wait for squirrel to be upright for a center of mass shot. No over penetration at 30-40ft.

Posts: 2367 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suburbia? Where will a bullet land that misses or shoots through a rodent?

Posts: 3320 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Anything that will humanely kill a squirrel will pass through, so as with any shooting it’s essential to be aware of what’s beyond the target.
For that specific purpose, another vote for an airgun. There are many Internet videos of effectively using that method on squirrels.

And although I don’t know your situation, there can be significantly less legal liability if one is discovered using an airgun rather than any firearm in an urban setting.

I do have a couple of boxes of CCI “Quiet” ammunition, but haven’t gotten around to trying it yet. I am interested in knowing not only how loud it is, but also the point of impact. I have tried the Aquila Colibri and although it’s very quiet I wasn’t impressed with POI or accuracy.

Added: Another thing to possibly consider if you just want to send a, “Go away, and don’t come back,” message is an airsoft pistol. They are reasonably accurate at close distances and even if you don’t connect with every shot it may still condition them to find someplace else to terrorize.

From a humane standpoint, though, I don’t know if a typical airsoft pistol might inflict injuries that would ultimately be lethal, but not immediately. The pellets from my pistol punch through multiple layers of cardboard, and I’ve seen them draw blood from unprotected skin.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47655 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've used .22 CB loads in a 22/45 pistol to dispatch a couple troublesome possums before. They're quieter than regular .22LR, but not what I would characterize as "very quiet". It's still recognizable as a gunshot.

In addition, as already mentioned above, low power CB loads could have issues with the added friction from the longer barrel on a rifle, potentially resulting in squibs blocking the barrel.

And, also as mentioned, you're still firing an actual firearm towards/around your neighbors' houses, which could cause some legal or liability issues.

So another vote for an airgun here. It'll be quieter, safer, and more legal.

Posts: 33023 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Benjamin Trail NP XL .22 cal pellet rifle. I have dispatched many pests wit it. 1100 fps.

Much quieter than Colibri or Super Colibri.

Posts: 1132 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yep, airgun. No concerns about legalities and there’s a variety of guns and pellets that will absolutely get the job done.

Posts: 17607 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, looks like an air rifle is in my future. I am cognizant of other houses, there are angles of fire that avoid hitting anyone's property.

Whenever shooting I think of backstop.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1600 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was given a Ruger brake action Springer. I have used on many gray and red squirrels.
I think you can get a pellet gun with a muffler to cut down on the noise also.

Posts: 408 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Yep, airgun. No concerns about legalities and there’s a variety of guns and pellets that will absolutely get the job done.

Check your city or municipality laws where I live they even airguns are not allowed in city limits.

Posts: 1213 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeeperxd:
Check your city or municipality laws ....

Good advice about something that applies in many more places than many people assume.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47655 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how wacking them is more effective than trapping them, each method eliminates one varmint. The first time you wound one and it starts running around the neighbors yard making a racket you will wish you had just bought an extra trap or two... I live rural enough to get rid of them either way and for chipmonks and tree rats I trap and transport...

Posts: 59 | Registered: January 26, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I have one of these and it will definitely dispatch squirrels with prejudice.

https://www.amazon.com/Gamo-61...aps%2C78&sr=8-1&th=1

And this one is supposed to be quieter.

https://www.amazon.com/WildCat...01APG0T7W&th=1&psc=1

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10568 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I have a Gamo Whisper, and with heavy (normal lead) pellets the projectile is subsonic and is very quiet. With alloy pellets it can be supersonic and you still hear a very audible "crack".

Also, while it doesn't sound like a gunshot, the pistion "thwang" or "doink" is quite loud. Definitely louder than a quiet .22 out of a bolt action. But, legalities on a firearm are a strong consideration.

Posts: 3524 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’d have to lean a covert trap line. You’re already versed with using the live trap, bait & all. I think 4, 110 Conibear type traps would be more effective than shooting.

Yes, of course, pet proof & out of sight of neighbor activity. You run the risk of wounding anyway with a pellet rifle.

I had a relative in MI with a red squirrel problem, chipmunks also. He caught more with traps than he ever would with shooting.

Traps work 24/7, no worries being seen sticking a gun out the window.

Posts: 6382 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
One more vote for 22 pellet rifle. I have/used Gamo Whisper Fusion. I'd suggest heavier pellets for accuracy and to keep at subsonic speeds (950fps), and it is quieter than the subsonic 22s I have tried. Plus, no powder smell. Accurate and =/- just 1" within 40+ yards.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2077 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I have a very old .22 revolver that shoots subsonic ammo from my kitchen window pretty accurately and very quietly. I’ve giving it the ‘test’ by having a friend in ear shot.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12398 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Another vote for airgun. I have a Crosman single shot th is pretty dang accurate and much quieter than any 22

Posts: 4093 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post