SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Need a very quite 22 not using a suppressor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a very quite 22 not using a suppressor Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Good suggestions so far, just be aware that airguns can still be loud enough for your neighbors to call the cops. I found that out when I was 14.

If you cannot get an airgun, have you tried dosing the outer edges of your property with capsaicin on the trees, roof edges and maybe in a spray bottle? Might make your house less worthwhile than the neighbor's without, hopefully, getting your terrier.

Posts: 3101 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I caught 3 in live traps last week and dispatched 2 more with a air gun.

Neighbors…on one side, the are only here 2 months a year and on their yacht the remainder. On the other side, he comes to me when he needs ammo and also sold me a pistol a few years ago.

But, live traps work when I am not here. Bait them with peanuts.

I lost too many vegetables in the garden last year to squirrels and rabbits.

Posts: 1132 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
One more vote for 22 pellet rifle. I have/used Gamo Whisper Fusion. I'd suggest heavier pellets for accuracy and to keep at subsonic speeds (950fps), and it is quieter than the subsonic 22s I have tried. Plus, no powder smell. Accurate and =/- just 1" within 40+ yards.

I have this as well and it is nice and accurate. The pellets hitting the cardboard boxes I shoot at is the loudest part.

It likes RWS Super Points and Gamo Red Fire

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25661 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I have one of these and it will definitely dispatch squirrels with prejudice.

https://www.amazon.com/Gamo-61...aps%2C78&sr=8-1&th=1

And this one is supposed to be quieter.

https://www.amazon.com/WildCat...01APG0T7W&th=1&psc=1

You are a man of my true nature…I effing hate squirrels (they have attacked my attic with much effort in the past and I have made it my to remove them from the life stream one .177 pellet at a time (my dogs get excited when they see me with the pellet rifle…they totally enjoy picking up the vermin…dead or not…and running around the yard…look what I did dad Big Grin…my Karen neighbor (she feeds them) has called the police complaining of my eradication of “her squirrels”…but to no avail… just shoot quietly friends Wink Wink Wink

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot shovel and shutup:-)

My brother and I built a house on a view lot for my mom. It had a multi-thousand dollar mega deck. We didn't foresee that my mom would feed "the pretty little birds" and that the squirrels thought that the noshfest was for them. We left that for my mom to deal with as she created the issue, and she kept complaining about the pee and shit on the deck but it fell on deaf ears.

The party came to an end when the rodents, who had grown from 1 or 2 into a gang, started hanging around and started chewing on the deckwood in their free time. Not in a small way either. A cheap old daisy pump BB gun air rifle and a terrier was all it took to get it back under control. Aim for the head for a quick end. If you miss, you usually get a second shot. Wham, rodent falls to the ground, let the dog out to end it quick if your shot only knocked it off the handrail.

BB guns are quiet, cheap, accurate at close range and less problematic if your missed shot ricochets off of some unseen object.

Posts: 1947 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CPD103
posted Hide Post
I'm using a piston powered 22 air rifle (Benjamin Prowler) with 14.5 grain pellets. Death for squirrels out to 35 yards. I clocked these pellets with my chronograph and they average 780 fps.

Posts: 5 | Location: Warner Robins Ga | Registered: June 07, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Trap and Rain Barrel Swimming Lessons - Especially a day before the Trash man.

Posts: 504 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto the comments regarding potential legal issues in discharging a firearm in populated areas.

Many municipalities prohibit air rifles, and may go as far as outlawing slingshots.

Another possible issue would be game laws. Squirrels are usually considered game animals subject to licensing, seasons, bag limits, etc. (Here in Colorado, for example, rattlesnakes are protected, hunting season, small game license, daily bag and possession limits, blah, blah, blah).

As annoying as squirrels can be, a little research up front could be better than a summons, court appearances, legal fees, fines, all the usual.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1110 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I was just helping a lady with some rodent issues, near the top was chipmunks, around and inside the garage. They were also digging up things in her garden.

Her favorite method was a newer type of electric trap, it electrocutes the critter, dead. She has Victor, there are others.

I’m not sure how it would work with a larger squirrel. There would be reviews. It’s quiet, covert, works 24/7.

Posts: 6382 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post