SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    NFA wait times
Page 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... 127
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NFA wait times Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I was searching for something else and an odd table came up from an ATF NFA report.
I don't do images so i can't post it...
But some fun facts...
There are according to the ATF pending paper NFA applications still pending from 2012-2020.
There are lots of them in 2021 but you would expect that. But some poor suckers are stuck in NFA purgatory for way more than a year like several.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hrcjon,

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i will be coming up on a year later this summer on a kiosk app. from silencerco. Hoping it gets approved soon.
It is ridiculous.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12 months and counting on my oldest paper one. But while I know not everybody can afford this (this was a cheap .22lr can), when efile arrived I just bought another one of the same thing and had it in my hands in 100 days. Its totally silly but that's the circumstances we are facing.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I am a bit over 12 months on my paper one.
Did and efile about 60 days ago.

We’ll see which I get first.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
so what is this efile of which you speak.

Is it just an online application of a paper or kiosk type form 4?

I am confused. And it is 10 months faster? What am i missing here?????

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
so what is this efile of which you speak.

Is it just an online application of a paper or kiosk type form 4?

I am confused. And it is 10 months faster? What am i missing here?????

It is essentially an online filing of a Paper Form 4, similar to the eFile version of the Form 1. The dealer fills out the form 4 on the ATF website, digital photos are uploaded, any documentation (like trust paperwork) is uploaded, and payment (via credit card) is done as part of the submission. Fingerprints are either sent on on paper cards like normal, or attached via a digital file (but they are required to be in a specific format). The goal was 90 day turnarounds. Some of the early eForm 4s came back in less than 90 days, but now they seem to be running 120 days or more. Mine is over 125 days, and I’m still waiting. Paper Form 4s seem to be about a year wait now.

https://www.nationalguntrusts....p-walk-through-guide

https://www.silencershop.com/atf-wait-times

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple weeks ago, I had a form 1 approved in 12 days. I absolutely couldn’t believe it. Outstanding job ATF!!!!!!!

I have a form 4 right at 92 days so will still be fantastic if approved in the next couple weeks.

Posts: 140 | Registered: April 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is essentially an online filing of a Paper Form 4, similar to the eFile version of the Form 1. The dealer fills out the form 4 on the ATF website, digital photos are uploaded, any documentation (like trust paperwork) is uploaded, and payment (via credit card) is done as part of the submission. Fingerprints are either sent on on paper cards like normal, or attached via a digital file (but they are required to be in a specific format). The goal was 90 day turnarounds. Some of the early eForm 4s came back in less than 90 days, but now they seem to be running 120 days or more. Mine is over 125 days, and I’m still waiting. Paper Form 4s seem to be about a year wait now.

So how is this different that using the Silencerco kiosk at the dealer. Why would a dealer use the silencerco kiosk then, when basically it sounds like virtually the same thing as the efile version?

posted Hide Post
The kiosk more or less is a convenient way for you to get into the Silencer Shop system. Once everything is in there, they keep you trust, prints, photos and they assist by filling out the form and as I understand it have a print low denial rate. Once in their system, you are only a couple clicks away from ordering a suppressor any time you want. You do have to electronically sign and then certify but for me it just simplifies things as an end user. Some people love it, some people hate it. For me, it is convenient.

posted Hide Post
is a silencerco kiosk the same as a silencer shop one? In any case silencer shop gives you and the dealer a way to easily file an efile F4. that efile at the moment is likely to beat a paper F4 by 8 or more months. its a total system to the dealer including the F3 to him etc.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
is a silencerco kiosk the same as a silencer shop one? In any case silencer shop gives you and the dealer a way to easily file an efile F4. that efile at the moment is likely to beat a paper F4 by 8 or more months. its a total system to the dealer including the F3 to him etc.

My bad. I was referencing the SilencerShop kiosk. I am not familiar w a silencerco kiosk.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
My paperwork came back on my Rugged Razor on my Birthday! Took 400 days...

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
Dealer called today and said the stamp was in. I am 10 days past the one year mark.

Posts: 1359 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EForm 4 for a suppressor. Certified/submitted 1/21/22. Approved 6/7/22. 137 days.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's one of the longest I've heard, lets hope its not the new norm. My 1/21 one (date because of SS snafu for me) came back just over 100 days. I get the impression the ATF is slowly loosing the battle on volume. But so far the worst EF4 I've heard is way way better than any paper one.

posted Hide Post
The initial eForm 4 90 day approvals were likely due to limited use of the eForms system when it first launched due to the learning curve and stability issues.

I have a number of eForm 4s pending for customers back to mid January. I've had exactly one come back in 92 days and everything else is pending.

The trouble with NFA wait time speculation is that it is based on approvals only and does nothing to consider scope.

I recently submitted three eForm 4s about as quick as I could click through and ended up with control numbers about 45 apart between the first and third one. Figuring I took about fifteen minutes, that's 180 forms an hour. ATF's website claims an average of 388,000 forms processed per year for the last five years (512,000 in 2020). In 2005, there were only 41,000 forms processed.

Now not all of these are Form 4s...probably well under half. The average suppressor is going to go on a Form 2 (notification of manufacture to ATF), Form 3 (manufacturer to distributor) another Form 3 (distributor to dealer), and finally a Form 4 (dealer to buyer). All Form 1s (self-built) and Form 5s (government) and a variety of other forms get a control number, too.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's disappointing news. Me personally have a string of them starting on 1/21 and the ATF is up through but not concluding 2/11 is the latest one pending. That there are many others from Jan pending is not good news.

posted Hide Post
Have one certified 2/27 eform 4. Guess I shouldn’t expect it for a bit at this point.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Paperwork completed 05-07-2021 for a Sparrow, Check cashed 05-19-2021. Stamp arrived 06-06-2022.
I did an efile sometime in March but I don’t expect to see that anytime soon.

quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
The initial eForm 4 90 day approvals were likely due to limited use of the eForms system when it first launched due to the learning curve and stability issues.

I have a number of eForm 4s pending for customers back to mid January. I've had exactly one come back in 92 days and everything else is pending.

All of our eForms done in December have been completed and all the ones done the 1st 2 weeks of January have also been completed.
Nothing filed after the 2nd week of January has come back yet.
So sounds like everyone is rowing the same boat.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Just got an approval this morning for my Nomad Ti purchased from Capitol Armory. eForm 4 trust submission. First NFA item I've ever done on a trust.

Submitted on April 1 and approved June 15. That's only 75 days.

Strangely though, the eForm 4 individual I filed for my Mod9x on March 16 hasn't come through yet....

At any rate, that's 75 days for one of them. Two weeks better than the pie-in-the-sky approval time.

I do have to wait for Capitol Armory to ship it to me, though.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post