SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Keeping tax stamp on hand just in case ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keeping tax stamp on hand just in case ? Login/Join 
posted
Recently got my first tax stamp item. In case I’m ever questioned by LE at the range, it is recommended to keep a copy of the stamp handy even a photo on my phone ? Any lay person who questions my legality I will gently advise to go kick rocks. But a uniformed law officer who feels the need to ask.. can they legally ask to see it ? Do you keep a copy with you ?

Posts: 4733 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can they legally ask to see it? Probably not. However, NFA items are technically illegal in a number of states, with an exemption for those legally owned via the NFA process. Florida is like that. If the cops at a range see you shooting a machine gun, they could ask if you have a tax stamp for it. You could legally say it’s none of your business, and they could legally take you in for suspected illegal possession of a machine gun, and then you sit there until it gets worked out.

The reality is that most cops wouldn’t bother asking, but if they wanted to be dicks, they could be. Have to ask yourself if it’s really worth it.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Place the original in the safe and always keep a copy with the NFA weapon.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:

This ^^^^^^^^^^

In 35 years of owning and shooting Full Auto Weapons I have been called off the firing line a total of four times.

Two times at the club I have been a member of for the past 15 years by a different club board member on separate occasions asking to see my “legal paperwork” for the specific weapon I was shooting.

On a separate occasion at a different family owned gravel pit range way out in the country I was asked to unload my weapon, place on the ground, and step away from the weapons once by law enforcement over their vehicle bull horn and then asked to see my “legal right to own and shoot” paperwork.

On another separate location and time multiple law enforcement announced their presence by use of their vehicle sirens and lights. As soon as I heard the siren behind me, I unloaded the weapon, set it on the bench, and slowly stepped away from the weapons by 30 feet towards the law enforcement vehicles clearing showing I had no other weapons on me. Then one of the two units approached, respectfully asked for ID and proof of weapon registration. The second vehicle remained 100-150 feet away until the primary unit radioed that all was ok and there was no threat.

In all four situations I had my weapon’s registration on site and provided proof without hesitation and without attitude - following the instructions of the law enforcement officials. They were responding to a call of “automatic weapons firing in the area” and were doing their job.

I have a 1” three ring binder that is my “range book” where I have clear plastic sleeves where I have a two sided copy of all approved BATF forms for every SMG, Suppressor, and SBR I own and whenever I take any of these with me to shoot the book goes with me and I always keep my wallet in my pocket also…..

In every situation once the paperwork was shown (not sure if all knew what they were looking at) the requestor thanked me and said be careful. One law enforcement officer asked if he could shoot one of the SMG’s I had and I said - Yes Sir you can. After he shot he offered to pay for the ammo he shot…..Good folks doing a thankless job so why not be respectful and as nice as one can be rather than being a di*k…..

Posts: 3235 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:

This is the simplest and best answer.

Can the police ask to see your approved form and stamp? I'd submit that they can ask to see anything and the correct question is whether or not they can demand to see it and what can happen if you don't/won't/can't produce it.

My observation of the law enforcement world and NFA items is this: the cops that know enough to even know what they're looking at probably just do not care about your paperwork. The cops that don't, probably don't know what they're looking at.

If it were me, and somebody asked to see my NFA paperwork, I'd just show them and move on with my life.

Posts: 5141 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I’m unclear whether I’m required to show any LE officer my paperwork or just BATFE. I wouldn’t refuse to start shit, just curious.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
What the DaBigBR said...

ATF agent is the one who has the authority on NFA items.

Fully auto fire is "news" worthy. Suppressed fire -- who hears it?

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of sig 226
posted Hide Post
As others have stated, I keep a copy of the forms with me. I also have the PDF copies on my phone as a back up.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2654 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am admittedly super bad about this. The cops would be following me home, if they really had to see my stamp. I wouldn't be nasty about it; I am just not squared-away on that front. Granted, I don't ever shoot at public ranges, so my chances of running into any kind of busybody are slim.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Posts: 2066 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would absolutely have it. Under Federal law you need to have it with you. And in my State and I would venture most States possession is illegal with an exception if its Federally registered. Therefore they have the right to arrest you if you don't have it in your possession. Thus not having it opens up all kinds of bad prospects.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10965 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
As others have stated, I keep a copy of the forms with me. I also have the PDF copies on my phone as a back up.

This is what I do. I have never been asked to see them. I was at an outdoor range with my kids when we were approached by an atf guy. He was there with his father and his father asked if my suppressors and sbrs were illegal. He tried explaining stamps to his father but never asked to see mine. I let his father shoot a few things. They thanked us and went back to the pistol side. That was the extent of our interaction.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
I am just not squared-away on that front. Granted, I don't ever shoot at public ranges, so my chances of running into any kind of busybody are slim.

A number of years ago, a friend and I were shooting in a gravel pit outside of Mobile, Ala. on a Sunday. Two ATF folks showed up and ask to see the paperwork. One just never knows when you will be called on to show proof of legality on NFA weapons.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well dang. I need to get my shit together.

Posts: 2066 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
I am admittedly super bad about this. The cops would be following me home, if they really had to see my stamp. I wouldn't be nasty about it; I am just not squared-away on that front. Granted, I don't ever shoot at public ranges, so my chances of running into any kind of busybody are slim.

This is me ^^

"the soul of a dog is pure"

Posts: 263 | Location: VA | Registered: June 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well dang. I need to get my shit together.

"the soul of a dog is pure"

Posts: 263 | Location: VA | Registered: June 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum's Official
Metalhead
Picture of DTREND75
posted Hide Post
I make photocopies of the stamp and fold them up and place them in the Magpul grips of the gun. That way I always have it with the gun.

Sensitive and caring since August 2009

Some people are like a Slinky....not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Posts: 3808 | Location: PSST! Look behind you! | Registered: July 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Can they legally ask to see it? Probably not. However, NFA items are technically illegal in a number of states, with an exemption for those legally owned via the NFA process. Florida is like that. If the cops at a range see you shooting a machine gun, they could ask if you have a tax stamp for it. You could legally say it’s none of your business, and they could legally take you in for suspected illegal possession of a machine gun, and then you sit there until it gets worked out.

The reality is that most cops wouldn’t bother asking, but if they wanted to be dicks, they could be. Have to ask yourself if it’s really worth it.

This^^ I'm fairly certain local LEOs don't really have any jurisdiction over NFA items, but that doesn't mean they can't detain you and wait for an ATF agent if they wanted to. Why put yourself through it? Just show them your paperwork if they ask and go on with your day

I'm typically all about the piss off its none of your business attitude, but you knew when you got the NFA items there was a registration and some sort of accountability with them so why put yourself through more of a headache than you need to...

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The local police may have no “jurisdiction” over NFA items, but why would they not be able to investigate to determine whether something was legally possessed under the provisions of state law, i.e., that it was properly registered and therefore exempt from the prohibition otherwise? That is not something I ever considered, but it certainly makes sense to me.

Or perhaps:

Car stop.
“I see that you have a quantity of what appear to be explosives in your car. Do you have a license to possess them?”
“Yes.”
“May I see it, please?”
“No. It’s a Federally-issued license and you have no jurisdiction in the matter.”
“Okay, drive safely.”

Or how about.
“License and registration, please.”
“This car is not registered in this state, and therefore you have no jurisdiction over it.”
“Oh, okay. Have a nice day and drive safely.”

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm fairly certain local LEOs don't really have any jurisdiction over NFA items

I don't get this or the corresponding thoughts by Dwill104.
I think in almost every State there is a prohibition on possession with an exception for properly NFA registered items (does you State actually permit machineguns? I'd like to see one that does?)
So in that case the local police have a State law violation and of course they have jurisdiction on that.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10965 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The local police may have no “jurisdiction” over NFA items, but why would they not be able to investigate to determine whether something was legally possessed under the provisions of state law, i.e., that it was properly registered and therefore exempt from the prohibition otherwise? That is not something I ever considered, but it certainly makes sense to me.

Or perhaps:

Car stop.
“I see that you have a quantity of what appear to be explosives in your car. Do you have a license to possess them?”
“Yes.”
“May I see it, please?”
“No. It’s a Federally-issued license and you have no jurisdiction in the matter.”
“Okay, drive safely.”

Or how about.
“License and registration, please.”
“This car is not registered in this state, and therefore you have no jurisdiction over it.”
“Oh, okay. Have a nice day and drive safely.”

If I were king for a day...

Posts: 10822 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post