SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Keeping tax stamp on hand just in case ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keeping tax stamp on hand just in case ? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I’m a LEO and if someone was shooting full auto stuff at our member’s only private range I don’t want to see the paperwork I want to see the full auto gun. Because it’s freakin’ cool!!!

Besides I highly doubt that Joe Shitbag is going to go to a private range and start ripping off rounds to be honest w/ you.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I mean I guess they could go down the path of citizens arrest and claim they witnessed a Felony being committed in their presence, but that seems like a stretch at the very least.

Which would open them up to severe civil liability for false arrest, or possibly criminal charges for criminal confinement. What probable cause do they have that a felony is being committed? Sure, you have clear possession of an NFA item, but what evidence do they have that you don't possess the documentation to go with it? They have to have both elements, and since you're not legally obligated to show them, how are they establishing their PC to make the "arrest"?

"Hey grandpa, how did you get to own your own gun range?"

"Well, there was this one time I went to the range on lunch break with my suppressor..." Big Grin.

The more likely scenario, if they are a representative of a private business, is they can ask you to leave, and if you refuse you might be arrested for criminal trespass. I'm not sure why they would feel the need to ask in the first place, but it may be their company policy.

Personally, I don't see the harm in showing my tax stamp if requested by a representative of a facility who's services I'm utilizing...their house, their rules. If I can't live within them, I'll patronize a different establishment. It it's a Cop/ATF agent...sure, I'll show them, too, because it's the easiest way to prove nothing is amiss and allow me to go on with my life. If it's just some busybody Karen, though, they can go pound sand.

Posts: 8569 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like others have said, I keep a copy in the case. Only time the cops ever came out, the deputy said, "We have received reports of automatic weapons fire at this location."

I responded, "The reports are accurate."

He glanced at the copy of the Form 4, assured himself we had an adequate backstop, had not been drinking and reluctantly declined an invitation to shoot before leaving.

Posts: 4 | Location: Fort Knox | Registered: July 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
I always keep a copy of the Form 1/3/4 with my NFA stuff and take them with me when I play with them. I keep the originals in a safe.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I responded, "The reports are accurate."

He glanced at the copy of the Form 4, assured himself we had an adequate backstop, had not been drinking and reluctantly declined an invitation to shoot before leaving.

Your response is awesome, and his reaction is pretty much identical to what mine would have been...and if the bodycam wasn't working I'd have been sorely tempted to take you up on the offer lol. Big Grin

I actually helped run a scenario at one of our training days a couple of years back that was pretty much exactly that...call to private property for shots fired, upon arrival discover property owner and friends shooting rifles into an adequate backstop. Most of the seasoned guys handled it appropriately ("Awesome, have fun guys, thanks for talking to us!"), while it was clearly a useful experience for some of the less-experienced younger officers.

Posts: 8569 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I believe keeping a copy of the stamp with the registered item is a requirement, not just a good idea.

I keep originals in a paper safe. I keep copies in a binder in my "shop." I keep copies in the glove compartment of my car. Engraving is a requirement, it's going to be you or your trust and location. "Hey, it's in the car" should work.

Mine are all individual, I forgot and had to blur some photos I've recently posted and reupload.

If you're being safe, and they give you static, fuck them, but be polite. If you're being a dong with your registered NFA item, stop it, you're making the rest of us look bad.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have copies of all my NFA paperwork saved to my google drive. So I can access it anywhere with my phone or if I didn't have it I could log in on the officers laptop if he really wanted to see it.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post